HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:14 AM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Discussion
CG for ST-Models ASW28?????

Just bought an ST-Models ASW28 sailplane from Tower Hobbies and am trying to understand the recommended CG which is usually measured from the leading edge of the wing along the fuse. The manual shows a photo of 5mm +/-3mm from an arbitrary point in the center portion of the wing. The Tower Website states "Center of Gravity (CG): 0.20" (5mm) from the aft section of the wing measured at the fuselage".........huh? I haven't been drinking tonight so why can't I understand what the CG is? Is it just 5mm back from the leading edge of the wing? What are you guys using?
Riodiler1 is offline Find More Posts by Riodiler1
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Jul 2005
164 Posts
Cg

My interpretation of Tower's CG instruction would be 5 mm forward of the trailing edge of the wing, measured at the intersection of the wing with the fuselage.
oct2633 is offline Find More Posts by oct2633
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oct2633 View Post
My interpretation of Tower's CG instruction would be 5 mm forward of the trailing edge of the wing, measured at the intersection of the wing with the fuselage.

Thanks. It would be great to know what cg people have been using with this plane with good success.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:58 PM
Say it with a Venom
Grimsby
Joined Jan 2007
50 Posts
The arbitary point on the wing is the carbon spar, the c/g should be 5mm in front of the spar.Fly it using this point then move it back to suit your flying style.
slopegod is online now Find More Posts by slopegod
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2005
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopegod View Post
The arbitary point on the wing is the carbon spar, the c/g should be 5mm in front of the spar.Fly it using this point then move it back to suit your flying style.
Thanks Slopegod!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Jun 2012
6 Posts
My interpretation of the described CoG is different...

The manual image shows the front edge of the servo lead cover as being the base line for the 5mm measurement. The servo lead cover is the EPO insert that travels from the wing root to the servo.
I have flown mine with this CoG & it flies very nicely.

I also reinforced the wingtips with cotton cloth coated in CA - does the trick but does result in wing flutter in high speed dives.

WARNING: If you measure the CoG from the trailing edge you will be in a very unstable, tail heavy scenario.
BaronBaz is offline Find More Posts by BaronBaz