HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2012, 12:42 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
There are two molded lines on the bottom of the fuselage, The CG I am showing is from the second line. Trying to measure the CG from the leading edge is not really possible as there is a large radius there. That is why I chose to measure the CG from a spot that should be molded on every model in the same spot.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2012, 10:03 PM
Schwalbe
Australia, WA, Yokine
Joined Aug 2011
318 Posts
Hi Don,
Going by your photos above it looks like you have to CoG pretty close the where SkyAngel recommend it be? I was wondering if you had made any other mods because I have my CoG in that spot and I need the 6-7mm reflex as outlined in the instructions. It looks as though you have much less. As a result of the reflex the airframe creates so much drag that when you do a loop it usually falls out of the top. When you are in a dive it feels as if it is about to 'unload' when the smallest touch of elevator bleeds off all the energy and you're back to drag bucket mode. Is it just a question of thrust? I'm using the HK 50mm alloy fan (3S version) without a thrust tube. I'm on the verge of giving up and putting the alloy fan in the F-16 which is a much better flyer.
Great build thread, any thoughts are appreciated.

Ingo
Junkers Jumo is offline Find More Posts by Junkers Jumo
Old May 01, 2012, 10:42 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
The only thing I can think of is that my model is going about 90 mph and stock is probably 50 mph so that is about 1.8 times faster which means my elevons have 1.8*1.8= 3.24 times the force generated from the air at my speed than the slower speed. The reflex is needed to overcome the negative pitching moment of the wing which is essentially a constant value so at 50 mph you have to make the same nose up force as I do at 90 mph but since I am going faster I need less reflex to generate the same nose up force since I have a 3.64 lever advantage from my faster speed.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2012, 06:37 PM
Switzerland
Joined May 2010
36 Posts
Thank you for your answer Don.

I wanted to order a wicked combo on your website but I cancelled it when I saw that the shipping method was Express delivery only (40USD to Europe). Would it be possible to send an order with standard international delivery for less monney?
xorlevrai is offline Find More Posts by xorlevrai
Old May 03, 2012, 07:23 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
Regular airmail is $12 to your country. However, that method has no tracking or insurance available which is why I do not allow it on my website. If you want it shipped that way I can but you must agree to assume all responsibility if the item is lost or damaged as I will not refund or reship if that shipping method is chosen.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 05:22 AM
Switzerland
Joined May 2010
36 Posts
Ok, I understand.

As 140USD is really to expensive for a 50mm edf+motor+esc combo (almost twice the price of the plane+stock setup), without adding the customs fees, I will try the regular shipping method.

How do we proceed?
Old May 04, 2012, 07:18 AM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorlevrai View Post
Ok, I understand.

As 140USD is really to expensive for a 50mm edf+motor+esc combo (almost twice the price of the plane+stock setup), without adding the customs fees, I will try the regular shipping method.

How do we proceed?
Unfortunately the Express Mail cost is exactly what I am charged by the USPS, I do not inflate the cost and this past year they increased it as well. It use to be about $32 to Europe for Express mail now $42 for the same package.

The easiest way to proceed is to just send me paypal payment to don@donsrc.com or I can send you a paypal payment request.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 05:51 PM
Switzerland
Joined May 2010
36 Posts
I made the first flight with your setup today Don, and I'm totally pleased!

This little mirage really came to life with your wicked combo ! Here's a video:

Skyangel 50mm Mirage with Don's RC wicked combo (2 min 17 sec)

I really recommend it to every mirage owner, you'll discover a brand new airplane
Old May 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
The Mirage has been given a bad reputation. It just needs to be set up correctly :-)

Glad you are happy! Thanks for posting the video!

By the way did you install a thrust tube in the model?

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
Switzerland
Joined May 2010
36 Posts
Yes, thrust tube installed. Flies really nice
Old May 31, 2012, 03:52 PM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The Mirage has been given a bad reputation. It just needs to be set up correctly :-)

Glad you are happy! Thanks for posting the video!

By the way did you install a thrust tube in the model?

Don
I know how that goes.... The Multiplex Microjet is a prime example of that. Once set up the right way it is a screamer!! But do it wrong and you have a lawn dart...

Great write up and I now see the correct CG that I needed for my build! I am using an AEO fan in this one though... what is the correct exhaust diameter for the 8 blade AEO 55mm fan? Do I go off of the 80% rule? Or would it be different?
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Last edited by gooniac33; Jun 01, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 05:44 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
80% FSA is what I like to use, you just need to get the FSA for the fan you have to get the correct outlet diameter.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:50 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
I hate to dig up an old thread but I have a few questions.

I just ordered the Wicked/wemo 4800 combo which I hope to use in my new Mirage. I plan to use Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 45-90c 4 cell lipos. I have both a Dynam Detrum 40amp esc and a Hobbywing Skywalker 40amp esc. Which esc would you prefer for best performance with that combo? Also, did you use the stock servos on this Mirage or should I upgrade to a better brand? (or metal gear?)

Any help is appreciated.
Captain Ron is online now Find More Posts by Captain Ron
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:25 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,217 Posts
Not sure what to tell you I have never used either. I do know the Detrum are knockoffs of the Hobbywing Flyfun ESC and the Skywalker is a budget version Hobbywing ESC. I don't like to recommend things I never tried, personally I only use the Hobbywing Flyfun ESCs in my models, so my suggestion is to make sure whichever one you use make sure it can handle 4S lipo and run 70,000 rpm with a 6 pole motor. Also you need to set the timing to "low" or about 5 degrees.

As far as servos I used the stock ones that came with it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 AM
Foamies are my homies!
Las Vegas, NV.
Joined May 2009
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Not sure what to tell you I have never used either. I do know the Detrum are knockoffs of the Hobbywing Flyfun ESC and the Skywalker is a budget version Hobbywing ESC. I don't like to recommend things I never tried, personally I only use the Hobbywing Flyfun ESCs in my models, so my suggestion is to make sure whichever one you use make sure it can handle 4S lipo and run 70,000 rpm with a 6 pole motor. Also you need to set the timing to "low" or about 5 degrees.

As far as servos I used the stock ones that came with it.
Ok, thanks for the info. According to the specs I found the skywalker esc will work.

Max Speed: 210,000rpm for 2 Poles BLM, 70,000rpm for 6 poles BLM, 35,000rpm for 12 poles BLM.
Captain Ron is online now Find More Posts by Captain Ron