HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2001, 05:00 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Welcome to the Zone - good call on the T52, you have obviously been reading the advice given and I'm sure you will be off to a good start.

Lots of good people here to help - Even a few from Texas!, lets see if they chime in...

Good Luck
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2001, 01:04 AM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Etrain
Sorry to hear about poor reception at LHS
Fortunately, most of the flyers at the clubs are more friendly, even if they do not fly electric. Most, not all. Remember, they all fly the same regardless of whats pulling them.

The best thing is to get an experienced instructor to help you get the hang of it.
Go out and ask at the club, don't believe the LHS owner. Be polite and ask for basic flight instruction.

Failing this:
A computor simulator will teach you a great deal without trashing real airplanes.

In my club in Sacramento, I have seen people solo the same weekend they flew the real plane for the first time after learning on the simulator. It WILL get you through the common mistakes that get novices.

Also:
In the E-field, like most things, you will find that there are cheap things and good things. The cheap things are not good and the good is not cheap! Except for the Speed 400 motors!

You will notice that there is a LOT of stuff for the Speed 400 size motors. They work well and have a good life span at the recommended currents. Much fun for a few bucks.

If you want performance, ( in larger models ) look at the Astro Flight cobalt motors. Powerful and infinite lifespan.

If you want to fly a typical size trainer, consider a geared 25 system. I fly a 56", 5lb plane with a geared 15 and get 7 -10 min flight times. It will do large, open loops all day long, inverted flight etc..

Check the the sport planes section for advice on conversion of a glo powered trainer.

There was also some mention of 15G powered trainers in a thread called AstroFlite 15G in the model science section.

Good luck, don't let the naysayers get you down.

Dave

DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jul 15, 2001, 01:56 AM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Jul 2001
213 Posts
New Guy from Lubbock Introduction

Hi all,

I am excited to finally get started in RC flight! Now that college is behind me I can actually afford some of the components! After finding this site,I am convinced that E-flight is the way to go for me. I live in West Texas, and there are TONS of fields and parks without trees, buildings, people, or any other objects to intercept my flight path.

Here's my problem: Following the advice of most of the posters here, I have gone to the local hobby shop and chatted up the regulars. I have also visited the flight club twice. Unfotunately, e-flight doesn't seem to be on the top of their list (the hobby shop didn't even want to order me anything). I went ahead and bought a radio from them, and they offered me free lessons if I would buy one of their gas planes. I would really like to get started in electric flight! When I asked if he had any park fliers, I got a frown and a referral to the gas kits on the wall! Haha! I understand this owner's desire to sell his kits, and I do appreciate his offer for lessons, but I simply like the idea of electric flight! He acted like the flight club would not be interested in having any type of e-flight at their airport, and I understand that. So, any e-flight guys in the Lubbock, TX area? I'm thinking of starting with the T52 to dabble in amateur building, and I would love some help with the flying!

Thanks and sorry for the long intro,
E-Train
ETrain is offline Find More Posts by ETrain
Old Jul 15, 2001, 02:11 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,564 Posts
Way to stick your ground, and stick with good planes.

Go out to the local club and seek competent help. Most of the guys at my club think my little electrics are neat, and love watching them fly, they aren't planning to convert, but they enjoy the little planes.

Just like Radix said, good call on the T-52, I've seen them fly and they fly great. They build fast.

JK Aerotech is a local company for me, so they are just a hop, skip, and a jump or two, but they have given me great service, with great flying planes. When you're ready to move up I recommend their E-Plane.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups. hehehe
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 15, 2001, 02:58 AM
Lubbock, TX
Joined Jul 2001
213 Posts
Thanks for all the help and advice. A member of the local club contacted me, and has offered to help me. Apparently there are e-fliers out there, I just have been missing them! Everyone I have met in the club is very nice, I just wasn't sure they would be happy to see my blocky t52 next to their incredible gas acrobatic jobs! I will keep you posted on how much punishment my flying volvo takes over the next few weeks!

Thanks,
E-Train
ETrain is offline Find More Posts by ETrain
Old Jul 15, 2001, 03:35 AM
Austin, Texas USA
Joined Mar 2001
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ETrain:
...my flying volvo...
Well put.

"Boxy, but good"

Shawn
Eflightpower.com

sf_247 is offline Find More Posts by sf_247
Old Jul 15, 2001, 08:01 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Keep in mind, if the hobby store owner gets you to buy even one glow model, you'll be able to go back to him for parts, more models, etc. By not helping you get started in electric flight, you'll probably have little need for his store in the future (although I am always buying hardware - screws, ball-links & clevis, small pieces of balsa, glue, covering, that kind of thing - locally).
Stick to electric. You won't regret it..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W