HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Mar 2004
67 Posts
Discussion
Ace Foam Wings

While cleaning out the shop I found 3 sets of Ace tapered foam wings and one set of constant chord wings. Since I no longer fly R/c, what would be the design parameters to use these wings for a 1/2a control line plane?
Are there any plans currently out there for using these in a C/L plane?
fargophil is offline Find More Posts by fargophil
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,538 Posts
They are a bit big for control line, but no dihedral, balance point 15% of the wing, make sure the leadouts are back around 1/2" behind the centre of gravity. If you use wheels they should be around the leading edge of the wing. Further forward if you don't want to break any props but don't mind bouncing, and further back if you want good ground handling but not much for sure. I like a torsion landing gear so they don't break. The stab/elev. should be 25% of the area of the wing or more, and make the motor mount solid. Someone else can chime in with stuff.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 29, 2012, 08:43 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Or sell them to an RCer and do something else for your CL planes.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Apr 30, 2012, 06:46 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
415 Posts
Or look at the plans here, and see what you like. Then adjust the size to suit your cores.

Regards

G
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old May 06, 2012, 08:44 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
926 Posts
You could build a Shrike Aerocommander R/C or C/L for Cox 1/2 A motors or electric? The palns are still available through RCModeler mag.
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old May 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2004
67 Posts
Hadnt considered the Aerocommander Shrike. That was a plane I was always interested in, even had the original Ace dies for making the kit at one time.
For control line what would the needed engine size be? Glack Widows, TD's Norvels? For C/L your loosing the weight of the radio but picking up the line drag, length of lines?
Old May 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,538 Posts
Tee Dee or Norvel, the Bee's don't have the power and vary all the time making things worse. You can never have too much power in a control line plane. pretty much.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old May 14, 2012, 09:27 AM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fargophil View Post
Hadnt considered the Aerocommander Shrike. That was a plane I was always interested in, even had the original Ace dies for making the kit at one time.
For control line what would the needed engine size be? Glack Widows, TD's Norvels? For C/L your loosing the weight of the radio but picking up the line drag, length of lines?
I have a Ace Aerocommander kit. I couldn't tell you the lenght of the lines, but a guess would be 48-52' I don't see why just two regular .049s would not power it, just don't use landing gear and keep it light. If you do build it, post it.

BTW, What happened to the dies?
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660
Old May 14, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Mar 2004
67 Posts
I had bought the dies from a guy in Higginsvill MO who had bought a lot of the inventory and assets when Ace sold out to Thunder Tiger. After having them for several years I sold them to a gent up in the Seattle area last year.
Part of the other stuff I bought from this guy was a box of Ace foam wings which is why I have them to use now.