SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Question
Twister Coast Guard Red/Green Light on heli keeps flashing

Hi All,
I have recently purchased a used twister RC Coast Guard Heli which is 35 MHz. I already own a brand new twister police cam heli which is 2.4 GHz. From my previous experience with the twister police heli the red and green light on the heli flashes for a while and then with a bit of messing around with the remote and heli, changes to a steady green at which stage I am able to fly it. My problem is that the used Twister Coastguard version does not seem to fly no matter what I do and the red and green light on the heli keeps flashing continuously. I changed the battery on the heli to a new working/charged one and also changed the batteries on the remote which gives me full green battery bars. I know the remote is good because it works with the simulator on the computer. The guy who sold it to me said that the remote and the heli need to be "PROGRAMMED" with each other. What can I do?
Owen Butt is offline Find More Posts by Owen Butt
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:50 PM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,527 Posts
Red/green flashing means that the receiver is not getting any signal from the transmitter. On 35MHz you don't "program" the transmitter, but you do have to make sure the transmitter and receiver have the same channel crystals in them. The crystals plug in the front of the transmitter (says "Xtal" on it) and the top of the 4-in-1 in the heli. They should both have labels on them saying what channel they are, and they must be the same.

Of course, it could be other things, such as the receiver antenna disconnected, or the transmitter simply not working -- just because it works with a simulator doesn't necessarily mean it's transmitting. Maybe there's no crystal in the transmitter and/or receiver.
abenn is online now Find More Posts by abenn
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:00 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Butt View Post
twister RC Coast Guard Heli which is 35 MHz

the remote and the heli need to be "PROGRAMMED" with each other.
You are using the 35MHz transmitter?

Doesn't sound right, but could mean binding helicopter and transmitter. Odd that this would have to be done on 35MHz.

Binding usually is:

Transmitter power off and throttle lowest.
Power helicopter.
Quickly power transmitter.

Your 2.4GHz helicopter at some point was bound to your 2.4GHz transmitter, as an example.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:30 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Sometimes you have to turn the transmitter on first, then plug in the battery, sometimes it's the opposite. But, you always have to ensure the throttle is off. But, like abenn says, flashing red - green usually means no signal. Check your crystals, make sure they are seated firmly in both transmitter and receiver. There is no binding for 35 mhz; if the transmitter sees a compatible receiver channel it will connect.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 24, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Here are some pics

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies. I'm attaching pics of the controller. The XTAL thing is there as pointed out by abenn but I'm not certain if a crystal has been removed from it. Batteries are fully charged. Furthermore, are the servo reverser settings correct or do I need to modify them as well.

One more thing. Do you think that it would be possible to convert this heli to a 2.4 just like my Twister Helicam and if it is possible what parts do I need to do that. The reason I'm saying this is becuase I have seen a version of Twister Coast Guard in 2.4 as well. If I'm correct 35MHz is the older standard and all the newer one's are 2.4 which is far better and superior (I heard).

Equally can I use the parts from this in an RC plane. Would it be a matter of just transferring the bits in the fuselage of the RC plane or is there more involved in it.
Last edited by Owen Butt; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:55 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
The XTAL thing is there as pointed out by abenn but I'm not certain if a crystal has been removed from it. Batteries are fully charged.
If the crystal was there, you would know it - sticks up so can be removed using fingers. The idea is to quickly change channels if someone else is on the same frequency.
Buy a set of 35MHz crystals for transmitter and receiver
http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php...20&area=SPARES

You should be able to buy a 2.4GHz receiver board and should be an easy conversion to 2.4GHz to use your existing 2.4GHz transmitter, Channel frequency at 2.4GHz is automatically selected from at least 20 different frequencies. May have to solder some wires.

Servo reversing should be the same as your other Twister. Check by power up and see what happens.

See if your existing 2.4GHz receiver board is on this list, then buy another to replace 35MHz model.
http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php...Spares+Options

May have to find a site in your country that sells the parts.

Look in your 35MHz helicopter for a crystal so you know what it looks like. You should already have the transmitter crystal - check the box that the 35MHz helicopter came in. The crystal looks like a small cube with two prongs (leads) sticking out and it would have a channel number or frequency on the nameplate.

Google search - note other threads in rcgroups - ask there, maybe someone nearby has crystals that they don't use anymore.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ed=0CCEQ1QIoAw

"Equally can I use the parts from this in an RC plane"
Very few parts would work in a fixed wing airplane. The helicopter receiver has a gyro that keeps the coaxial helicopter from spinning, so motor control and rudder control will be messed up. Servos could be used. Maybe the two (three?) motors.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Apr 24, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:13 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Now why in hell would somebody sell you a heli without the crystals?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,527 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the replies. I'm attaching pics of the controller. The XTAL thing is there as pointed out by abenn but I'm not certain if a crystal has been removed from it. Batteries are fully charged. Furthermore, are the servo reverser settings correct or do I need to modify them as well.....
The crystal should plug into those two brass sockets, so you need to get one that'll match the one in your heli.

My servo reverse switches are all in the "normal" position. That's not a guarantee that yours should be that way, but that's probably correct.

Quote:
... One more thing. Do you think that it would be possible to convert this heli to a 2.4 just like my Twister Helicam and if it is possible what parts do I need to do that. The reason I'm saying this is becuase I have seen a version of Twister Coast Guard in 2.4 as well. If I'm correct 35MHz is the older standard and all the newer one's are 2.4 which is far better and superior (I heard).

Equally can I use the parts from this in an RC plane. Would it be a matter of just transferring the bits in the fuselage of the RC plane or is there more involved in it.
2.4GHz is "better" in some respects -- no long antenna, other transmitters can't interfere with your model -- but it would be uneconomical, in my opinion, to upgrade your 35MHz set. You'd have to buy a 2.4GHz transmitter and 4-in-1, and they will probably cost as much as a new heli.

You might be able to transfer the bits to a small foamy model -- the 4-in-1 drives two motors and two servos -- but you might have a problem figuring out how to make them respond in the correct sense for a fixed-wing aircraft. You'd still have to sort out your crystal problem first.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Thanks a lot guys for all the info. I'm in Dublin, Ireland so might pop down to one of the hobby shops. Balr14, I bought it out of my ignorance but if goes beyond economic repair then it might make a nice display in my collection of heli's . Will keep you guys updated.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:16 AM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
If you have no joy drop me a PM and ill send you a set of suitable Xtals for the cost of postage

I have a set from a twister bell that was on 35mhz that we unpgraded to 2.4
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jul 2004
11,527 Posts
When you go to your model shop, take the heli and trannie and batteries so that they can check out if the set is working before you leave the shop. They should have suitable crystal(s), for in my experience they're quite a common type/spec.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:04 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for all the info. I'm in Dublin, Ireland so might pop down to one of the hobby shops. Balr14, I bought it out of my ignorance but if goes beyond economic repair then it might make a nice display in my collection of heli's . Will keep you guys updated.
Hey, it's not your fault, that's on the seller. Crystals are cheap, I have about 20 - 30 of them. I'd throw them out, but these are for 72 mhz, which is getting very hard to find. I keep them, just in case somebody might need them.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Update: The plot thickens. Went down to the hobby shop. Guy has place full of crystals but not the one's that I need and is waiting for stock by next month. He told me something about the frequency not matching. He even tried one pair as well. Would these be as rare as hen's teeth or is there a standard that I can follow?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
Ask the at the LHS if he has a 35 mhz transmitter you could try.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Nope he didn't unfortunately