HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Build Log
Sporterizing dz1sfb's Hawker Hurricane, SEMFF WWII Combat Plane.

I'm sure you have seen them, at least 30 plans for making foamy Combat Models designed by Ken, known as dz1sfb on RC Groups. If not, please check out the excellent thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012551

Some of you may have seen my thread titled Sporterizing dz1sfb's MiG 3, SEMFF WWII Combat Plane. If not check it out as this was the first of the Series that I modified. This will be the second, and probably not as intensive, sometimes similar, but we will see where this ends up when I'm finished.

My mission, I will sporterize the Hurricane, with a few minor and maybe major changes to suit my mission for this aircraft. I'll probably add some a few custom touches to suit my personal taste.

Choice for the Hawker Hurricane this time? Our British Friends had a very robust, good flying, stable platform when WWII started in the Hurricane. Without it, the Battle of Britian would have been lost. We always hear about the Spitfire, but the Hurricane was available in greater numbers and really was the workhorse of the RAF. I have always wanted to build one, so here I go.

I have not chosen the final color scheme yet, BTW.The British were very uniform and methodical at painting aircraft, so besides minor changes in squadron markings and insignia, it's probably green and brown camo, or a dessert scheme.:rolleyes

I am working on some other builds so I'm fitting this in as a break point when I'm feeling a bit stressed.

If you follow along I will thank you in advance.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
The SEMFF Combat thread has not been as active recently, but heck, it's flying season and combat time! Here is a link to the Hawker Hurricane Plan Page so you can take a look at Ken's handy work.

Also attached are some photos of the Hurricane to referance what we are working towards. I will be making mine a 4 channel design instead of 3, and I also used Adobe Reader X to poster/tile print off the full plan to a resize of 110%. This will allow for an extra servo or two, and a bit larger motor. I also want to be able to switch between 2 cell and 3 cell batteries to enhance the fun factor.
Last edited by Freddie B; Apr 24, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:35 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Reserved, but for now we have a couple color schemes to think about. It is really hard to decide at this point.
Last edited by Freddie B; Apr 24, 2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Why not, reserved.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:24 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,008 Posts
Taking a seat in the front of the class. Got my notebook ready!
SNice is online now Find More Posts by SNice
Old Apr 24, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
32 Posts
Subscribed!
fzromen is offline Find More Posts by fzromen
Old Apr 24, 2012, 03:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Taking a seat in the front of the class. Got my notebook ready!
Hee hee hee, you are cracking me up! This should be one of those classes that you can sleep through and still get an 'A'. I don't know if anything new will be discovered, but I am going to try and have fun while I make this bird airworthey. I am going to keep it as simple as possible???

Welcome fzromen, I hope to give you something worth subscribing to.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Apr 24, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:25 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I'm starting with the wing this time around. Remember the plan was printed at 110% of Ken's design.

After gluing the plans together I spray glued the plans to posterboard. If you look at photos, I like to make notations on the plan/templates as I go. First note top and bottom of wing template I have marked 1 1/2" from flairing to a new center line. I also made note at this size that I need a 3" wide fuselage. This is why I extended the wing center line slightly.

Looking at my piece of fff PBIII, I marked a upside-down 'T' drawn in red to align my template both sides of center line. So far so good.

Fred
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:43 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Spar.

Ken's design uses two 1/8" dowels glued on top of each other as a spar, and a KFm2 airfoil.

I want to make a wing similar to the one I introduced on the MiG 3 I built. This is a two layer of foam, spar supported, airfoil section that has some unique properties. Strong, true airfoil, thin section for good speed, friendlier drag and stall traits over KFm, yet quick to build.

The differance this time is a thicker 1/4" diameter spar (was 3/16"), and two types of foam will be used. Bottom panel will be Dow fff PBIII Underlaymrnt, and the top panel will be MPF (Model Plane Foam) which I am hoping you all have heard about by now. If not check it out, another great product brought to you from Ken, Don, and Mike from SEMFF land.

The Dow is blue, which allows easy colorization of the belly for camoflage (saving weight of excess paint), and the MPF is white, the perfect non color for painting any scheme we want.

Anyway I am showing how I soak my dowel just in the area needed to form it for dihedral, and my 2"x4" and nails jig for holding the dowel while it dries.

Fred
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
This is mainly to show further notations on my template. The ailerons will be a bit smaller, the true wingspan is noted, and I have made some referance marks at a couple stations, showing 30% & 40% of cord. My stations were simple found using a rule where the cord was 4 1/4" wide, and 6 1/2" wide. I just needed a simple number measurement near both ends to calculate those cord percentages. All this is for my own visual referance.

You will not Ken designed the spar location pretty equal in-between those 30% and 40% referance locations.

Fred
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:08 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Let us mark some foam.

So very quick and simple, a fine line Sharpie is used to mark the left wing panel onto the Dow blue foam. I simply align the template to that upside down 'T' I drew earlier. But do note the center line of the spar is marked onto the foam (Red Sharpie) also while we are at it.

Follow suit to the right wing panel by flipping the template, mark as before including extending spar center line.

Now do the exact same marking to the white MPF top wing skin as shown in the photos. Once the template is made, layout took minutes.

Fred
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:25 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,911 Posts
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:30 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,212 Posts
Hi Freddie, looking forward to seeing your handy work.

If you are bored with the typical RAF paint scheme then you could paint it like the prototype.

Would make a interesting model.

In the early part of the war they had some interesting underside colouring.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
Gone Fly'n
USA, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2007
282 Posts
Alright Freddie...another one...love to follow and watch your builds...subscribed...
planecrazy1969 is online now Find More Posts by planecrazy1969
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:01 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,014 Posts
I am honored.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project