HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:45 AM
nph
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
Discussion
Good starter plane for my son

I am looking for advice as to what used DLG I should look for to fly with my son.
Personally I have aBlaster 2 but I will post a wanted ad in the classfied section for a used, cheap and hopefully sturdy DLG that I can use to teach my son the fine art of DLG. He is only 7 so it needs to be able to take some abuse/easy repair although I do have the master slave radio set up to minimize the damage.

What plane would you recommend I look for that is:
- cheap
- sturdy/easy to repair
- easy to fly for a beginner (7 year old)

He has been very good with the small heli for indoor and really got the knack for that one but this is a different ball game even though we have thrown some small kite like plans from the hobby store quite successfully.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share!
nph is offline Find More Posts by nph
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:09 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,176 Posts
Don't start with a DLG...
Get him a Slow Stick or something that can fly flow and not worry about thermals, launching, breaking the plane, etc... Learn the basics of flight and get used to the orientation of the plane.

This is what I did with my son. He's been flying the Slow Stick-- taking off, flight basics and landing...

Hope it helps.

Jun
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Apr 24, 2012, 11:16 AM
Silent Majority
Monrovia,MD,USA
Joined Mar 2000
289 Posts
If you have a slope nearby I think it is hard to beat a foamy 48" wing... durable and nimble.
Bert is offline Find More Posts by Bert
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:10 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,075 Posts
Alula.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:33 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,734 Posts
ALULA would suit him great. they look pretty unique and take a pretty good beating

Having said that. If you happen by chance to be flying 72 with hitec or futaba gear I would like to offer up the young lad a hitec 4 ch radio with buddy cord for the cost of the shipping only.

We certainly need more kids in the hobby. kudo`s
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Apr 24, 2012, 04:59 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,150 Posts
As much as I love my Alula I think it's too sensitive for a first-time flier. I'd suggest something like a Swyft, although I can't speak with any experience on the durability of that model. But a high-dihedral R/E model that will fly and recover "hands off" gives a lot of confidence. And the SAL / DLG launch is just so damn cool. That's been my experience anyway. I've been flying about 10 months.
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Last edited by JimZinVT; Apr 24, 2012 at 05:01 PM. Reason: add link
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:20 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
723 Posts
I'll second the swyft. I learned on one and had plenty of fun. Repairs are easy and he will be able to launch it himself. The build is more intensive than a standard dlg but also a good learning task.

Austin
austinhlg is offline Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:19 PM
nph
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Oct 2010
184 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. The reason I am looking for a DLG is that he is very good at throwing his HQ Kites Airglider. He also handles his heli pretty good. I am more concerned to give him a plane with a motor outdoors like a powered glider.
Plus if it is a hand launched or DLG with the radio master/slave set up I get more time to fix any situation that might occur.

The swift looks like a good hand launch kit.
Any other more traditional DLG you might suggest?
nph is offline Find More Posts by nph
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:33 PM
Come out swinging
San Diego
Joined Mar 2005
2,657 Posts
He should learn to fly a plane first. Slope for gliders and electric slow-fly for flat land.

You should ask Paul Anderson, i think he has been flying since he was 6. Started with slope I think.

Sean
sporter is offline Find More Posts by sporter
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Feb 2007
723 Posts
I do not agree that slope is the only way to go for learning. It is harder but will force you to fly correctly, no chance of punching the throttle and grabbing some elevator to save yourself. I am self taught on gliders first (the swyft). If you want an F3k/dlg ship just look for a bagged wing as they will be the easiest to repair. Predator, taboo, topsky. My only concern with a 1.5m is at 7 I don't know if he would have to height to launch one without repeated tip strikes which is the only way to really destroy a bagged ship short of high speed impact.
austinhlg is offline Find More Posts by austinhlg
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:19 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,734 Posts
There is a mini topsky in the classifieds . Not as rugged as the other sugestions but if you are doing the buddy box thing it might survive . 130 bucks is a deal

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1639934
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:56 AM
Switzerland, BL, Anwil
Joined Nov 2007
16 Posts
ALULA is very good for beginners in DLGing. After that is "der Falke" from Claus Thiele (Germany) a very good plane to built and flying for young pilots

Peter
speedstick is offline Find More Posts by speedstick
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:28 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,116 Posts
I will say that being only 7, he might have a hard time with any DLG getting sufficient altitude.

Might be best to use a highstart on a DLG , if he must have a DLG, or get a 2M regular glider that is more of a floater. Let him learn the fine art of finding lift and just ebing able to fly before he gets into DLGs.

My fear is that he will have very short flight durations and it will discourage him.

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
Mickey from Orlando. Really.
Joined Nov 2004
3,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedstick View Post
After that is "der Falke" from Claus Thiele (Germany) a very good plane to built and flying for young pilotsPeter
I want one. Are they available in the US, or can they be shipped here?

Thanks

mickey
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
Switzerland, BL, Anwil
Joined Nov 2007
16 Posts
hi mickey

here his homepage: http://www.modellbau-thiele.de

under "Kontakt" you will find the email account.

Peter
speedstick is offline Find More Posts by speedstick