1,256 Posts
Won't be any tests flights today...wind is howling
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2012, 11:29 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,256 Posts
Got a flight in today just before dark as the wind died down right at sunset. CG at 70mm and I backed off on my throws. Launch was flawless and straight away with no dip. Still getting the bugs worked out of this plane so it is difficult to get some good motor numbers as I am still in the trimming out phase.
But here is what I did get from the data logging. At launch which is static except for the wind...got 121amps. Then in flight I hammered the throttle for about four seconds into the wind three times and the amps were between 106 and 108.
The thing that bothered me was the motor temp upon landing was 150F and I wasn't really pushing this motor that hard.
Part of the problem I believe is the fact that in order to get it balanced I had to put the battery behind the motor and I think it is blocking some air...and one of you guys already mentioned that these Typhoon motors like to run hot.
Will get some 6S tests next week weather permitting.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:40 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
But here is what I did get from the data logging. At launch which is static except for the wind...got 121amps. Then in flight I hammered the throttle for about four seconds into the wind three times and the amps were between 106 and 108.
Was this with 5s, which prop ?
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old May 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,084 Posts
You forgot to mention how the plane flew!
Does it seem fast for the power you were using?
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old May 13, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,256 Posts
Sorry Guys, should have given more info...
sebbe - Yes it was with 5S...which is what worries me about the temp of the motor and
it was with the 7x13 folders. Don't know if the long motor wires are causing it or what... timing was set low per the motor maker and switching is at 12. Might have to punch another hole behind the wing to let more air out. Had hoped to get this motor to 7S.

Steve - Not sure how to answer your question and here is why...my experience with speed planes is with modified (glass carbon ect) Strykers 150+ and with 400 class pylon planes pushed to about 150. This plane is larger and handles much differently (still isn't flying solid...working on CG and incidences). Until I get the bugs worked out and get some "Good" doppler runs I really can't say for sure how fast I think it is going because I just don't have any reference yet.
It drives me crazy when guys say they think their plane is doing 200, video it, then when you listen to and see the video you wonder what he had in his coffee that morning.
Tomorrow if the weather is good and this stinking wind dies down (30mph for nearly three days) will try and get some actual speed runs.
Old May 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,847 Posts
Arctic, be aware that larger planes look slower My Ninja on it's miaden flight went ~200 and for me, did not seem any faster than a Speed 400 plyon going 140-150!
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old May 14, 2012, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,256 Posts
Incidence Checks

Well since the wind is blowing like a demondecided to check some incidences this morning.
Not a happy camper...the wing is .8 degrees below the tail and the motor is 3 degrees below the wing.
Can jack the front of the wing up with washers to about .4 below the tail and will start making a shim for the motor this morning.
What a pain in the neck

Also thinking about some new motor combinations and got some Sky Lipos
(6S 3000's) from a friend yesterday.

Wind might die down this evening just before dark
Old May 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,084 Posts
Ok. Thanks for being honest. I have seen my share of high speed claims that were bogus too. It's fun to point a radar gun at them and show them how wrong they are sometimes
I was just trying to get a feel for how well they designed the plane. I remember the smaller plane had an incidence problem too, which is a little unusual these days and can be a pain if the tail is glued on!

I used to race giant scale and my plane did 180mph. After watching a race with Lancairs doing 230, I had my race and I thought there was something wrong with my plane. It looked so slow! A friend assured me that it was running fine and my internal speedo just got all messed up watching crazy fast smaller airplanes rip around the course.

....so don't watch a brushless powered speed 400 plane fly before you fly yours!
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old May 14, 2012, 11:02 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,256 Posts
Speed Runs

Went to the field tonight after spending the day getting the down thrust out and dialing the incidences in better.
Switched to a 6S Sky Lipo 30C constant 60 burst 3000mah battery. the launch was uneventful The changes in thrust really showed up when I hammered the throttle...no diving towards the ground as it did on the last flight just straight ahead and fast. I then made (7) four to 6 second passes at full throttle. In between the passes I ran at 1/2 throttle.
Handling is finally starting to settle down but I am still not happy with the amount of left trim that is needed. Way to much for a straight wing.
Never the less after the passes the landing went well... came in to fast on the first attempt ...went around and landed right where I wanted (no flaps, no spoilers).
Went to the plane and picked it up and immediately noticed that caramel smell I ran to get my temp guage and found that the motor temp was 285F Got it cooled down but I can tell you this motor is GARBAGE for this application and will never make it to 7 or 8S This motor is supposed to produce 4100 watts and take 120amps with 12S. During my runs the AMPS never went over 140 at WOT.
I am running a Turbo spinner with holes on each side of the motor for air and today opened up three more holes in the Fuz for air.
I'll never get to 200mph with this motor and suggest that no one else try it either. I guess EDF is EDF.
TIME FOR A NEW MOTOR.
Checked the doppler and found that the plane was going 175 WITH a 14mph wind. I'm happy about breaking my own personal speed record but bummed because this motor will take me no further!
Last edited by arcticflyer; May 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 03:39 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,563 Posts
arcticflyer , thats bad,,,, buy same motor as me, PM me, and I will tell you where the Mega 22/45/2 is very cheep..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old May 15, 2012, 08:23 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,055 Posts
Mega 22/45 motor would be a SWEET solution.

The 22/45/2E is 950kv. That works out to around 23K RPM on the prop when running 8S. That may be good for 230mph airspeed.

If you're looking for the ability to run between 6S and 8S, and not be locked into 8S as the bare minimum, a bit higher KV may work out better than the 2 turn.

22/45/1.5SE comes out around 1225kv. This would get you around the same RPM on 6S. But if the motor's cool on 6S and you have a mind to run higher voltage, you have the freedom to move into 7S or 8S.

... and then there's always 22/50 and 22/60 motors
murdnunoc is online now Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old May 15, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post

Went to the plane and picked it up and immediately noticed that caramel smell I ran to get my temp guage and found that the motor temp was 285F Got it cooled down but I can tell you this motor is GARBAGE for this application and will never make it to 7 or 8S This motor is supposed to produce 4100 watts and take 120amps with 12S. During my runs the AMPS never went over 140 at WOT.
(

Try using ecalc(http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_e.htm?neumotors) next time! If you plug in the motor constants you will find that that motor will get very hot when run like you were doing. As for cooling your plane would be considered medium to poor in comparison to a EDF with the motor in contact with a 200mph tunnel of air. This is a case of not picking the right motor rather than a "garbage motor"

For your application you need find a motor with lower resistance. Something in the 0.01 to 0.012 ohm range would give you some chance of success.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old May 15, 2012, 09:24 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
For your application you need find a motor with lower resistance. Something in the 0.01 to 0.012 ohm range would give you some chance of success.

Steve Neu
I'm guessing these resistances would be for that similar KV range of 1300-1400kv.

The HET that Arcticflyer was running has .018 ohm resistance. That IS kind of anemic compared with the .013 ohm of a 1415 1.5Y. Or the .008 ohm of a 22/45/1.5SE.

Cutting resistance in half will take us a long way!

The HET motor may not be garbage as a flat-out statement, but it has shown to be out of its element when trying to run at the same power levels as the higher quality motors. It would do fine in an application where there was massive cooling, or where expected power levels were low. Unfortunately for Arcticflyer, he has set a high bar with cooling challenges AND a demand for high power.
Those demands can be met, but it takes the right motor to do it.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:42 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
I'm guessing these resistances would be for that similar KV range of 1300-1400kv.

The HET that Arcticflyer was running has .018 ohm resistance. That IS kind of anemic compared with the .013 ohm of a 1415 1.5Y. Or the .008 ohm of a 22/45/1.5SE.

Cutting resistance in half will take us a long way!
FYI Mega reports their resistance numbers differently than do most other manufactures. They report the resistance for EACH coil rather than for the resistance from phase lead to phase lead(2 coils). Since they are "Y" wind motors you need to double the resistance to have a apples to apples comparison.

Steve
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old May 15, 2012, 09:49 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,055 Posts
Whoa, didn't know that Neu reports two phase. Good to know