Im not alone,, good lord THANKS !!!
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:46 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Sebbe, you certainly are not alone.

I grew up on nitro from about 78 till I started flying electric in the mid 90's. Back then electric planes had little power and the local club, which I had been a member since I started flying, was not very inviting to me either. As a matter of fact, there was only one guy who thought the stuff I brought out was neat. I was even told not to fly my Kalt Wisper (early electric heli) because it was too loud! Are you kidding me?

My dad and I both quit the club and found some private property to play with our electric flying machines. Once Lipos hit the scene, we started having airplanes and helis that out perform any nitro powered one When this happened, the nitro guys just pretended not to see them, or maybe they though it was so far beyond what they knew that it didn't register.

Now I think a lot of my local club flies electric airplanes. There's so much exposure to electric flight in the mags and web sites these days, it's tough to avoid. I'd probably be welcome now.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:23 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
A good well tuned 90 sized heli motor will only put out 2.6kw. Most 4035 setups in a heli pull between 4-6kw. So minus efficiency loss, around twice as powerful as a good 90 nitro, but usually less then half the runtime and electric helis are heavier then nitro. So there's a tradeoff there.

Most people wont deny that electric setups have considerably more power on tap then nitro ones though
Here in Cent Florida i am around some of the best Heli guys...and EVERY TIME a 700 elec or elec Goblin goes up,IT JUST BLOWS MY MIND HOW MUCH DAMN POWER A GOOD ELEC HELI WILL MAKE.....Scares the CRAP out of me sometimes if i do not know the pilot
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Steve, Im just stunned that even if its year 2013, and electric flight has exploded in popularity, that at least here where I live its only starting to rise,, Im lightyears in front of most around,,, It is soooo nice to chit chat with soneone in same level or even beyond in person, but that doesent happen often, to shame.... thats when RcGroups is a saver

It would just be so much more fun to go to a field and knowing you are in the middle of knowledge there when it comes to electric... not to see 75% flying those brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr machines from late 90´s,,, makes me loose interest in flying...

Guess I have to be on my own with a few friends.....

Oh well, maybee in 10 years the electric will be big here..??

The only time when I feel there is mixed stuff here is on meetings, but that happens like twice per year..

the other strange thing is: almost all the guys on the club have connected electric flight with indoor or slowflyer, sometimes beginner flight/child flight... and for REAl masculine flight , it is brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... hehe,,, oh man, if they only knew the real potential of electric flight,,, Im sure some do, but for real. some DONT

There is even a club that flyes in a nearby old militar landingstrip, but they fly turbines and brrrrrrrrrr planes, there is like 5% interest in electric in that club...

well, lonely wulf is on his own ........ sometimes its hard to keep the interest up..
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:57 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
to be real honest, the few times when I visit the clubs, hoping that it will feel different, but it never does... I get more out of talking to the people, like friends, then exchanging experiance in electric flight........ sometimes I stand there, watching one after one starting their brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr planes, sometimes they wont start, they sometimes trying to start the engines for like 100 times,,, whats wrong ???? then it prtt, prrrt prutt,, starts !! just by hearing that sound in air, 3-4 hours,,,and all the planes looks the same, are same size or big size, and flyes same speed..... well, when Im back in my car driving home, often my interest is lower then I arrived,,, thats why I try to keep up by my self,, dont want to loose the interest....

just wish I was a brrrrrrrrrrrrr guy somtimes

to clarify. I have nothing against brrrrrrrrrr planes, just sad the elecrtic interest isnt more here around...

GUYS,, sorry for long posts,,, no more brrr talk, wrong thread !!
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:05 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,391 Posts
As neighbour countries I can tell you that the things are exactly the same on my side of Strömstad.... Most RC pilots here fly Cubs and second in popularity are Yaks and Extras. By all means - very nice planes and great fun for those interested, but what I have noticed is that everyone (with very few exceptions) that fly electric, have their whole setup supplied by HubbyKing... Ok it makes the electric world very available, but since it sets the standard the majority relates to and compares with, it's not going to catch that much interest IMHO.

We have a HP section in our national RC forum, and we have great discussions and exchange knowledge and experiences. The pity is that during 2012 there were only 7 pilots contributing to the whole thread!!!!!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:15 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,401 Posts
Same here Arctery, nitro still way more popular, and the people who fly anything but HK electric foam crap are pretty rare. A lot of parkzone foamies too though.

My favourite excuse is the typical ASP .46 powered chinese ARF spitfire, with the owner bleating on about how an electric wouldnt sound so realistic. I dont know of many 27L supercharged V12 RR Merlins that sounds like cheap weedwackers and spit smoke and slime everywhere. Better to be quiet than make noises like that
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:21 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,086 Posts
Yup, those who are in the dark ages will never come out, that's fine with me

We all know that electric is the fastest these days anyhow. And will continute to get faster as the airframes and power systems evolve. Can't say that about slime....
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:02 PM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
976 Posts
I dont mind the nitro guys, it's real fun to listen to their reactions. The first time I flew the Avionik it went from "that's a nice pink glider you have" to "that's to loud, we don't like your kind here"
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:14 PM
Brazil, RJ, Macaé
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Hi guys! I've searched a lot but didn't find, so I have to ask... What is the prop mount to put in the back of a Scorpion HK-45 and how do I fix it?

http://steves-unlimited.chapso.de/props-s292084.html

Like in the second picture. Home made? Glue? Thank you.
wololo10 is offline Find More Posts by wololo10
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:30 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
You mount a spinner/adapter to the shaft. You can cut the shaft so the spinner is right up against the motor.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:45 PM
Brazil, RJ, Macaé
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
I mean like this:

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...0001%20004.jpg

Prop is installed in the back of the motor and spins with it.
wololo10 is offline Find More Posts by wololo10
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:14 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,365 Posts
The motor is disassembled and the shaft is pushed through the "bell" so the shaft protudes from the bell end of the motor rather than the stationary end of the motor like standard.

I found a 45mm RFM spinner fits the HK45 6mm shaft nicely: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=13
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:11 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Län, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wololo10 View Post
I mean like this:

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...0001%20004.jpg

Prop is installed in the back of the motor and spins with it.
hm, 28mpix photo which is not resizable haha.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke