SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:10 PM
Singapore
Joined Aug 2006
312 Posts
Can anyone share where is the best place to get this gorgeous cables you use for the windings?

Would like to give this a try
Gungho is offline Find More Posts by Gungho
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:32 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
I happen to have an electric motor repair shop in the area that has most sizes of what is used for single strand winding, they rewind large 3 phase and machinery steppers etc. Their wire is rated at 300 c industrial/mil spec. Hopefully you could find such a shop and ask them to sell you some. It pays to research all you can before selecting the size you need and get extra for the learning process.
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:39 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,499 Posts
http://www.brocott.co.uk/enamelled-magnet-wire

http://www.surplussales.com/wire-cable/Wire6.html

etc...
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:08 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,086 Posts
Apex I'd bank on 3.1-3.4 v per cell under realistically peak load if you are flying speed runs that last 3-5 seconds
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:30 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
I hope to get it to go then drop a cell or two for sport flying, I was thinking of the 20% performance drop in overall performance numbers and used 3.5v in calculating. Leaning toward a 17 pitch and still keep it within and below 240 amps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:04 PM
444 kph
Joined Nov 2008
514 Posts
the chimera 2013 is ready for take off- new season can come.....

I hope for good results - beyond 250mph for sure.
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; Apr 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 04:59 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion-fan View Post
the taifun -eagle 2013 - new season can come.....

fuselage is made by marcus; wing by joachim; T-ail by niklas and motor by me basing on special made by scorpion parts.
the 12" x 27" 3 blade airscrewI have calculated myself, molds were milled by stefan; blades made by marcus,special yoke came from erwin.

battery: 10S 4500mAh;
ESC: YGE 160HV (special modificated)

I hope for good results - beyond 250mph for sure.
Just too bad you sort of need to go down on 12 diffrent people to get hold of one
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Old Jan 02, 2013, 05:13 PM
444 kph
Joined Nov 2008
514 Posts
the only possible way for me, to own a really single part at the end.
buy something ready made somewhere is much less pleasure.

scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:15 AM
The Prop is Where its At!
New Zealand, Bay Of Plenty, Omokoroa
Joined Dec 2012
871 Posts
Nice build bro! Please keep us updated on your progess with your plane and motor,cheers...
blitzu is offline Find More Posts by blitzu
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Question, in comparing E-power to nitro. Could I compare my 4035 to a .90 size nitro?
I'm thinking a 700 t-rex uses a .90 or a 4035? Just trying to grasp power output and what to expect from a selfwind motor. Are motors to engines like apples to oranges?
Tom
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:08 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,233 Posts
Tough to compare. Because of the big props we can turn with electric motors, they tend to outperform IC motors that should have similar power. We also run our motors over the limit for short periods, which is like using nitrous. As long as the battery runs out before temps get too high, we get away with it.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:09 PM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
976 Posts
A good well tuned 90 sized heli motor will only put out 2.6kw. Most 4035 setups in a heli pull between 4-6kw. So minus efficiency loss, around twice as powerful as a good 90 nitro, but usually less then half the runtime and electric helis are heavier then nitro. So there's a tradeoff there.

Most people wont deny that electric setups have considerably more power on tap then nitro ones though
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SlowBarless; Feb 15, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:01 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
Most people wont deny that electric setups have considerably more power on tap then nitro ones though
hehe,,, what you say is very true, but a quick visit to a near club tells Another story,, like: nitro is the real Power, and Electric is for kids and Indoor.

and yes often this is older guys without internet Connection or the ability to understand the rc flight evolution.. still bothers me everytime i visit that field and have to listen to that crap talk...

this is one o the reasons I am not a member... and cant stand that brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr noise from nitro
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:51 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,508 Posts
Sebbe, I'm grinning big time! I'm one of them old farts too! Except I got on the bandwagon in 03 and know too well the ridicule from the nitro people as I am from them! It wasn't until I showed them how to do 170 in a foamy EDF they paid attention! lol I value the conversations here that have propelled me past 200. I still enjoy the challenge of designing, building and learning, especially flying. Now for 250! he he he (will be 59 this year)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:07 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,817 Posts
The hobby is for everyone, Im not that young either ,,, but it just seems at least here in Sweden that we are 2-3 years after in evolution in our fields... I know in germany electric is more "well known and accepted"..

No matter if you fly nitro or electric, its the pleasure of it that counts, BUT there seems to be more haters against electric from the nitro guys, and more no knowledge aginst then vice versa.... the electric guys mostly dont bully the nitro guys... that my experiance here in the clubs nearby....

I like to also say: its just a few guys trashing electric flight open, maybee more want to but keeps quite, things like: when are you going to buy a REAL plane with a REAL engine,, YEAH RIGHT ??? hehe,, I want one of those SLOW and BRRRRRRRRRRR noise making thing you have to clean every flight .. sure ,,, like I said,, its not bothering me much, but when I get into a club I want to feel there is more mixed people, more fun speaking to people that are WITH evolution, then those brainwashed nitroguys not knowing much I think this is also due to the avarage age in clubs here is around 50-60 ? so I guess they was introduced to nitro as there was no electric when they started,, still strange a few of them are so hostile against electric.... also there is a guy (well respectrd among few) saying electric flight is weak and G@Y style... ehummm.... This make me even more dont want to be around and join that club.... I mean what is that ?? that sort of talk dont belong among us..

One time a guy visited this club at a meeting, flying a top hotliner around 4-5kw,,,, when he throwed it up in the air, and give it a kick straight up, I was the guy jelling: HAHA LOOK AT THE POWER OF ELECTRIC, NITRO IS OLD TIME FLYING .... there was mostly growling quite mumble against the oldtime nitro guys, hehehehe, I was feeling good....

You when people are quite, they are often impressed or stunned..

Enough talking about this subject,, lets move on topic yeah..
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Feb 16, 2013 at 08:14 AM.