SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:10 PM
Germany
Joined Jul 2010
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
Oh,and this was a couple days later....man i hope this is putting a smile on your face,cause it is killing me to watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h47jj...7&feature=plcp
I am impressed by your language control, you are a man with good manners!
Kwahn is offline Find More Posts by Kwahn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:57 AM
444 kph
Joined Nov 2008
514 Posts
the next step in this done:

fabian made me some 5 blade yokes sized for my big 5035 high power outrunner motors.
(for comparison I added one of the smaller yokes for 40xx and 42xx sized motors)

scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; Apr 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:13 PM
Inglish Nub
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
Wow! Ralph these are amazing :O. Do you also have a Spinner which fits? You have to post installed pics for sure!
Tzeentech is offline Find More Posts by Tzeentech
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:25 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion-fan View Post
the next step in this done:

fabian made me some 5 blade yokes sized for my big 5035 high power outrunner motors.
(for comparison I added one of the smaller yokes for 40xx and 42xx sized motors)

so I can try 5 blade folder with 12" x 24" or 13 "x 27" on my harpyie soon.
this will need some kW more than the small 5 x 8,52" x 23" for sure.
That picture lights up my eyes!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:44 AM
444 kph
Joined Nov 2008
514 Posts
the 11"x20" installed with spinnercap.
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; Apr 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:21 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,501 Posts
Any Idea what happened to and or when the power croco site may reactivate?
After reading on the site has given me a new direction in the hobby and find the information fascinating.
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ApexAero; Nov 10, 2012 at 03:24 AM. Reason: thank you scorpion fans!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:13 PM
Inglish Nub
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
Wow Ralph that looks very impressive. Any chance to get some new inflight footage from you? I only found one video on youtube (Haaren 2010) where u were flying with your Chimera/Eisvogel (Fuz was green and wings looked like Eisvogel but trimmed). The acceleration was amazingly high and the sound very low. I wonder how the 5 blade setup performs and offcourse the Harpyie.....

The powercroco-site was shut down by Ralph in the beginning of 2012. It's a pitty because I wanted to get some inputs from it. It's a shame that i didn't discover it earlier.
http://www.powercroco.de/index.html Here you can also get some info. It helps but I think the forumsite contained much more info . It's cool that he's posting sometimes here and shares some info about progress with us.
Last edited by Tzeentech; Nov 10, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:42 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
537 Posts
Hi Tzeentech!
My colleaugue Stefan Baier had a little time to play and this is what came out!
A crazy 8-folder yoke which consists of two parts which slide into each other like Lego without having difficulties for the blade-screws!
DonŽt wonder about the different blade sizes! He did have only four of one size to make the picture!
We have to test it out how it works, but i think the sound will be great !
Ciao, Marcus
M. Koch is online now Find More Posts by M. Koch
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:38 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,383 Posts
He just invented a new art form!
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:59 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
970 Posts
Scorpion, im wondering what type of bolts you use to hold the blades on? Zinc plated? Titianium? I hope anything but stainless.. Im sure you know stainless bolts have no where near the same shear strength as a good 12.9 class steel bolt (usually less then half)

Have you guys thought about trying larger diameter blades? Something as large as an 18" could be worth experimenting with.?
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:13 AM
Inglish Nub
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
Scorpion, im wondering what type of bolts you use to hold the blades on? Zinc plated? Titianium? I hope anything but stainless.. Im sure you know stainless bolts have no where near the same shear strength as a good 12.9 class steel bolt (usually less then half)

Have you guys thought about trying larger diameter blades? Something as large as an 18" could be worth experimenting with.?
Which Motor should handle a 5 Blade 18x21? Even the 5035 has Pin 15kw by turning the above 5 Blade 8,5x23 and 3kw of pure heat.. And this Motor is huge!

That 8 Blade is just sick. I'd appreciate a 5Blade setup footage to get an idea about the sound. That would be awesome Marcus!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:43 AM
300 mph club ;-)
Regensburg, Germany
Joined Apr 2003
537 Posts
HI SlowBarless!
These big yokes are for a special winded 5035 Powercroco which has up to 15 KW power!
A 5- or more bladed prop in the 18 inch area will consume so much Amps that you perhaps need much more than 30 KW!
The biggest prop we have at the moment is 13x27 which work very good on the 5035, but Ralph has something bigger in mind !
I use steel bolts for the blades and had no problems yet with high rpm (35000) small folders and low rpm (16-18000) big folders. We also could use 4 mm steel bolts if it would be necessary, as props are designed for 4 mm bolts! So no problem to go to higher powers !
IŽll also try a 5 bladed setup for training on my powercroco 4535 in my Typhoon, when winter is over here in about 4 months :-(!
Now is building season ;-)!

Ciao, Marcus
M. Koch is online now Find More Posts by M. Koch
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:46 AM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzeentech View Post
Which Motor should handle a 5 Blade 18x21? Even the 5035 has Pin 15kw by turning the above 5 Blade 8,5x23 and 3kw of pure heat.. And this Motor is huge!

That 8 Blade is just sick. I'd appreciate a 5Blade setup footage to get an idea about the sound. That would be awesome Marcus!
Did I say anything about a 5 blade or an 18x21? At the end of the day, the larger the prop the more efficient it can be made. More people are realising you dont need small props at high rpm to go fast anymore. I just thought a larger prop would be something interesting to play with. I do think those 5 and 8 blade yokes look cool, but what's the idea behind it? You could be running a larger diameter prop, but with 2 blades. You would have less wake turbulence from each blade, less yoke turblulence... Just an idea.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:50 AM
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Koch View Post
HI SlowBarless!
These big yokes are for a special winded 5035 Powercroco which has up to 15 KW power!
A 5- or more bladed prop in the 18 inch area will consume so much Amps that you perhaps need much more than 30 KW!
The biggest prop we have at the moment is 13x27 which work very good on the 5035, but Ralph has something bigger in mind !
I use steel bolts for the blades and had no problems yet with high rpm (35000) small folders and low rpm (16-18000) big folders. We also could use 4 mm steel bolts if it would be necessary, as props are designed for 4 mm bolts! So no problem to go to higher powers !
IŽll also try a 5 bladed setup for training on my powercroco 4535 in my Typhoon, when winter is over here in about 4 months :-(!
Now is building season ;-)!

Ciao, Marcus
Thanks Marcus, it will be interesting to see what Ralph comes up with!

Whats made you guys transition over to 5 blade folders over 2 blade stuff? Just curious
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:29 AM
Inglish Nub
Joined May 2012
150 Posts
Slowbarless excuse me if I'm rude but your post doesn't make any sense.

Why do you think the Speedguys all went down to such small diameters and high pitch? Because if we talk of speed u dont need acceleration u need vpitch sounds logical hmm? You're right that a too small prop is inefficient because its tips reach at given rpms enormous speeds. At Mach 0,63 props get very inefficient because of that Ralph and the other speedguys are experimenting with 3 or more blades. Same vpitch less rpm less danger to get to mach 0,63 tipspeed. To find this compromise between efficient and fast propellers these guys did some huge technical reasearch and tests.
And yes a 5blade 18x21 comes fist to my mind if you talk about a 18" prop setup next to a picture with several 5 blade yokes on it.
Do some reasearch before posting nonsense..

Just ask yourself why noone's flying F5B props in F3Speed competitions..