HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
At least my Failures To Launch were not for nothing if it got you laughing,it was worth it.....On a side note,a couple weeks ago i smoked a motor in my Swist,so i had one shot to land,and had a bit to much speed....and i mean missed the end of the runway by feet.End result was me hitting the burm at the end,and pulling the wing,bolts,and fuselage mounts right off.The repair went well,and it has another 30 flights on it with no issues...Hell,it is stronger then it was So yup,i feel you pain.
VDC,
Your bullets are thinner than your wire ...........
Its a good thing that WOT is less than 3 seconds !!

What motor smoked ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:34 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
VDC,
Your bullets are thinner than your wire ...........
Its a good thing that WOT is less than 3 seconds !!

What motor smoked ?
That is a picture of my Swist fuz,not X-plane....but I do have 4mm bullets on both with no issues(but will be changing that soon).The motor I smoked was my Mega 16-35-1.5RE,I got stpuid with it running a 4.2 gearbox,GM 11X22 F5D folder on 6S...I held the throttle a couple seconds to long
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:17 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,379 Posts
Question for the speed guys. I have a CC180 that is going to be modified per the UK mod site. I have room for a single 6s monster pack or a couple of mid size packs. I'm looking at a 4035 size out runner, the 4020 seems too low amps for the load what kind of wind do I need to look for to study for the winding job? Any other suggestions and rhetoric is appreciated!
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:32 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Question for the speed guys. I have a CC180 that is going to be modified per the UK mod site. I have room for a single 6s monster pack or a couple of mid size packs. I'm looking at a 4035 size out runner, the 4020 seems too low amps for the load what kind of wind do I need to look for to study for the winding job? Any other suggestions and rhetoric is appreciated!
This question requires more details than you have mentioned. In order to figure out what wind and which wind, its best for you to dive right in to winding a motor yourself.

Pick up a junker and practice on winding it before you get to your meat and potatoes 4035. Getting the wire around the bends without nicking the enamel is the first challenge. Soldering the pigtail in a "Y" wind can be a daunting task. Getting the leads in a "D" wind the same length is just about as equally challenging for the inexperienced. Each has advantages and dis-advantages that you must decide for yourself upon.

Here is a small sample of an entry level resource
http://www.bavaria-direct.co.za/models/motor_info.htm
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:15 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,379 Posts
I'm leaning toward a LRK type wind on a 4035 12n10p scorpion, every other tooth.
Think I can keep the 180modded for a 6s 200+amp application and still turn a 8x10,12 respectivly. I need to find out the details from one of the power guys that is willing to help me figure the rest. I sure someone out there has a prop or two when needed!
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:16 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,361 Posts
I'll send you a 50mm motor to practice on if you want it.
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
I'll send you a 50mm motor to practice on if you want it.
That's actually a pretty good motor to practice on arcticflyer. I have built a few of those.
Getting the stator off the Scorpion bearing tube is the biggest challenge. I gave up after ruining a few stators. I spoke with MicroDan about this and he told me he ends up drilling them out.
Also keep in mind that especially with an LRK wind you want to get as much copper as you can around every tooth you wind.

If you do come up with a way to get the stator off without ruining it let me know.

Also another motor you should consider is the T600 Turnigy Heli motor. I believe it is 8 poles so the wind is a bit easier in thet I think it's ABCABC.....
The EDF guys were making incredible power out of this motor.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:05 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,379 Posts
Ok! Here's the deal I got thrown at me! Enough junk to possibly build three motors, 4035's
The Bells are 8, 10, 14 magnets, all 12 tooth stators. Hopefully I can get at least one stator off the shaft safely. Now to ask to guys that know, using a 6s-8s system how many turns of how thick wire should I start with? Don't have a clue what prop I'll need but thats later, just need to finish a motor that works first! The easiest to start with looks like a LRK wind.
Thanks in advance,
Tom
Last edited by ApexAero; Oct 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
Ok! Here's the deal I got thrown at me! Enough junk to possibly build three motors, 4035's
The Bells are 8, 10, 14 magnets, all 12 tooth stators. Hopefully I can get at least one stator off the shaft safely. Now to ask to guys that know, using a 6s-8s system how many turns of how thick wire should I start with? Don't have a clue what prop I'll need but thats later, just need to finish a motor that works first! The easiest to start with looks like a LRK wind.
Thanks in advance,
Tom
Tom,
We need to know how many RPM's, what size prop, and how much power you plan on using before anyone can tell you what kv to shoot for, which will then enable you to decide on what winding and how many turns. If LRK fits your kv needs, then ok ...................... but if not, then what ?

IMHO, its best to work from a goal, then break it down
Those bearing tubes need to be drilled out to remove the stator, I can do it if you want, I just need the motors in my grubby paws
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:00 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,379 Posts
The fast stuff seems to do better with higher pitch and lower rpm. Torque is whats needed to pull a stump. I'm absolutely positive there is someone out there that could throw a bone to me in the mean time while I finalize my design criteria for power needs. What I need to be doing is wind something thats forgiving in the sense it will not matter how much power I send it, the value will come from how much power I do send it and what it will turn at that amount of power. I can fit a large 8s pack, a couple of smaller 4s etc, a giant 6s and still have plenty of room for a large brick esc if needed. My project at this turn is sort of like having a 472 HEMI then building the car around it. When I build it the parts will come. I'm still reading and studying. In the process of modifying a couple of tools now to help with the wire lay.
LRK, from what I'm reading is the best for torque is why I'm stuck on it and every other tooth looks easier than a more complicated wind for a rookie.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:10 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Quote:
. My project at this turn is sort of like having a 472 HEMI then building the car around it. .
Its a 426 Hemi
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Its a 426 Hemi
He He! Yes it is. Only punched out and blown! After its built I'll set it in the corner, throw a tarp over it and build the rest around it!
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,361 Posts
APEX - go back to page 15 in this thread and start looking there. Scorpion Fan and M Koch (Marcus) chime in with some great pics and information on the Speed Cup planes. On one of the pics you can peep inside one of the motors and see the wires.

Another thread to research is an old thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+dollar&page=4

I do alot of lurking on the EU forums...will try and find you something else as well.

There is information in the HP forum however it is spread all over the place....we need some sticky's on this forum.
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,174 Posts
You can't wind lrk with 8 poles, but 10 and 14 are okay. 8 pole requires a completely different wind. Each phase is wound in a cross + pattern.

I would just guess what kv you want and do a wind based on a factory Scorpion motor. For 6s, you probably want about 800kv with 10x20 prop or 1100 for 8x13. For the first one, that's dlrk 6t delta or 4t for the second. I'm guessing, but it's reasonably close. Expect a lot of amps, like 200 for only 6s.

For wire size, I cut short pieces of wire and see how many strands fit in between the teeth. Divide by two and that's how many turns will fit. You can parallel the wire if you don't have anything bigger.
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
If I were doing this project and winding the motor, here is how I would do it.
1. Decide on the KV you want as that will determine everything else.
2. Decide on how many poles you want as that will determine the wind. ie 8 poles ABC, 12 poles dLRK or LRK. From your stock motor you know how many turns will produce a certain KV. From that you can figure out how many turns it will take to do your projected KV.
3. Decide on which wire you are going to use and what gauge. The bigger the gauge the better but you will run into a point where the larger gauge is very hard to wind.
4. Now cut short pieces of the wire a bit longer than the stator and see how many pieces you can fit in a slot of the stator. The idea is to get as much copper in the slots as you can to improve effeciency of the motor and not produce heat.
5, From this you can determine if you are running multiple wires per turn. Lets say you can get 12 pieces of wire in the slot and you need 6 turns on an ABC wind. 6 of those pieces will be used for one of the teeth and 6 the adjucent so you have achieves your goal. But if you can get 24 pieces in there then 12 will be used for each tooth so you will have 2 wires for each turn. Did I explain that OK.
6. Wind and do it neat and tight making sure you don't ground out he wire to the stator. I check with an ohm meter on every tooth I wind.

Terry
Chuchuf is offline Find More Posts by Chuchuf