Ouch!!! Too bad
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:11 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,762 Posts
Oh man, thats to bad,,,,, You could really hear to stall at launch... man so sorry, hope you fix it..... It isnt better when the plane is heavy. + no wind,,, I guees that 5mph wind was your saving before...

I NEVER fly some planes when its zero wind,, much easier when the wind is blowing a bit..

Sebbe
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:04 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,975 Posts
Sorry Arctic !!
Looked like a heli-chopter before it hit, what were you trying to do ........... a funnell ??
Do you throw this straight up, or are you trying a level throw? ........... somewhere in between ??
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:17 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Oh man, Arctic...
I'm sorry to see this. Really hope you get it fixed up quick
Check that motor shaft ASAP, if you can. If it's bent, you can get the repair by Mega underway while repairing the airframe.

The thing with torque roll on launch is that slamming in opposite aileron is what kills the plane. Since the wing is already so close to stall on launch, lowering the left aileron raises the angle of attack on the left wing, pushing it over the stall threshold, and there goes the unrecoverable corkscrew.

I did have a thought I was about to post before I saw the crash...

If you're doing a reliable 220mph one direction into the wind, I think you're perfectly safe in figuring 225 as a level airspeed.
That's airspeed from LEVEL flight and acceleration.

Once you get the Monster tuned up and are more comfortable with it, I foresee your diving 2-way averaged passes coming up to 250mph no problem!
That's SPEEDCUP speeds! And you're flying on 4.4KW. Maybe 5 to 5.5KW on the Mega 22/60/1E once you go to 6S and a little larger prop, or 7S and the smaller prop.
It's a little hard to figure what the German dudes are actually running for power, but sounds like they're up to 8KW+ to get 270mph or so.

Based on that, you're doing pretty well, Sir!

Keep it up.
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:23 AM
270mph club
Germany, BY, Marzling
Joined Oct 2006
54 Posts
6kw peak
accelerated: <5kw for 270mph

Greets, Jakob
AliasJack is offline Find More Posts by AliasJack
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:26 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Gah!
I knew I was taking a risk posting from the little bits I've picked up here and there...

Very nice work, Jakob.

How are you logging in-flight power?
Is the 270mph an average of 2 opposite direction passes?
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:38 AM
270mph club
Germany, BY, Marzling
Joined Oct 2006
54 Posts
I use an Unilog.

yep, thatīs an average.
Hereīs the vid

Fastest pass 285mph

Same Setup, other flight:
Name: ka was.jpg
Views: 55
Size: 109.8 KB
Description:

Greets
AliasJack is offline Find More Posts by AliasJack
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:36 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,195 Posts
Well that's a bummer. I started throwing these things with a right bank in them from my hand. That way there's room for some left torque before it's in crash mode. I was worried that the tail on the Monster is too small. It most certainly plays a part in this launch.

Crazy fast Jakob! Yours was close on launch too though even thought the thrower did a pretty good job.
Steve C is online now Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:20 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,365 Posts
After looking at Jacob's video that was exactly what my plane did...only as you can see from my video it never recovered. Thanks for the video Jacob!

I looked at the plane last night for over and hour and thought out the repair. Am going to get started today. Made a patch for the outside of the Fuz at the wing hold down from a piece of the old Monster wing skin. The process will be photgraphed and put on here so any "red Lights" will be picked up by some of you.

Will be switching back to a right hand throw where I can get more on it and control the throw better. I realized that holding the transmitter in the right hand really doesn't get me on the sticks that much faster and the added arm might help on the borderline throws.

If the shaft is bent my season is done up here...winter is just around the corner and a trip to CZ and back will put me into the snow I fear!
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Last edited by arcticflyer; Sep 25, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,365 Posts
Repair moved to Monster 1.1 build thread.

I decided to move the repairs from the failure to launch over to the Monster 1.1 build thread. Will keep this thread for testing motors and setups.
Last edited by arcticflyer; Sep 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,365 Posts
This video made me feel better

OOPS Plane Crash Die Pannenshow des RC Modellflugs Trailer Pannen (2 min 18 sec)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:33 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
What the hell,i will publicly toss myself under the bus,in hopes that this also makes you feel a bit better Arctic
Good way to end a bad day (0 min 13 sec)
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:35 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Oh,and this was a couple days later....man i hope this is putting a smile on your face,cause it is killing me to watch
Mama said there would be days like this (0 min 46 sec)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,365 Posts
Oh my goodness am I laughing SORRY BRO but that is exactly what mine did so we can feel each others pain
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Aug 2010
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
Oh my goodness am I laughing SORRY BRO but that is exactly what mine did so we can feel each others pain
At least my Failures To Launch were not for nothing if it got you laughing,it was worth it.....On a side note,a couple weeks ago i smoked a motor in my Swist,so i had one shot to land,and had a bit to much speed....and i mean missed the end of the runway by feet.End result was me hitting the burm at the end,and pulling the wing,bolts,and fuselage mounts right off.The repair went well,and it has another 30 flights on it with no issues...Hell,it is stronger then it was So yup,i feel you pain.