HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:04 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,040 Posts
The cleanest one I got was 213 MPH +-3.5mph, on the 4th pass.

Nice work man!!!!
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:11 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,495 Posts
Thanks Bro I wanted some independent reviews. Got a feeling your 7x10's are going to get some action soon...got a 50mm folding spinner coming from Florida and if I can get my hands on some 7S lipos the 7x10's are up first.

Oh Yeah, I know you put 4.5KW on them but I can tell you it is probably going to be over 5...they look like they can handle it...and trust me I won't hold ya to it!
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Mar 2006
2,040 Posts
Hahaha, can't wait!!!!

Funny, I'm adding more cells to my Ninja as well, going to 9s and a 6x10, for a little more RPM and pitch speed....
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:34 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,816 Posts
345km/h , 13 degrees celcius, as I can discovered in my analyze program and by looking at the shape if the graph the soundfrequency is desceding after the pass (?) battery not having the power, or just cant keep up the rpm some way... maybee you decrease throtlestick after the pass ???

thats way I measured the line after the pass...

213 mph

This was the 4:th one, the 3:rd was very starnge looking graphs...

next time its better have full throttle 2 seconds after pass, then you can cut throttle pretty fast, then I will se on the graph where you do that, and the line after the pass will also be more straight...

Sebbe
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:57 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Anybody get the pass @ 50 seconds ................. I keep getting over 220 mph
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,495 Posts
Thanks alot for the help guys...I don't like making claims without some "independent" varification

Mopar - I got 213 on one of the passes and 220 on another but can't remember which one. Will go back over and test the one you mentioned.

Am pretty happy those speeds are "dragster" runs with no diving and only 5 seconds of WOT Also my runs were kinda high over the camera and off to the side some. As the bugs are worked out those passes will be very close to the camera and right over top then the readings will be more accurate...same as radar.

Haven't even "cleaned" up the plane yet. Control rods are out in the wind and the gaps at the hinges arn't covered yet. With 65C's and those changes.....I wonder???

Better yet 7S

DOWNUNDER - would be real interested to see the data on runs made with your Ninja on 9S!!!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Jan 2006
1,495 Posts
First Pass

WOW Mopar you are right...got 220+ on that pass as well.
The battery would have been fresh at this point in the flight. Just thought that pass was to high over the camera and ignored it.

Zipped it...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:28 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,816 Posts
yepp, 220-223mph....
sebbe is online now Find More Posts by sebbe
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,495 Posts
Thanks sebbe three of us agree on that pass so taking into account the wind 6S is getting me 225 which is great! Wonder what 7S would get me
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Mar 2006
2,040 Posts
Smokin', man! Getting close to the magic 250 mark, where the speedcup guys assure us it's almost impossible without making everything yourself!!!!

Maybe it is, but it's fun trying eh?
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:16 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Smokin', man! Getting close to the magic 250 mark, where the speedcup guys assure us it's almost impossible without making everything yourself!!!!

Maybe it is, but it's fun trying eh?
MAYBE ??????????
Ummm ...................... arent YOU making your own CF props now - a - days ????
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Mar 2006
2,040 Posts
Hehehe, yep, this is true.....

I was also referring to those sick outrunners and airframes as well!!!!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:32 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
maybe ??????????
Ummm ...................... Arent you making your own cf props now - a - days ???? :d
Yes he is : ).......Oh wait,wrong thread,i need to find one that says Small Outrunners : )
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Last edited by VooDoo Child; Sep 24, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
Thanks sebbe three of us agree on that pass so taking into account the wind 6S is getting me 225 which is great! Wonder what 7S would get me
You better hurry up ! I just might beat you to 250 .....For Real,i am getting a massive kick out of watching all your hard work come to fruition.......On a side note,i hope i used that word proper in that sentence
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,495 Posts
Prop Stall

DISASTER....went to the field tonight to get some more video for doppler. No wind...I mean literally no wind. This worried me a bit as all launches up to now were into at least 5mph of wind...but they were fine and no indication of tip stalling or prop stall was ever noticed so what happened tonight was totally unexpected.

Everything was the same EXCEPT...I was using the prop that was chipped the other day however instead of a 7.6x12.5 it was a 7x12.5 after the repair. Thought nothing of it!

At launch moved the throttle to where I have put it for the past three launches and gave it a toss. It banked to the left and I knew immediatley that it was in trouble full right aileron did not stop the bank to the left and it just...did not want to fly. I have seen prop stall on some 400 class planes and they did exactly the same thing.

The damage to the wing is a hole in the leading edge and some lamination seperation at the leading edge where it meets the Fuz.

The problem is the wing hold down which I have always felt was weak area of this plane was popped from the side of the Fuz. The old Monster had a four bolt hold down with two at the leading edge and two at the trailing edge which was much stronger.

I hope the motor shaft wasn't bent...the spinner took the worst of it.

Anyway.....I've got some work to do! Here is the video of the crash look in the lower left corner.

Prop Stall Crash (0 min 7 sec)
Last edited by arcticflyer; Sep 24, 2012 at 10:52 PM.