SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2012, 04:35 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Obviously inspired by a double decker bus!

Brillant piece of engineering and a clever solution to maximising battery space whilst limiting frontal area and solving the the cg issue.

Thanks for posting that link Yello!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 06:48 AM
444 kph
Joined Nov 2008
513 Posts
you are wrong.

the model is a genial easy made electric clon of joachims weirichs gas-speeder.

the "original":

the clon:

so both models have nearby constant flight features - it makes easier for the pilot to change between them.
the room for the reso-tube is used for battery now.
the result shows, that this idea was really good!
drive:
10S battery; HK 4225 scorpion in YY winding, 7,7" x 13,8" with up too 26.000rpm.

brand new:
the tomahawk build by christoff and flown by christian erdt.

niklas' orange fluxxer (construction erwin schamburger) reached 410km/h average in both directions with 11"x 20" folder and HK 4225 motor.

my own "old" (maiden of first eagle was in 2007!) 4 flap eagle-t flew this time with 4235 motor 9S battery and 12"x 24" 3 blade folder.
was good for 414km/h in one direction with extremely silent less than 13500rpm.

scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; May 28, 2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 07:04 AM
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Joined Sep 2007
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion-fan View Post
.....you are wrong......
That's OK Scorpion, at least I am consistent!

I was actually referring to the stacked battery configuration but your point about it being a clone of the glow "version" was news to me, thank you.

Congratulations with your success too!
Peter M is offline Find More Posts by Peter M
Old May 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Quote:
you are wrong.

the model is a genial easy made electric clon of joachims weirichs gas-speeder.

the "original":

the clon:

so both models have nearby constant flight features - it makes easier for the pilot to change between them.
the room for the reso-tube is used for battery now.
the result shows, that this idea was really good!
drive:
10S battery; HK 4225 scorpion in YY winding, 7,7" x 13,8" with up too 26.000rpm.

brand new:
the tomahawk build by christoff and flown by christian erdt.

niklas' orange fluxxer (construction erwin schamburger) reached 410km/h average in both directions with 11"x 20" folder and HK 4225 motor.

my own "old" (maiden of first eagle was in 2007!) 4 flap eagle-t flew this time with 4235 motor 9S battery and 12"x 24" 3 blade folder.

congrats to the 414 "Scorpion-Fan" ;-)
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old May 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Arctic,
That motor NEEDS to get you some more awesome flight time!

JB Weld that sucker!!
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old May 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,488 Posts
Great Stuff!

Thanks for the links and pics guys great stuff Congrats to Speed Cups Guys!
WOW...I guess it is obvious the direction that things are headed with cutting edge speed stuff
The converted gasser was a fantastic idea...man what I would give for the room inside of that plane...could put that 400A ESC in there easy

If I am not mistaken there is another Speed Cup event in late July please post up the pics and results of that as well.

I'm moving to Germany Rolf...you got some extra room?

Changed the title of the thread somewhat.....Inrunners/Outrunners
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old May 28, 2012, 10:23 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
Thanks for the links and pics guys great stuff Congrats to Speed Cups Guys!
WOW...I guess it is obvious the direction that things are headed with cutting edge speed stuff
The converted gasser was a fantastic idea...man what I would give for the room inside of that plane...could put that 400A ESC in there easy

If I am not mistaken there is another Speed Cup event in late July please post up the pics and results of that as well.

I'm moving to Germany Rolf...you got some extra room?

Changed the title of the thread somewhat.....Inrunners/Outrunners
As I wrote you one time ;-) artic,
they all fly outrunner.
for the room - oh yes - there is in my tinker cellar I have a campbed
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old May 28, 2012, 10:28 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,225 Posts
Quote:

It's good to see you back here. I had a panic attack when your website was down for a bit during reconstruction. I want you to know I really appreciate what you share.

You also did a 5 blade prop didn't you? I know you said you wanted the plane to get up to speed like a dragster

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old May 28, 2012, 11:02 AM
444 kph
Joined Nov 2008
513 Posts
the 5 blade 8,5x23 and the 3 blade 11,5 x 24 brought very similar results in the tests.
this means in reached speed and needed power for it and also in acceleration with the same rpm.

the main difference is the noise.
the 3 blade is really silent and needed less than 13500rpm for the >400km/h, but the 5 blade folder has an unbelievable noise - you must hear it in real.

the only and main disadvantage of 5 blade prop is the higher weight, primary of the middle part.
difference is about 40gramms!
it changes the cg significant and I was to lazy to change the setup to this during the meeting.

but I'am just dreaming to use the 12x24 in 5 blade config soon into the harpyie project.

about website: all the new models just are online in the galery:
http://www.powercroco.de/fliegerspeed.html
scorpion-fan is offline Find More Posts by scorpion-fan
Last edited by scorpion-fan; May 28, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 03:54 AM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Steve - I'm glad your on here I have only landed this motor twice...the first landing it broke the prop...then I got a 200+ run out of it on the second flight...then today I took it out to see about room for an ESC and found that the back plate was slightly pushed back. I guess Murdo's concern about breaking props and the back plates was well founded. The tiny screws were to deep and actually worked their way under the metal they did not break through the back of the case if that makes sense.
I am so bummed as I love this motor...any suggestions!

Thanks for the PM Steve!
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
Arctic,
That motor NEEDS to get you some more awesome flight time!

JB Weld that sucker!!
Hey Dudes !!
Arctic ............ NICE going !!
I LOVE this thread !!!!

I have ALOT of heat activated glue left. Same glue I use in every motor I put together.
You can decide on which of the 2 options work best for you.

1. Send me that motor and I will bake it after glueing, it wont move again.

or

2. I can send you some glue, problem is I dont know if it will survive the trip.

This batch was made and has been kept @ 45deg F since, and I doubt it will stay @ 45deg for the entire trip. Its 90 deg F where I am right now during the day.

Murdo,
Has JB Weld helt together for you on your motors ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old May 29, 2012, 08:03 AM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Hey Dudes !!
Arctic ............ NICE going !!
I LOVE this thread !!!!

I have ALOT of heat activated glue left. Same glue I use in every motor I put together.
You can decide on which of the 2 options work best for you.

1. Send me that motor and I will bake it after glueing, it wont move again.

or

2. I can send you some glue, problem is I dont know if it will survive the trip.

This batch was made and has been kept @ 45deg F since, and I doubt it will stay @ 45deg for the entire trip. Its 90 deg F where I am right now during the day.

Murdo,
Has JB Weld helt together for you on your motors ?
I've used JB Weld with good success on a handful of long 28mm motors, and two 36mm inrunners. 220g and 340g motors.
It's important to scrape off the adhesive down to the bare metal on both the motor can and the end cap around the glue joint. I use a dull X-acto blade to carefully scrape the interior of the can. I even scrape the anodization off to give a little larger gap so less glue gets wiped off when the parts slip together.
Then I smear a thin coat of JB Weld on both surfaces and just start to slip them together.
Now the key part in my eyes:
Before the pieces slip all the way together, I heat the joint up with a heat gun so the JB Weld gets runny and will flow into the joint better. Then I slide the end cap on and run tape around the motor till it cures.

All motors that I've JB Welded have held together even in pusher configuration where the stress is on the rear end cap.
I even ran the JB Weld idea past Dan, and he gave it the nod of approval.

And Mopar, I do like the idea of the heat-cure glue, too. Do you just bake the whole motor to cure it?

*** Of course, I'd only do this or recommend it when warranty issues are NOT a factor, or repair by the manufacturer is not a possibility.

And Mopar, I do like the idea of the heat-cure glue, too. Do you just bake the whole motor to cure it?
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
Old May 29, 2012, 11:25 AM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,488 Posts
ESC Mod...I know I'm outa warranty here!

Hey Guys - Good to hear from Mopar!

Just thought I'd share my Ice Lite 250 Added heat sinks front and back and installed a fan on the front. Neccessity is the mother of invention
Got to get some heat away from this burried ESC and be able to run it in the 250 zone.

My only concern with the fan is will it hurt the receiver? I was going to run it off of receiver power BUT unknow demons are bouncing around in the thought process about the load...it says on the fan .07A at 12volts (will only be runnig it at 6volts).

Thanks for the advise on the motor guys...will be working on it tonight. The only problem is that I can't get ONE of the set screws out. It was damged when the back case pushed back and will not screw out as a matter of fact I stripped it trying

Will keep you posted on the progress and will make some 5S speed runs to see if the cooling mods helped the ESC
arcticflyer is offline Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Last edited by arcticflyer; May 29, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,352 Posts
Mopar: I just knew you would show up sooner or later. You've got more HP hardware than most, so I'm curious about which composit racer you'll start with
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old May 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
I've used JB Weld with good success on a handful of long 28mm motors, and two 36mm inrunners. 220g and 340g motors.
It's important to scrape off the adhesive down to the bare metal on both the motor can and the end cap around the glue joint. I use a dull X-acto blade to carefully scrape the interior of the can. I even scrape the anodization off to give a little larger gap so less glue gets wiped off when the parts slip together.
Then I smear a thin coat of JB Weld on both surfaces and just start to slip them together.
Now the key part in my eyes:
Before the pieces slip all the way together, I heat the joint up with a heat gun so the JB Weld gets runny and will flow into the joint better. Then I slide the end cap on and run tape around the motor till it cures.

All motors that I've JB Welded have held together even in pusher configuration where the stress is on the rear end cap.
I even ran the JB Weld idea past Dan, and he gave it the nod of approval.

*** Of course, I'd only do this or recommend it when warranty issues are NOT a factor, or repair by the manufacturer is not a possibility.

I just bake the entire motor.
I actually use a fine rasp to get to virgin aluminum prior to glueing on both the can and caps.
You have to be carefull and manage the temperature extra carefully, but I have come up with a way that has kept end caps on, even to the point of mushrooming the shaft trying to knock off a glued end cap with a 7# lump hammer
Old May 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,997 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys - Good to hear from Mopar!

Just thought I'd share my Ice Lite 250 Added heat sinks front and back and installed a fan on the front. Neccessity is the mother of invention
Got to get some heat away from this burried ESC and be able to run it in the 250 zone.

My only concern with the fan is will it hurt the receiver? I was going to run it off of receiver power BUT unknow demons are bouncing around in the thought process about the load...it says on the fan .07A at 12volts (will only be runnig it at 6volts).

Thanks for the advise on the motor guys...will be working on it tonight. The only problem is that I can't get ONE of the set screws out. It was damged when the back case pushed back and will not screw out as a matter of fact I stripped it trying

Will keep you posted on the progress and will make some 5S speed runs to see if the cooling mods helped the ESC
Arctic,
I am out of my element here, but wouldnt it do better if you were able to exhause air from the fuse at the rear of the ESC to get airflow moving past it ............ it looks like your cooling mod will just stuff the air around the ESC ............ or do your see your ducts allowing the fan to move the air out of the fuse ?

.14 amps isnt too bad, but do you think it will spin fast enough @ 1/2 its rated voltage ?

I have used electronic end nippers with great success getting his very tiny allen head screws out

+1 on 100% brake !!
Last edited by moparmyway; May 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM.