Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 25, 2012, 05:04 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
well, if it does 185mph at 2.7kw, then its a pretty draggy airframe.. It must do +200
What kind of power does it take the true competition speedcup-types when they're doing 200mph? 250mph (400kph)?

That will give baselines for judging efficient setups.
2.7KW at 185mph sounds like Funjet speeds, eh?
murdnunoc is offline Find More Posts by murdnunoc
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Murdo, I can't wait to see your Ninja. 8mm motor shaft? Is the whole motor a shaft!?! I think they call those outrunners (tongue in cheek, if the emoticon isn't obvious enough!)
My poor Ninja's coming along slow.
I got cheap after the $70 USD quote for CNC wing cores. Built up some blanks from Home Depot purple foam and am attempting to wire them myself. The wire broke when I was nearly finished with the first of the four cuts. Think I can salvage the core, but I'm gun-shy now until I get some good stainless wire.

Any 36mm Mega is available in 8mm shaft. Love 'em! Nice insurance
Old May 25, 2012, 06:09 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Mreyello - I agree the initial jump to 5S will require backing off on the prop and working my way up...may go back to 7x7 or 7x8 to start. And yes...that special project would be sweet

Murdo - This was my first flight with the NEU have no data prior to this with this motor other than static runs in the house. And yes I agree the lower temp is a result of the cooling mods and the higher quality motor! However, it did cool the Typhoon 650 down quite a bit. The Speed Cup guys have pretty much gone to custom wound Scorpion outrunners and some custom outrunners made by guys in Germany mounted on the nose in the wind!

Sebbe - The new Monster 1.1 is much more aerodynamic and will exceed in that area. This plane has some issues which is why the new one is coming out. If you look at the differences between the airframes they are considerable. The tail (Fin & Stab)on this plane is way to big and they addressed that on the new one. This is not an F5D...it is a BIG plane and has a big wing so the drag is much higher. But that's OK as long as someone is making BIG motors!

Acrterryxxx- Honestly...I have sworn off the motocalcs and the pitch speed charts because I have yet to match anything up with real numbers and I have spent HOURS trying. If you look at my numbers from Static at launch and in flight you might be able to come up with a percentage. However there are so many variables. What motor are you using in that setup?

Tomorrow if I can squeeze a trip to the field I am going to try some 5S stuff
arcticflyer is online now Find More Posts by arcticflyer
Old May 25, 2012, 06:25 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post

Acrterryxxx- Honestly...I have sworn off the motocalcs and the pitch speed charts because I have yet to match anything up with real numbers and I have spent HOURS trying. If you look at my numbers from Static at launch and in flight you might be able to come up with a percentage. However there are so many variables. What motor are you using in that setup?

Tomorrow if I can squeeze a trip to the field I am going to try some 5S stuff
Arctic: I don't trust the calcs either: that's why I asked the question with the real life CC log data (for what it's worth) from a real static run and crude pitch speed calc enclosed as a translation.
The motor is a "Special" - no SKU to look up I'm afraid. But it seems quite effective compared to your numbers, doesn't it?
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
Old May 25, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Arcterryxxx- those numbers are definately interesting! Tomorrow I'm going to give this motor some air time with the 7x13 folders starting at 3S. I want to see how much they unload and see if it is possible to go to 4S with them...motor and ESC temps will lead the way! The ICE 200 with heat sink is starting to look real good!
Old May 26, 2012, 03:43 AM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc View Post
That makes me feel a good deal better, DUP and Arctic.

I'll press on with the "outboard" install!
I can always get the large Megas in 8mm shaft, so the shaft is guaranteed to hold up to whatever potholes I can find in the field.

Are you guys keeping a close eye on the prop's position during the final landing glide? This is where having a strong brake comes in, as the position can be observed and the throttle blipped until the prop is close to horizontal.
A windmilling prop guarantees that at some point the prop will touch the ground, even if it's only to bump it out of the way, which may be causing the frequent tip breaks.
'Course, watching the prop only works if you can land close enough to SEE the prop!
Well I never thought to see where the prop was orientated!

Good idea. Check out my APC 3x10.....
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old May 26, 2012, 11:03 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Quote:
What kind of power does it take the true competition speedcup-types when they're doing 200mph? 250mph (400kph)?

That will give baselines for judging efficient setups.
2.7KW at 185mph sounds like Funjet speeds, eh?
OK, I thought the old monster would be more aerodynamic then a funjet..

arcticflyer, ok, as I said, i thought it was really slick and fast plane, at least faster then a funjet with same power... yeah, maybee the new 1.1 is slimmer..
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
Old May 26, 2012, 12:30 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
No doubt in my mind that the purpose built speed plane does better at higher speeds than the FJ.

The reason I asked about the power levels the competition Speed Cup planes is so we can judge whether we're in the ballpark for power requirements for speed.

For example, Arcticflyer's 180mph at 2.7KW would work out to 250mph on 7.2KW. Once he gets there...
If Speedcup guys are doing 250mph on around that same power level, then we know Arctic's Monster is NOT a draggy plane.
Last edited by murdnunoc; May 26, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
Joined Oct 2007
4,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUnderPilot View Post
Well I never thought to see where the prop was orientated!

Good idea. Check out my APC 3x10.....
Careful, DUP. You'll be giving Marcus Koch some ideas for a new prop size.
Old May 26, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Hey just for kicks did this:

Static - (3) 3 second WOT's
5S - NEU 1515/1Y
7x8 APC

VOlts 20.9 Max
Amps 228 Max
Watts 3465 Max
RPM's 28,435 Max

Batteries are sub standard and don't have the C rating for extended WOT throttle runs even in the air I think my Batts will poop out quick with 6 to 7 second bursts. Still might try it

Got a line on either a 300amp or 400amp ESC am calling the guy in Florida Monday

Sebbe - WE AIN'T NEAR DONE YET!....there is a limit to the FJ's speeds and at that point it becomes a ball of white foam fluff. Mr. Scott just needs to give me some more WARP!
Last edited by arcticflyer; May 26, 2012 at 01:30 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:53 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
arcticflyer , im sure no funjet will get close to your final speed... I just thought the Monster version 1.0 was faster then a funjet with same power in, Im not talking Warp power , more like 2-3kw..
Old May 26, 2012, 01:57 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Quote:
No doubt in my mind that the purpose built speed plane does better at higher speeds than the FJ.

The reason I asked about the power levels the competition Speed Cup planes is so we can judge whether we're in the ballpark for power requirements for speed.

For example, Arcticflyer's 180mph at 2.7KW would work out to 250mph on 7.2KW. Once he gets there...
If Speedcup guys are doing 250mph on around that same power level, then we know Arctic's Monster is NOT a draggy plane.
I know what you did mean, I think the Monster is in the same ballpark, those big planes at german speecup aint F5D sleek, therefore they need more power... I just thought the Monster was sleek, almost like a pylon, but maybee I would have changed my mind if I did see one for real...

I have compared ver 1.0 and 1.1, and yes, the 1.1 looks faster and sleeker..
Old May 26, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,363 Posts
Drag Issues!

Sebbe - Trust me this first airframe has it's issues(got at least 3mm of aileron trim to keep her straight and level and that isn't helping)...and I agree with you 100% I would have liked to see a bit higher speeds for what I have put into it already and I am somewhat disappointed in that.

But I am hoping the new one which is crossing the pond now will show some much better numbers in airspeed at the point we are at now.

Heading to the field this afternoon to BLOW UP my 5S batteries...wish me luck!
Last edited by arcticflyer; May 26, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticflyer View Post
Sebbe - Trust me this first airframe has it's issues(got at least 3mm of aileron trim to keep her straight and level and that isn't helping)...and I agree with you 100% I would have liked to see a bit higher speeds for what I have put into it already and I am somewhat disappointed in that.

But I am hoping the new one which is crossing the pond now will show some much better numbers in airspeed at the point we are at now.

Heading to the field this afternoon to BLOW UP my 5S batteries...wish me luck!
Go for it ,,,,, motor will hold, no problems..... and good luck of course
Old May 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
512 Posts
Have you seen a Monster on a Speedcup over here in germany ? or read from it somewhere in articles from speedcups ??

I am not ---- so think about it.....

greez
Rolf
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.