SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by cleansurf2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:04 PM
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
60 Starfire w landing flaps

haven't maddened yet. my hills are all covered in 3 feet of snow . everything seems like it will work well. i put some carbon fiber rods all the way though to hold my skids and fins on. i used balsa for the controls so i also needed something on the tips to stop my elivons from getting shredded on there ends. the skids seem like they will protect my controls. ill put a simple spray finish of florescent orange on top black on the bottom after first flights i'm not picky about finish so i don't care if it sticks well to the new stuff. all i want to do is fly er but ill have to wait or buy snowshoes lol Name: oct. 2012 119.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 196.0 KB
Description: foam is cut
Name: oct. 2012 120.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 296.5 KB
Description: spar 12mm x 2 mm
Name: oct. 2012 121.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 299.2 KB
Description: glue and tape
Name: wing 001.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 252.8 KB
Description: second spar same size strait across also some bi directional tape here and there
Name: wing 002.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 183.4 KB
Description: top
Name: wing 003.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 238.5 KB
Description: bottom servo extensions in
Name: starfire raw 003.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 297.5 KB
Description: top
Name: starfire raw 002.jpg
Size: 280.1 KB
Description:
Name: starfire raw 004.jpg
Size: 300.3 KB
Description: bottom with drag fins
Name: starfire raw 001.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 248.6 KB
Description:
fliteline dave is offline Find More Posts by fliteline dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:38 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
612 Posts
fliteline dave,

Nice work, really interested in the true CG position once you have it fully dialed in.
I have some more 48" PW51 Starfires on order. Looking forward to a specific DS build.
Like the flaps, they will be really handy, the PW51 Starfires are a handfull to land, they are very quick.

Rick
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:03 PM
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
thanks rick
im really looking forward to getting in the air with that plane i got an alula for Christmas and flew a little on the island where my home is unfortunately the slope that i used for years there has been posted no trespassing so im really limited on where i can fly that's why i got a SAL for when im home there's also a military air base there so im not really comfortable flying my park wings there ether

hers a picture of my alula after i broke a control horn
good thing it floats so well!!! lol Name: alula floating 063.jpg
Views: 41
Size: 245.2 KB
Description:
Old Jan 17, 2013, 02:27 PM
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
Starefire 60 update

Got to maden my plane yesterday. Winds 30-50 kmh flew realy good with the cg we had discussed. Painted it this morning and just got done flying winds 40-60kmh and a sustained gust that blew me on my ass maybe 80+ and pushed my plane up and over the hill but it remained stable and I put it down the spoilers work as intended and calm the bird down nice although I was behind myself 50 meters lol trying to stand up The weather has warmed up to 5C so it's just bearable to stand out on the hill there is a little notch where the wind backs up so its not that bad
Have a g day I will post some photos when I can
Dave
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:57 PM
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
starfire 60

noticed something when i was painting this morning or yesterday morning for you that is that i followed the joint between the inner and outer wing for my fins that is not in line with the flight oops anyway i took some photos of the method that i used for putting the fins in and found it easy to remove the old setup as i just cut off the old carbon rods all i need now is some more paint Name: a winters fly 026.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 261.4 KB
Description:

Name: a winters fly 028.jpg
Size: 130.4 KB
Description: carbon rods

Name: a winters fly 029.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 143.7 KB
Description: they follow the coro slots and are ca' d into the wing

Name: a winters fly 030.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 222.9 KB
Description: botttom skid with the same carbon rods sticking out the bottom

Name: a winters fly 031.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 123.8 KB
Description: you can see how far out i was in this photo
the coro is hot glued to finish the job
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:28 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
612 Posts
Dave

That info is gold, thanks heaps for the input, will save me heaps of problems.
The build looks great and a nice high vis colour.

Using my plug in fin technique (pictured below). The vetical mount is braced with an embeded piece of FG rod across part of the wing. So would have been imposible for me to move it after installation. I will use a square to get the alignment right. Like you I was going to setup on the wing join.
Like your method and it is definatelty easier. However a little bit inconvenient for storage and transport.

Apparently on the SKUA1500 (same style of wing), they can suffer speed loss from yaw instability. I can easily extend my tails behind the TE to improve yaw stability with this method.

CG
So have you fine tuned your CG ???
I'm really keen for an accurate CG because I am doing ballast tubes, I can't move them, so want to get them spot on, right on the true dialed in CG. So exactly what is your ready to fly dialed in CG ? I was going to hope that the max MWcores CG spec of 8" was close enough, but I have found the spec CG to be inacurrate in the past. Your true dialed in CG will be gold

Another factor in your build that may effect the CG is your inner elevators/flaps, if they have any reflex dialed in, instead of maintaining the original airfoil profile, that can make a difference. What do you think your flaps setup was in flight, where they inline with the PW51 airfoil profile or was there some minor reflex applied ?
Last edited by cleansurf2; Jan 18, 2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:50 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
612 Posts
Dave

Did you use anything to prep for the paint ?
What type of paint did you use ? Looks great !
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:36 PM
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
oh no rick I'm simple with my finish i just touch up when it comes off just a simple can of florescent spray paint tape up a couple of stripes on the bottom and ten minutes dry time done! nothing fancy all i need is to see the thing and that's not hard with a bird this big i cant wait to get it back in the air but the weather went from +6C to -12C in about twenty minutes and there is a blizzard blowing in from the north i did some dives while i was flying and didn't feel that the cg was out at all didn't nose up or down at all 206mm or 8 1/8" from the nose i see that you started your build on your 60 as well cool sorry didn't see your larger post above #1 the flaps are directly in line and are exactly the same size as the original airfoil that i removed for them actually this is the first time i have ever put a new plane in the air and did not have to trim the elevators for good flight performance it needed a little trim in yaw (i guess its yaw left and right lol)
#2 the winds were very high and gusty but from some experience with plank style wings if the cg was out it would have been a real hand-full right out of the gates
I have added a little up trim for my elevator in my program for when i use flaps next time i fly was not very much though 15% for a start
i have a1200ma bat. in the nose and two 85g tire weights up by the front edge to get my cg i think there 85g they might be 65g any way you'll know when you get there
also what i meant on following the seam between the foam was that the fins were canted in like on a tri fin surfboard if you look at the photo you'll see how much they were out i had seen the problem during the original build but came back and forgot their all good now though

Dave
Last edited by fliteline dave; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:31 PM. Reason: me bad
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:00 PM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
612 Posts
Dave.

Big Thanks for the info.

Here is a picture of my planned layout.
-With the dual I-beam FG rod.
-I have used a square to mark out the fin alignment (Like you said, you can see it's not lined up with the wing join).
-My ballast tube position in the center (still considering that design).
-At the moment I am considering a full length cover for the ballast that will double as air brakes. Hopefully it won't cause up pitch as it will be on the CG.

Rick
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:09 PM
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
hey i saw on the oz ds site that you have been learning how to ds hows that going?
looks good your not taking any thing out of the middle? just keeping it at 60"?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:51 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
612 Posts
Yes, just keeping this build at 60".
Two reasons:
1. A known (now) CG so I can build in a ballast tube.
2. This will be a pure DS wing, as I like small, highly manouverable wings for front side, I get board with big dosile stuff, even if it's faster. So as a DS wing, 60" will be fine, it will be manouverable enough when the speed gets up to 100mph+

As for DSing. Absolutely loving it. It's like starting all over again at another whole level of flying skill. I've flown my 41" Starfire, DSing at around 3 times the speed of a front side dive. plus it's low, twitchy, turbulance and very precise flying to get it right.
The downside is the crashing and re-building. Even the really good pilots still go in way more than skilled frontside flying.
Once your hooked, man, everything else seems so sedate, easy and boring.

I have a new youtube DS session (41" Starfire). Keeping the site quite due to access/legal issues, so I have it as a private video. Your in Canada so happy for you to have a look at it. I have to send the link to your email if you want access though, I will delete it from this thread after I send you the link, if you want to check it out.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:56 AM
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
well Rick you were lucky to get all my info its freezing here now igloo building weather I was driving in the oil field with a friend and he took me on a road that goes right by the top side of a big ridge i always thought i would have to hike up so one more hill to fly on in the spring im looking forward to doing some ds ing sounds like a rush i have one spot on a big finger down from my curent fly spot but it has vertical on both sides and is about 10 feet across on the top it will be fun retrieving any poor flights its all grass covered and no trees and about 100 feet high about 15 feet of vertical should work good
Last edited by fliteline dave; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:43 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
612 Posts
Your potential DS sight sounds good. Lucky you built in the flaps, sounds like you may need them to drop it on the narrow top.

You have a Country with plenty of slopes compared to Australia, but all that cold and snow. Hope you at least get to ski/snowboard in the stuff. I can fly all year around here, depending on seasonal winds. But generally a fairly flat country and most slopes are tree covered, so not the ideal Country for sloping. New Zealand Rocks for sloping, hope to do that some day..
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:32 PM
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Jan 2011
181 Posts
Oh its only cold in the winter Like 5 months I'm like you trees on all the hills and really flat I'm finding spots in the river valleys around here and most of the valleys run in the wrong direction for the good winds so I have to find access to the top of the ridges where the wind is right mostly ranches on private land with cattle I use google earth to find the roads but usually wind up at a locked gate I'm putting together a camera helmet like yours and will use it to shot some video so you can see the area unfortunately there wont be a nice point break in the background lol
by the way I haven't been out boarding in a while but I do get to drift icy corners in a fully loaded commercial vehicle on back roads that's fun
Last edited by fliteline dave; Jan 23, 2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: me bad again
Old Mar 22, 2013, 03:24 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
612 Posts
Gizmo Colour selection

Tim,

No success attaching photos to the RCgroups email, so I posted here.

cheers
Rick