HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:36 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
Build Log
Multi-purpose utility plane

Me and an internet friend are planning to make a medium sized RC plane for various things we want to test out. It will have a similar configuration to a cross between a C-119 and OV-10
Here's a couple pics, my drawing:
and a shot of in the the X-Plane simulator:
it's about a 7 foot wing span as it in the the pictures. After testing it I found out it probably has too much wing area, so I trimmed it down, but in the simulator it seems to fly great so far. Haven't finalized what motors to use, etc. I hope to build it this summer but as being a College student can go nothing is for sure, lol
pow-wow is offline Find More Posts by pow-wow
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:12 AM
Balsa builder and balsa basher
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Vey nice CAD design and good design i general. Have you decided on the wing length, wing spect ratio, fuselage length and also engine size. These three things will shape your build and are fundermental. Is this your first scratch build? because if it is then join the club because currently i'm build a 1.6m high wing trainer, here's the link if you want to check it out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1638287

what do you mean by utility, do you mean carrying cameras or dropping parachutes (something like that) ? Last question what material is it going to be made out of balsa/lite ply or foam and if it's balsa what's your fuselage structure going to be stringer or balsa sheet and former?

Sorry for the scrutiny (probably spelt wrong) just been a long time since i've followed a scratch build haha.

Be sure to check out my Build

RC Trainer Plane
RC Trainer plane is offline Find More Posts by RC Trainer plane
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,730 Posts
Why the twin boom? if you need twins, why not just mount them on the wings? Second, if you mount the landing gear to the body rather than the wings, it will be stronger and lighter. If you want a wider tread, make a 1/4" ply outrigger and mount the gear to that.

It's a very nice design, don't get me wrong. Just wondering if you'd thought about these options.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:28 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,849 Posts
Yes, I would question the twin boom arrangement, simply because they are a pain to transport or to disassemble for transport.

Have a look at this thread, there have been various sizes built -

The Twins: multi purpose cargo plane
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:02 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
Take yer basic Senior Kadet wing, and go from there!
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/kadets.htm
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Trainer plane View Post
Vey nice CAD design and good design i general. Have you.....
Sorry for the scrutiny (probably spelt wrong) just been a long time since i've followed a scratch build haha.

Be sure to check out my Build
RC Trainer Plane
If you see in the upper left of the drawing I have the scale, about a 7 ft wingspan and all the drawings are to scale on that page. And yes it is my first scratch build.
Most likely it will be primarily balsa with CF reinforcements. We'd like to experiment with more CF and fibreglass, but that will be later on. About .40 sized electric engines, using the Snapshot as a guide, so something comparable.
And yes, we plan to test anything from dropping things, testing engines, to building techniques, and FPV (more on what we'll do with it later).
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh View Post
Why the twin boom? if you need twins, why not just mount them on the wings? Second, if you mount the landing gear to the body rather than the wings, it will be stronger and lighter. If you want a wider tread, make a 1/4" ply outrigger and mount the gear to that.

It's a very nice design, don't get me wrong. Just wondering if you'd thought about these options.
also I'll check your thread out after this (quite lengthy) reply
howell
about the landing gear- I just liked the way it looked there (a-la Q-400 and the like), I already have it worked out how they'll retract, but like you say I might just do gear like the C-17, C-130, etc. on the side of the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Yes, I would question the twin boom arrangement, simply because they are a pain to transport or to disassemble for transport.

Have a look at this thread, there have been various sizes built -

The Twins: multi purpose cargo plane
Nice thread, should be helpful.
About the booms- we plan on making this modular, what exactly that means I'm not sure yet until I start seriously drawing the structure up (next on my list). Basically it will be to where we can relatively easily remove the booms, outer wing section, etc and replace them with something else we want to test (new tail, different wing)
if we don't do that, the outer wing panels will at least be removable, and rear part of the boom, it shouldn't be too complicated, right? (could be wrong)
also I was inspired by the snapshot Twin ( http://www.modelaviation.com/images/.../shuttle-5.jpg I have a thread asking about that on RC groups also) and I felt the twin boom went best for dropping things and such. Basically I just really like that layout for one reason or another, so I'm willing for it to be a bit harder because of that. nothing is out of the question though...

Also I dont mind the criticism, jsut means y'all are trying to help, thanks
One question about construction: What about covering it with ripstop? I haven't heard much about using it for RC planes, seems like it'd be a good, durable material to use
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:51 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,849 Posts
'Durable' to me means extra weight and work, and is only required if you tend to crash through bushes, trees etc, or are very ham-fisted and the models suffer a lot of 'hangar rash'.

I use Depron foam, and just paint. (and that includes 67", 72" and 90" span models).

If you prefer a balsa build, then the usual heatshink films are quite adequate.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
I'd like to stay away from films, I have a couple mini ultra sticks, and they make me nervous, . I'm not a bad flyer or anything, just things happen (already have a couple of huge gashes on one wing from the person who gave them to me). Also things might bang against this when I drop stuff and such, so not sure how that'll hold up.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
ok update- as to take a relatively scientific approach to it I'm going to build a prototype of sorts (me an my friend are studying aerospace engineering, so good to get some practice in)
It will be only a couple feet wingspan, and a regular body/ tail layout most likely. It will be used to test different building methods and which have the best glide ratio, least weight, best G resistance, etc. and to get some experience in scratch building period. Deciding on if I should do free flight or 3ch (I have a couple destroyed micros laying around with good innards still)
Old May 09, 2012, 01:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
you sound like very clever guys . Do you have any photos of your prototype build so far ?? i'd be keen to see what i would look like in real life
Old May 09, 2012, 11:47 PM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pow-wow View Post
I'd like to stay away from films, I have a couple mini ultra sticks, and they make me nervous, . I'm not a bad flyer or anything, just things happen (already have a couple of huge gashes on one wing from the person who gave them to me). Also things might bang against this when I drop stuff and such, so not sure how that'll hold up.
It is easy to repair covering blemishes. I can smash a balsa plane and make it good as new.
Harder to hide repairs on painted foam structure IMO.
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old May 10, 2012, 05:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
I'm with Mike on this one I feel balsa can be fixed easier than foam. Most foams aren't built to be reapired.
Old May 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
oh, yes I will most likely do balsa rather than foam, I might test foam on the prototype just to keep an open mind per-say. One of my pet peeves is closed-mindedness, lol saying "oh it might not work so we won't even try". I know y'all aren't saying that, I'm just saying in general for other things...
RC Trainer plane, I haven't built it yet, going to draw the prototype up soon.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Jul 2009
175 Posts
ok update- school is done for now so Ill have more time, though doing a bit of summer classes.
I've decided because of money/ time constraints the larger plane most likely won't be built this summer, but I will be building a couple prototypes. I say prototypes, but they're fairly different from the above in how they look
alpha: http://i.imgur.com/6vINP.png
beta: http://i.imgur.com/RTr9w.png
the first one will be pretty small and is just to get my building techniques down, might be free flight or 3ch. The second wil be for testing a few things we'd use on the final model (as in the first post) The models don't look smooth because that's just the structure, and sketchup itsn't the best for making good round shapes. These will be made with balsa and/ or carbon fiber rods
I'll upload some drawings of the second prototype (first I thought up) later
oh and one thing that gets my idea across of how I'd like to build it If I used all CF rods, is the structure of Solar Impulse: http://www.solarimpulse.com/typo3tem...1d11efb9a1.jpg
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
683 Posts
Cool I have to revise for exams . But when that's done I'll be out flying hopefully with my trainer. Can't wait to see you project get under way