HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:43 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
You're also in WA -- You can have the batteries in just three days or so.

I've recently started getting Lipos from here http://www.haiyinstore.com

Do some research before you pull the trigger --- but I'm sure you'll be pleased. and the link is for 3300 mah that are 300 grams.
Thanks for the link, I'll check them out.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:59 PM
It only hurts when I crash!
Joined Feb 2012
61 Posts
4000mah lipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
Hi,

Anyone using Turnigy 4000mah, 40-50c batteries?

Mine just turned up here (still waiting for the Zephyr)

They're HUGE and heavy. Do these really fit in there okay?

Look up post #977 I was able to get in a 4000mah turnigy in there with no prob.
Chargedflyer is offline Find More Posts by Chargedflyer
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:55 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Well, after a really hard landing and breaking one of the carbon dowels on the leading edge, I decided to fix my wing. I glued the two halves together, put stiffeners in on the bottom trailing edge, made a balsa wood leading edge piece with new carbon dowels, sanded and fiber-glassed the center section with 3/4 oz cloth, sanded again, then painted and protected the paint with packing tape. Looks great and fly's the same way it did when new. I personally wished I had done this in the beginning.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Last edited by av8ersteve; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Nov 2010
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T.K.F View Post
Fellow Zephites..
I have some bitter sweet news for those who have the Realflight sim...

The bonny lads over on the knife edge designers corner ( jeffpn, oneder, boof69, just to mention a few. ), have been working tirelessly on the Zephyr V-70 model for near on 3 months now, and come up with a superb version for RF..

Yippee you say, that's the sweet bit... Now for the bitter..

Unfortunately they are in dispute with the makers of the swap pages regarding a substandard scoring system, and will NOT be uploading any models created until the issue is resolved.

For those of you who love to take advantage for the FREE service these lads provide, I urge you to log on, and with the link provided, post support for their cause and expedite the end of this dispute..

I for one are eagerly looking forward to trying out their handy work on the sim..

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28864
Please follow this LINK for any discussion on this issue. The thread R.T.K.F. directed you to is the formal address of our intentions to Knife edge software and we would prefer to keep it clear of discussion. Thanks to anyone who weighs in on this issue.
boof69 is offline Find More Posts by boof69
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
We would appreciate all the support we can get in our effort. Feel free to discuss the issue, make suggestions in the thread that Boof linked. To show support for the issue we've already mulled over and decided on, use the thread originally linked. http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28864. Again like Boof said, that thread is for support only. Us modelers have already weighed options and made our decision.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:26 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
3+ people for nearly 3 months? Bloody hell. That seems like a hell of a lot of work! I don't have RF (I have Phoenix).

Is the bulk of the time spent creating the visual model or testing and changing the flight parameters to accurately match the real plane?
As previously mentioned, lack of good reference materials can add to build time. The biggest factor for me personally is that I am a self-taught amateur modeler with about 2 years' experience. 2+ years ago, I knew nothing about the art of 3D modeling. I model in my spare time. I am not a professional modeler. Sometimes I only have a few minutes a day, with life getting in the way. I am not paid for this. This is a hobby for me.
Last edited by jeffpn; Sep 20, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,067 Posts
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:13 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
As previously mentioned, lack of good reference materials can add to build time. The biggest factor for me personally is that I am a self-taught amateur modeler with about 2 years' experience. 2+ years ago, I knew nothing about the art of 3D modeling. I model in my spare time. I am not a professional modeler. Sometimes I only have a few minutes a day, with life getting in the way. I am not paid for this. This is a hobby for me.
It's admirable that you take the time to do that and share it with the community. I work in video games and, on previous projects, modelled licensed cars for racing games. I know very well how hard it is to create accurate models with limited reference material. There's always a few directions that the thing looks best from and 90% of the pictures are from those angles.

Good luck with your cause. I hope they sort it out for you.
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Fortunately many RC planes are inspired by real world aircraft. Many of them have 3-views available that can be used.

Thanks for your well wishes.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:12 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Looks great and fly's the same way it did when new. I personally wished I had done this in the beginning.

Very nice work! Looks great

-Gary
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, VT, Colchester
Joined May 2011
98 Posts
Hatch needed

Does anybody have a spare canopy off of a crashed Zephyr they would be willing to part with? If yes please pm me.

Thanks
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Last edited by supertoyz; Oct 12, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:07 PM
Chief Crash Tester
Elizabethtown KY
Joined Jun 2009
22 Posts
I finally got my Zephyr in the air, and on the second flight, using a 3000 3s battery, I entered a steep dive. It wasn't until after I began the pull out thst my wings began the "funky chicken", and after level off, my aileron response was very minimal. After an uneventful landing, I found the right servo had dropped 3/4 of the way out of the wing, and would just rock back and forth rather that actuate the aileron, hence the reduced response.

Anyone else experience this? The servos have all been secured with hot glue, and the wing has been permanently glued to the fuselage now.

I've also Dremeled an opening in the hatch to promote better airflow, as the battery and speed control were rather warm after flight.

I'm also trying to figure out how HK can remotely call this thing a sailplane, as I fly sailplanes, and this thing is anything but......
gunner59 is offline Find More Posts by gunner59
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:38 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
288 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner59 View Post
After an uneventful landing, I found the right servo had dropped 3/4 of the way out of the wing, and would just rock back and forth rather that actuate the aileron, hence the reduced response.

Anyone else experience this? The servos have all been secured with hot glue, and the wing has been permanently glued to the fuselage now.

I've also Dremeled an opening in the hatch to promote better airflow, as the battery and speed control were rather warm after flight.

I'm also trying to figure out how HK can remotely call this thing a sailplane, as I fly sailplanes, and this thing is anything but......
Pretty sure gluing in all the servos is on the list of things you should do before flying this one. It has been discussed previously. Agree that HK probably should be gluing at factory, instead of just relying on the stickers to hold them on!

As to being a sailplane? I would also agree that while it certainly has some similarities, it is not a sailplane in the true sense of the word... Hard to catagorise as something else though? I would suggest that there is nothing else like her!
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:59 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
On the issue of wind flex, wonder if 3 or 5 mil laminating film would help

Besides the zippy compact 3S lipos, which other lipos are readily available from HK USA warehouse is a proper fit for this plane?

Might order one of these

Have Fun,

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:10 AM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
On the issue of wind flex, wonder if 3 or 5 mil laminating film would help

Besides the zippy compact 3S lipos, which other lipos are readily available from HK USA warehouse is a proper fit for this plane?

Might order one of these

Have Fun,

FCA

Here here Flame,
I also thought this might solve the issue when it first popped up, so I went to the time and effort to laminate both the top & bottom of the wings and was suitably impressed at how much stiffer it made them..
Unfortunately I haven't been able to test the result yet to say for sure, but if nothing else it protected the foam from the inevitable hanger rash..

Another mod - Having such a jammed packed nose with the potential of overpowering the magnets (I would hate to see its guts come out when inverted), I also Installed a canopy catch just to be on the safe side.
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F