HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:42 AM
Kelowna
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
I run a 4000 mah 3S Zippy compact fits in there no problem and gives me lots of flight time
around 15 minutes depending on how aggressive I fly , it's a fun airplane very acrobatic , and fast , I also added a EDF thrust tube (tailored coffee cup ) this gives be about 25% more speed and it makes it easier to launch. And the EDF sound is great . (=
gladiatoro is offline Find More Posts by gladiatoro
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:32 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
I just ordered my Zephyr from the US ware house, going to go pick it up tomorrow! I love living near the ware house!

I also picked up some wing skids so I can add that mod first thing before the maiden. I still need to read back through this thread to see what other modifications I should do. From what I read, doesn't look like I will need to do much at all. I'm not going to worry about modding it so that I can get it to go faster, I think the speed that I will get from stock setup will work fine for me. I'm just looking for a park flyer that will get me some easy flights. I have other models for the extreme fancy stuff.

Woot! Can't wait until tomorrow!
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Last edited by seahawk1984; Sep 18, 2012 at 02:38 AM. Reason: fixed spelling errors
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:24 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
I just ordered my Zephyr from the US ware house, going to go pick it up tomorrow! I love living near the ware house!

I also picked up some wing skids so I can add that mod first thing before the maiden. I still need to read back through this thread to see what other modifications I should do. From what I read, doesn't look like I will need to do much at all. I'm not going to worry about modding it so that I can get it to go faster, I think the speed that I will get from stock setup will work fine for me. I'm just looking for a park flyer that will get me some easy flights. I have other models for the extreme fancy stuff.

Woot! Can't wait until tomorrow!
I would advise running some tape across the wing joint to strengthen the joint and share the load across the front mount. Also run a piece of cloth tape over the front mount so grass cant jam in there causing a separation. Try and maiden in a light wind, as "no wind" conditions will result in hot and long landing. A breeze will help slow down the landing nicely.

Mick

Its a fun aircraft, enjoy
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:27 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Hi,

Anyone using Turnigy 4000mah, 40-50c batteries?

Mine just turned up here (still waiting for the Zephyr)

They're HUGE and heavy. Do these really fit in there okay?
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:54 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,786 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoxache View Post
Hi,

Anyone using Turnigy 4000mah, 40-50c batteries?

Mine just turned up here (still waiting for the Zephyr)

They're HUGE and heavy. Do these really fit in there okay?
That Turnigy is not considered a "compact" battery. 4000 mah may be a very tight fit if you can get it in at all. Some foam renovations may be required. Remember, you've got an ESC and RX to fit in there as well unless you do further renovations to put those elsewhere.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
That Turnigy is not considered a "compact" battery. 4000 mah may be a very tight fit if you can get it in at all. Some foam renovations may be required. Remember, you've got an ESC and RX to fit in there as well unless you do further renovations to put those elsewhere.
Cheers xviper, looks like I've got some trimming to do. Do you reckon the weight will cause much problem? It's 372 grams.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:43 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,786 Posts
Quote:
Cheers xviper, looks like I've got some trimming to do. Do you reckon the weight will cause much problem? It's 372 grams.
The 3300 Turnigy 3s I'm using weighs 300 grams with the ESC mounted along side and the RX on top at the rear of the battery compartment and the plane is just about right for balance. Check yours before flying. You may need to add some weight to the tail.
If you do have everything in the same compartment, use a RX with an longer antenna that you can run to the outside of the compartment (but secure it so it doesn't get sucked into the fan). The battery and ESC being so close could cause reception problems due to interference.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:45 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
The 3300 Turnigy 3s I'm using weighs 300 grams with the ESC mounted along side and the RX on top at the rear of the battery compartment and the plane is just about right for balance. Check yours before flying. You may need to add some weight to the tail.
If you do have everything in the same compartment, use a RX with an longer antenna that you can run to the outside of the compartment (but secure it so it doesn't get sucked into the fan). The battery and ESC being so close could cause reception problems due to interference.
Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it. As the CoG is closer to the nose than tail it shouldn't take much to balance out the extra 72 grams.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:49 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,786 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your help! Really appreciate it. As the CoG is closer to the nose than tail it shouldn't take much to balance out the extra 72 grams.
Quite right. The fulcrum is very lopsided on this plane. Mind you, it may also depend on what type of glue you use. I used hot glue to put the tail together and that's a bit heavier than other glues.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
322 Posts
Realflight Zephyr V-70

Fellow Zephites..
I have some bitter sweet news for those who have the Realflight sim...

The bonny lads over on the knife edge designers corner ( jeffpn, oneder, boof69, just to mention a few. ), have been working tirelessly on the Zephyr V-70 model for near on 3 months now, and come up with a superb version for RF..

Yippee you say, that's the sweet bit... Now for the bitter..

Unfortunately they are in dispute with the makers of the swap pages regarding a substandard scoring system, and will NOT be uploading any models created until the issue is resolved.

For those of you who love to take advantage for the FREE service these lads provide, I urge you to log on, and with the link provided, post support for their cause and expedite the end of this dispute..

I for one are eagerly looking forward to trying out their handy work on the sim..

http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28864
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:58 PM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T.K.F View Post
The bonny lads over on the knife edge designers corner ( jeffpn, oneder, boof69, just to mention a few. ), have been working tirelessly on the Zephyr V-70 model for near on 3 months now, and come up with a superb version for RF.
3+ people for nearly 3 months? Bloody hell. That seems like a hell of a lot of work! I don't have RF (I have Phoenix).

Is the bulk of the time spent creating the visual model or testing and changing the flight parameters to accurately match the real plane?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:55 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
322 Posts
Generally most of the time these guys don't have the actual model as a reference, so it takes a swag of emails for info to and fro with someone who has the kit..
A 3D 1/2 scan of the fuselage was sent as a guide to help speed things up.

It should be cool the see how if fly's compared to the real thing.. If the PA Addiction & Addiction X are any example, it should be real close..
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:53 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
I just did the maiden on my Zephyr, and I loved it! Though takeoffs are a little squirly. Gotta be quick to get the sticks! I think tomorrow I may work on setting up spoilers on it, but as many of you have said, it likes to land fast when there is no wind to help slow it down.

I also figured out how to get my 4S 2800mah 30C E-flite batteries to fit, and it helps with the CoG a little. Guys at the field freaked out when they saw how much weight I had to add.. "Dude! You got way to much weight in the front of that!", they shut up when I showed them the CoG without it! LOL.

The question I have is, has anyone come across cooling problems running a 4S battery? There really isn't much for cooling ducts, and then we have to stuff everything into that little compartment, doesn't seem to me that there would be much airflow?!

And anyone know who makes the ESC? The ESC really looks like a good quality ESC!

And one last question, anyone try a fan that has more blades? A friend of mine put an 11 blade fan on his F-18 70mm EDF, and that thing sounds like a real jet! Just wondering what kind of load to expect on the motor and ESC with a fan with more blades.

With regards to running a 4S battery, I'm aware of the problem with the fluttering wings at higher speeds, so any advice would be appreciated. And I will continue to read back through this thread as well.

Thanks all!
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
I also figured out how to get my 4S 2800mah 30C E-flite batteries to fit, and it helps with the CoG a little. Guys at the field freaked out when they saw how much weight I had to add.. "Dude! You got way to much weight in the front of that!", they shut up when I showed them the CoG without it! LOL.
After reading some more of this thread, I decided to stick with the 3S batteries, unfortunatly HK is out of the 3S Zippy Compacts... hmmm, wounder why..
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:19 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,720 Posts
Quote:
After reading some more of this thread, I decided to stick with the 3S batteries, unfortunatly HK is out of the 3S Zippy Compacts... hmmm, wounder why..
You're also in WA -- You can have the batteries in just three days or so.

I've recently started getting Lipos from here http://www.haiyinstore.com

Do some research before you pull the trigger --- but I'm sure you'll be pleased. and the link is for 3300 mah that are 300 grams.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page