HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:11 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Here are the esc instructions that came with my Zephyr:
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Last edited by av8ersteve; Sep 05, 2012 at 07:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:56 AM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Jan 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanpekin View Post
My friend uses a thrust tube which really helps, do you use one?
No I don't. Thrust tube will help a little for high speed. However, since there is enough thrust regardless at 6S, it is indifferent if one is installed because I am hitting a structural limit far sooner. The problem is the flutter tendency of the too flexible airframe.
karoliinasalmin is offline Find More Posts by karoliinasalmin
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:58 AM
Russian Federation, Moscow
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Here are the esc instructions that came with my Zephyr:
Stock ESC can be programmed with HobbyKing BlueSeries programming card.
LonelyDragon is offline Find More Posts by LonelyDragon
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
I added a couple of these on the bottom about where the aileron servos are. Seems to work. About $2 for 10 from HK. They have 3 sizes.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8702
Are they to be placed under the wings?
starfighter1956 is offline Find More Posts by starfighter1956
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:46 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter1956 View Post
Yes
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:08 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,779 Posts
As noted below - yes. They aren't really there as skids (although that is what they do) but as spacers in the case of the Zephyr.

The idea is that you are lifting the big flat surface area of the wing just enough so that it doesn't actually contact the ground when it glides in. The force of friction is the friction coefficient times the contact area. That's why the wings get ripped off even in a reasonably mild bad landing. The turning force of one huge wing surface contacting the ground is more than the little locating pegs and their plastic holder can cope with. If you can minimise the contact area, the force goes way down.

It won't do anything for an impact force though.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter1956 View Post
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Last edited by jj604; Sep 06, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:00 AM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Thanks Av8ersteve

Thank you for posting the ESC instructions.

Other than setting the Throttle min and max endpoints did you have to change any other settings?

I believe I have read that others have not had to change any other settings.
The manaul does not indicate what the default settings are or it was set for the Zephyr as it came in the box.
bryont is offline Find More Posts by bryont
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:31 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryont View Post
Thank you for posting the ESC instructions.

Other than setting the Throttle min and max endpoints did you have to change any other settings?

I believe I have read that others have not had to change any other settings.
The manaul does not indicate what the default settings are or it was set for the Zephyr as it came in the box.
I don't know what the default setting are, so I did go through and set it up the way I wanted it. Threshold, cutoff, that sort of thing.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:56 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,067 Posts
Yet another video

Hey guys,
A buddy gave me his cheapie 808 Keychain cam. Thought I'd take it up for a spin. I mounted the camara just behind the screw that holds down the top of the motor cowl. Just so happens that it's tilted up a couple degrees.
Zephyr V 70 (4 min 58 sec)

P.S. I could have floated around a lot longer, but that would make a boring video even more boring
V 70 El Dorado Land (0 min 13 sec)

Tried to get some video from the ground with the cam mounted on my visor. Had it down too far on my eyes to block the sun. Most of it out of frame, but you get the idea.
Kevin
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Last edited by kmdunnster; Sep 10, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
dear all i need to ask can i use 4c 3600mAh lipo with the ESC: 55A w/BEC and motor that coming with it ?
elshemerly is offline Find More Posts by elshemerly
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Norge, Buskerud, Kongsberg
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
dear all i need to ask can i use 4c 3600mAh lipo with the ESC: 55A w/BEC and motor that coming with it ?
Most people seem to be very dubious to the stock ESC, and especially on 4S. Its probably best to upgrade it a bit if you want to increase to 4S.
leifning is offline Find More Posts by leifning
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
My impression is that it's NOT an issue to do with the ESC being able to handle 4s. It's just that 4s will propel the V70 to speeds that compromise the integrity of the wings. It'll start flapping the funky chicken.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
My impression is that it's NOT an issue to do with the ESC being able to handle 4s. It's just that 4s will propel the V70 to speeds that compromise the integrity of the wings. It'll start flapping the funky chicken.
but i will not got for full throttle but this is to avoid the short fly timing also the tail heavy issue dose adding 4c will burn the ESC and motor
elshemerly is offline Find More Posts by elshemerly
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elshemerly View Post
but i will not got for full throttle but this is to avoid the short fly timing also the tail heavy issue dose adding 4c will burn the ESC and motor
Balance will depend on the size (mah) of the battery you use (3s, 4s, doesn't matter). The stock recommended battery (3s, 3300 mah) balances the plane perfectly and is already a tight fit. Going higher mah will make it nose heavy.
Search this thread. There's a couple of guys who have routinely run 4s without other mods and seem to do fine and not burn anything out. If you don't go full throttle, you won't overtax the ESC and motor anyway.
I have an X8 wing that runs perfectly on 3s. When I put in 4s batteries, the motor and ESC get extremely hot, so I just don't go full throttle hardly at all when I use 4s on it. You can do the same with the V70. I don't use 4s on it routinely, only when I run out of my 3s batteries at the flying field.
Personally, I've used a 4s, 2650 mah battery in the V70 and I couldn't detect any real difference in the way it performed. It didn't seem to go significantly faster.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
do you have a watt meter or access to one?
at full throttle you should be pulling approx 45A
My watt meter showed 55A at full throttle using a nano tech 65-130C 3300mAh 3s.

Using a 60A plush esc.

It is screaming very loud at the sky!!!!!!

I recommend owners to threadlock the screw on motor`s shaft. Mine came loose.

Sweet!
pilotonovato is offline Find More Posts by pilotonovato