SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:22 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Thanks for all the advice on "Flaps Up" guys. I'm going to get some extensions and set it up. I maiden yesterday and all went well. I LOVE the way this thing sounds just wished it lasted longer. I did get "wing flappage" one time during a high speed dive. Didn't think I would have to worry about that due to I'm flying with a TP 3s 3300 battery but oh well. I noticed on this battery that it can be charged at 8C. How do I safely do this? That would cut charging time in Half. Does it damage the battery doing this? I have never herd of charging at more than 1C the battery (ie 3300 mah = 3.3 charger rate). Is this even possible?

Also, nice flight pilotonovato.
It really depends on your charger. The most common charges will do 6 amps but on a 3S battery they can only handle around 4.4 amps so you would be limited to 1.5C charging rate a 6amp charger.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
Help Please! Still not enough thrust to get my glider to fly

I watched some other Yout tube video's of the V-70 and it seems EDF motor in the Video has a much high throttle than mine.

My motor seems to be running well and I am using a 3300 mah hour battery suggested at Hobby king. It's a very tight fit and you have to put the battery in sideways, and speed controller on the side

As suggested I turned the transmitter stick on with the Throttle high then after the two beeps set it to low.

Thought that would help but it did not.

Does anybody know of a location for or have the ESC intructions?

I am using a DX8 radio. The Throttle was set at -100% low and +100% high?
Thought I would try setting MIN and MAX ESC wtih the Radio's Throttle channel set to -150% to +150%

Any other idea's?
With the ESC programming am I setting the MIN and MAX throttle correctly?

Thanks for any suggestions.
bryont is offline Find More Posts by bryont
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
800 Posts
do you have a watt meter or access to one?
at full throttle you should be pulling approx 45A
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:59 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
bryont, I will bring my esc instruction with me to work tomorrow and scan them. I will then post it here so you will have.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Sep 04, 2012, 02:10 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,306 Posts
the ESC instructions should have come with the plane. Its very small and I nearly tossed it by accident.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
157 Posts
I am using a DX8 radio. The Throttle was set at -100% low and +100% high?
Thought I would try setting MIN and MAX ESC wtih the Radio's Throttle channel set to -150% to +150%

The 150% is what increased the rpm back when I had this same problem.
banjo328 is offline Find More Posts by banjo328
Old Sep 04, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Hallo,
I had a problem with the first landing.
Because of the fact that the fuselage is above the wing the zephyr can not slip as good normal hotliners.
So on the gras it stopped apruptly and the right wing released from its anterior fixing nipple.
Is there any way to improve the slip properties on grass?
starfighter1956 is offline Find More Posts by starfighter1956
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:13 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,389 Posts
I added a couple of these on the bottom about where the aileron servos are. Seems to work. About $2 for 10 from HK. They have 3 sizes.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8702

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter1956 View Post
Hallo,
I had a problem with the first landing.
Because of the fact that the fuselage is above the wing the zephyr can not slip as good normal hotliners.
So on the gras it stopped apruptly and the right wing released from its anterior fixing nipple.
Is there any way to improve the slip properties on grass?
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:58 PM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
I added a couple of these on the bottom about where the aileron servos are. Seems to work. About $2 for 10 from HK. They have 3 sizes.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8702
Yep, I'm running these as well. Home field is a salt lake. So very abrasive. I trimmed off the spikes and just hot glued them. Have survived 30+ landings so far.
GavDorro is online now Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,586 Posts
If you don't want to wait for shipping; one can make skids out of just about anything. Plastic cutlery is just about ideal for smaller skids and I use the cardboard from pop cases covered with fiberglass cloth for bigger ones. Another favorite is to just use half of a large servo wheel.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Dec 2006
23 Posts
I might have lost the ESC instructions. Would be nice if somebody or HobbyKing would put it in the Files section. I tested the AMPS with my Watt meter. It was only reading between 35-37A at Full Throttle.
bryont is offline Find More Posts by bryont
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:45 PM
GBX
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
337 Posts
Took it out for Two flights yesterday First flight near the end of the flight the speed control would only give me Half throttle when it came in the ESC was very Hot For the next flight I drilled two holes in the Canopy no problems and ESC cooler Still think I will do the Mod where you make a cut out for the heat sink and mount on the canopy .

Today I keep thinking of how cool this plane is to fly
Wishing for a unlimited battery This plane is fast even with no power !!

Worth repeating do not force the plane to the ground both landings have been blind just let it bleed off speed and drop on its own /No damage just a long walk to the plane
GBX is offline Find More Posts by GBX
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:15 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
699 Posts
Great pictures GBX!!

I maidened my Zephyr this weekend and I liked it. I am flying a 3S 4400 20C Sky Lipo battery and this seems to give me good CG without the need of a ballast. I have to place the ESC over the battery though since there is no space on the battery's side for it.

Unfortunately I had a mishap yesterday. On my last flight I was flying inverted at about 100 ft high and the canopy popped off. The battery got disconnected and fell like a rock and I just watched as the Zephyr spiraled down without being able to do anything about it. After a 20 min search with my flying field buddies we found the canopy and the battery. Damage is ok, just a few scratches and a broken wing support where the screws bolt in. I'm gluing it with white Gorilla Glue and it should be good to go. I'm going to add some velcro to make sure the battery/ESC are held good.
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:58 AM
Finland, Espoo
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
I have started to use 6S batteries on my Zephyr, currently with the stock fan. I have tried everything from 3S up. 3S was too lousy. 4S is enough to make the wings to flutter but not that good for super steep climbs. But 6S has enough flying time and nice power in climb. I am using 2650 mAh 6S Turnigy Nanotech. Works nicely. Launch at less than half throttle to not burn the motor. It is very hard to not burn the motor usually with the over powered EDF systems but with Zephyr it is a bit easier because it has high aspect ratio which means more weight does not require much more angle of attack to compensate for the added weight (unlike jets with stubby wings do). I am thinking of replacing the stock fan with RC-lander. Already replaced my Multiplex Twister's fan to 72 mm RC-lander and it has been fine with 6S power (over kilowatt) ever since. Much more fun than with the original lousy power.

Now that if I could make the wings of Zephyr flex less (and not flutter), it could be quite awesome at kilowatt power. I am kinda bored to slow planes.
karoliinasalmin is offline Find More Posts by karoliinasalmin
Old Sep 05, 2012, 02:25 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karoliinasalmin View Post
I have started to use 6S batteries on my Zephyr, currently with the stock fan. I have tried everything from 3S up. 3S was too lousy. 4S is enough to make the wings to flutter but not that good for super steep climbs. But 6S has enough flying time and nice power in climb. I am using 2650 mAh 6S Turnigy Nanotech. Works nicely. Launch at less than half throttle to not burn the motor. It is very hard to not burn the motor usually with the over powered EDF systems but with Zephyr it is a bit easier because it has high aspect ratio which means more weight does not require much more angle of attack to compensate for the added weight (unlike jets with stubby wings do). I am thinking of replacing the stock fan with RC-lander. Already replaced my Multiplex Twister's fan to 72 mm RC-lander and it has been fine with 6S power (over kilowatt) ever since. Much more fun than with the original lousy power.

Now that if I could make the wings of Zephyr flex less (and not flutter), it could be quite awesome at kilowatt power. I am kinda bored to slow planes.
My friend uses a thrust tube which really helps, do you use one?
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2