HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:25 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Has anyone ever tried reverse flaps on this thing during landing. You know, both ailerons up as in crow mode but without the flaps. If set up properly, you would still have roll control with ailerons. You would have to mix in down elevator but it could all be controlled with one flip of a switch. Any thoughts???
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:11 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Has anyone ever tried reverse flaps on this thing during landing. You know, both ailerons up as in crow mode but without the flaps. If set up properly, you would still have roll control with ailerons. You would have to mix in down elevator but it could all be controlled with one flip of a switch. Any thoughts???
I tried it once, at altitude. It dropped like a rock and the speed on landing would have been even greater, it seemed to me, so I didn't try any actual landings in that mode. Trying to slow it down significantly for landing is dangerous. That wing needs to keep moving to prevent tip stalls. I dealt with the landing speed problem by adding a single strut landing gear and small wheel and always land on pavement/hard surface. It rolls out with no drama.
banjo328 is offline Find More Posts by banjo328
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:31 PM
GBX
Illinois
Joined Jan 2005
334 Posts
What size New Stuff did you put on the wings?.

I used 3 mil
GBX is offline Find More Posts by GBX
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:28 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,039 Posts
Quote:
I believe your'e talking about spoilerons. I tried them about a month ago, makes the airplane drop like a stone. I use a little camber(which is basically flaperons, just dialed back.) It slows the plane down and also gives a little extra lift. Doesn't turn it into a floater, but.... I've had flights towards the end, just gain a bunch of altitude and thermal for 1/2 an hour.
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:10 PM
United States, WA, Bellevue
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Help witth Glider

I tried to fly my Zephyr V-70 today. Totally under powered on 3S 3000 mah batteries and would not fly. I was sure the EDF was turing the correct way. Any suggestions on what to check for? Maybe I didn't set the Max and Min Throttle on the ESC? Does anybody have the link to the ESC manaul?

Thanks
bryont is offline Find More Posts by bryont
Last edited by bryont; Sep 02, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:21 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryont View Post
I tried to fly my Zephyr V-70 today. Totally uner powered on 3S 3000 mah batteries. I was sure the EDF was turing the correct way. Any suggestions on what to check for?

Thanks
Did you bind it with the throttle trim at minimum? Did you do the throttle calibration so the ESC knows full throttle and zero throttle?
As for being sure the EDF was turning the "correct way", that's a no brainer. Which way did the air come out?
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:23 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryont View Post
I tried to fly my Zephyr V-70 today. Totally uner powered on 3S 3000 mah batteries.
Thanks
Also.....Battery quality and C rating are a factor. Should be at least 30C
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Battery type

I was using Turnigy Nano tech 3,300 mah batteries 25-50C Discharge is what it says.

Any instructions for the ESC programming?
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:37 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,151 Posts
You know what the beeps sound like when you initialize the ESC. Now disconnect the flight battery, move the throttle to max on the TX, plug in the flight battery and after you hear the initialization beeps, pull the throttle stick to minimum. The ESC should now know what zero and max throttle is.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:02 AM
Joined Aug 2011
89 Posts
maiden flight!!!!! )))))

Durafly Zephyr V70 (3 min 50 sec)

Cheerz!
pilotonovato is offline Find More Posts by pilotonovato
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:05 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,244 Posts
Nice flying... interesting location for flying.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
89 Posts
thanks hendrnk. It is in south of Brazil.
pilotonovato is offline Find More Posts by pilotonovato
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Dec 2006
22 Posts
Thanks for the help. I believe this may have fixed things, I had set the plane up a month ago I don't remember setting the Min and Max throttle. I just set the Max and Min Throttle and I seem to have much greater thrust at Max throttle now. Will see what happens when I try and fly it again.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
HUDDINGE, Sweden
Joined Sep 2003
41 Posts
Quote:
I have tried ailerons as normal flaps or as spoilerons (both up). I find that the spoileron variant is the best and easiest way for the landing. Good sink, more stable flight, reasonably low speed. It has become standard procedure for me for gliders without separate flaps (in that case I use crow), also for the Zephyr V70.

Cheers,
Anders
HUDDINGE, Sweden
SkyBug is offline Find More Posts by SkyBug
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:14 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Thanks for all the advice on "Flaps Up" guys. I'm going to get some extensions and set it up. I maiden yesterday and all went well. I LOVE the way this thing sounds just wished it lasted longer. I did get "wing flappage" one time during a high speed dive. Didn't think I would have to worry about that due to I'm flying with a TP 3s 3300 battery but oh well. I noticed on this battery that it can be charged at 8C. How do I safely do this? That would cut charging time in Half. Does it damage the battery doing this? I have never herd of charging at more than 1C the battery (ie 3300 mah = 3.3 charger rate). Is this even possible?

Also, nice flight pilotonovato.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve