HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Just because something looks like a jet doesnt mean it will be faster than something that looks like a glider. The fastest RC planes in the world are actually gliders. I would bet the Zephyr has the potential to be a supremely fast model.
Of course it doesn't. However, you're talking in generalities. I'm talking strictly a direct comparison between a stock Habu and a stock V70. That's what the question was. I know the gliders you speak of. These are the ones that are unpowered and launched from the top of a hill where the wind accelerates because of the hill. Those things are capable of hundreds of kms per hour. Again, I wasn't talking about what could be or jets in general vs gliders in general, only a Habu and a V70, both stock. I also know that a V70 has the "potential" for becoming a supremely fast model. That would be a sucker bet. Again, that wasn't the question. We were talking about comparing two specific planes based on what they came with, no more, no less.

BTW, even though the V70 is back ordered, I just bought one anyway. Hopefully, they'll fill paid orders first as stock arrives.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:59 PM
Once you taste flight...
United States, VA, Fort Belvoir
Joined Dec 2011
2,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Of course it doesn't. However, you're talking in generalities. I'm talking strictly a direct comparison between a stock Habu and a stock V70. That's what the question was. I know the gliders you speak of. These are the ones that are unpowered and launched from the top of a hill where the wind accelerates because of the hill. Those things are capable of hundreds of kms per hour. Again, I wasn't talking about what could be or jets in general vs gliders in general, only a Habu and a V70, both stock. I also know that a V70 has the "potential" for becoming a supremely fast model. That would be a sucker bet. Again, that wasn't the question. We were talking about comparing two specific planes based on what they came with, no more, no less.

BTW, even though the V70 is back ordered, I just bought one anyway. Hopefully, they'll fill paid orders first as stock arrives.
LOL dynamic soaring, about to start dipping my toes in that pool, looks fun but hard, and lots of $$. I have a Blaze on the way, and waiting on reviews from the V70. Debating on a few planes for the next one, and I somehow doubt that the next one will be another foamy, but who knows... If it is it would have to be faster than a Blizzard, because if I do get a foamy next it would be the Blizzard, unless the V70 is better.
skydvejam is offline Find More Posts by skydvejam
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I dunno, the Habu flies on 4S and is much more streamlined. The V70 flies on 3S and is a sailplane. I think you need more "HP" to make a shape like a sailplane go quicker or faster than a shape like a "jet".
My personal opinion is that all things being equal, by that I mean battery, fan, motor etc etc the Zephyr will be faster. Cant wait to get one and start experimenting. Anyone who ordered one of these already have a Habu?
Something I just realised is that we will be able to experiment with many different fan/motor combos without having to slice up the model to get access to the fan.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:35 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
I don't have a Habu but there is a Habu 32 in the group I fly with. It's pretty fast and I've seen stock Habus and they're not quite as fast but still fast. I think about my Durafly Vampire and compare the specs of it vs the V70 and I predict the V70 will not be as fast as the Vamp simply because of 4s vs 3S with fairly close powertrains. My Vampire is not as fast as the Habus I've seen fly.
As far as experimenting is concerned, you can make a brick go ballistic if you put enough juice into it. Remember the "old" VW Beetle? Remember the "old" Chrysler 426 Hemi with dual quads? Put the Hemi into the Beetle and you have a pretty mind blowing machine. We had one running around our streets back in the 70's. Anything's possible. But sometimes a monster can also be a freak.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:44 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Vampire is 2700kv on 4s and the V70 is 3300kv on 3s. Will be close. Vampire is a very draggy airframe. V70 looks very slick. Let the games begin.

Ps I love freaks. My 1500 watt Funjet is pretty freaky.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:50 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Ozzie for balancing to start with could you loosen the impeller and rotate it small amount say in a clockwise direction (marking your start point) tighten and feel if the vibration is less or more continue until you get the smoothest point, which should start to balance motor and impeller together and then use the tape method to see if you get any improvement.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
I'm wondering if the V70 could be operated on 4S with no other changes. Would it fry anything?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:54 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
Ozzie for balancing to start with could you loosen the impeller and rotate it small amount say in a clockwise direction (marking your start point) tighten and feel if the vibration is less or more continue until you get the smoothest point, which should start to balance motor and impeller together and then use the tape method to see if you get any improvement.

Shaun.
Good point Shaun. I totally forgot about that method. I've done that and its worked as well.

xviper, I would be very hesitant running this thing on 4S with the included ESC. If I did decide to do it I would at least add an external UBEC just in case the worst happened then I at least would still have power to my control surfaces to land. Cheap insurance. I would also probably run it up with my watt meter before hand to see what kind of figures we are looking at.

Dang- all this talk now has me wishing I'd ordered one
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:07 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,431 Posts
Quote:
Dang- all this talk now has me wishing I'd ordered one
haha you and many others i sat here with my finger hovering over the "continue" button but i just couldn't as i am just not financial enough at the moment to lash out o'h well i have a feeling if this first batch come back with good reports this Glider will be around for a long while
I will be getting one sooner or later, i hope the sooner comes first

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:16 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Thats classic Chuck hahahaha
I was in exactly the same position. As a matter of fact, my mate and I were on the phone to each other just as it was listed and we were trying to decide whether we would or wouldnt. Lets just say I've started saving for it.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:18 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Good point Shaun. I totally forgot about that method. I've done that and its worked as well.

xviper, I would be very hesitant running this thing on 4S with the included ESC.
My het 2w-20 70mm set up that I got from Extreme RC on 4s runs at 59 amp but I do run a 80 amp esc with that one, I get 3-4 minutes flight time on a 2700 mah Nano and boy does it run hot and work the batteries hard.

Shaun.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 01:39 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Nice. I have the same setup in my Mig15 and its a beauty. That would Haul A$$ in the Zephyr I reckon. When i get mine I have a spare wemotec fiberglass thrust tube which I will be fitting. Efflux will be crazy fast. Just wondering how the tail will handle being pummeled by so much thrust.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:05 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Quote:
Congrats on pushing the envelope Scott. Always good to see something new and interesting.
Just because something looks like a jet doesnt mean it will be faster than something that looks like a glider. The fastest RC planes in the world are actually gliders. I would bet the Zephyr has the potential to be a supremely fast model. Just wondering though why the 3S power system. If it can take a 4000 3S lipo then surely a 3000 4S lipo shouldnt be problem. A 3300kv motor is right in the sweet KV range for a 70mm fan when running on 4S. The lipo wont weigh more so should not affect the models 'balance'. The thing you have to know about EDF's is that they are terribly inefficient. You need double the power of an equivalent prop plane. I eagerly await flight reports as I couldnt get in on this first batch. I gave up reading the discussion on the HK site. There are people there who obviously know nothing about either gliders or EDF's and seem to be caught up in the hype. One of these will be making its way into my hangar as soon as possible. Too cool not to. Any word on when a kit will be available?
Very simple, as I said in the video.....I didn't like 4s....it upset the balance of the airframe. The Zephyr responds well to small changes in C of G, it's all about flying styles, if you are simply looking for speed......maybe 4s, however, the airframe is very slippery compared to the usual EDF jet...hence it requires relatively little power to achive good speed, but the larger 4s pack counters that speed by reducing the vertical performance and certainly hurting the aerobatic performance (look at pack weights, a 3300mAh 4s is very heavy compared to the only 4000mAh pack we reccomended for it, which is the Zippy Compact).......put simply, 3s gave the best overall balance as I said in the video, of speed/aerobatics/flight time, this is a model that will be flown in many different ways, which is exactly what we wanted to achieve, owners will need to fly it most likely before they really understand what I am talking about, it is very responsive to changes, allowing the pilot to get exactly what they want from it...if we went 4s....all that would be gone....the flight envelope would be reduced and so would the V70's appeal.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Last edited by Scott Cuppello; Jun 16, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:57 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Hello guys and girls. Just subscribed.
Ii haven't got this plane yet but intent to on the next batch.
My first comments and observations is that this plane looks really good out of the box with all the carbon reinforcements and everything. With my experience I can say that this plane is 4s ready out of the box. As long as the motor can take it that is.
I don't really think it's 500 watts unless the motor claimed kv is off by 400kv or so.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:49 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Hey Pav welcome aboard, how is your Vampire going? great I hope like mine

Shaun.