HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:02 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
So the fact I had 70% rudder mixed into aileron could be why it nosed over both times in turns?
Wow. Yeah that would do it. The mix I had set was I think 20%, and the nose still wanted to drop. No mix is the best way to go in the Zephyr. If you want rudder, just use your left thumb.
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:24 AM
Thermal Hunter
United States, PA, Phoenixville
Joined Jan 2005
332 Posts
Quote:
So the fact I had 70% rudder mixed into aileron could be why it nosed over both times in turns?
You can also mix in V-tail Differential to stop the pitching (nose dropping
or nose lifting in a V-tail rudder turn)
jnoel is online now Find More Posts by jnoel
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:29 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnoel View Post
I have mine setup that way with 50% elevator. Too bad I never use it lol
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Aug 15, 2012, 04:37 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,058 Posts
Quote:
I guess. I have an Airtronics SD-10G and there's 40 pages of glider programming alone. There's almost an unlimited number of mixes/curves/ you name it you can put in. I guess is just boils down to how much time and energy you want to put into the thing.
Kev
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdunnster View Post
I guess. I have an Airtronics SD-10G and there's 40 pages of glider programming alone. There's almost an unlimited number of mixes/curves/ you name it you can put in. I guess is just boils down to how much time and energy you want to put into the thing.
Kev

Yep that's why I've been flying planes lately. Takes too long to program a heli
. Going back to flying them for a while after I'm done w the zephyr
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thermal Hunter
United States, PA, Phoenixville
Joined Jan 2005
332 Posts
???

Hey guys...
Can Regular CA be used with the foam on the Zephyr ?
Or is a epoxy mix the better choice ?

Thanks J
jnoel is online now Find More Posts by jnoel
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:54 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,058 Posts
Gorilla Glue

You can use regular CA, or Epoxy on the Z. If you look back through this thread, Gorilla Glue is mentioned numerous times. I glued the wing onto the fuselage using G.G. about a month ago after the wing bolts ripped out for the 3rd time. Rock solid after 75+ flights.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:13 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys...
Can Regular CA be used with the foam on the Zephyr ?
Or is a epoxy mix the better choice ?

Thanks J
What ever you use take time to prep the surfaces you plan to glue. My Zephyr tipped a wing on a failed launch yesterday arvo and did the usual damage to the front and rear wing mounts. I noticed when I was prepping the surfaces that the old epoxy pealed away quite easily, and never took any foam with it in the separation. Not a good sign. So this time I cleaned, then scratched up the surfaces before gluing again. I'm giving the Gorilla CA a shot this time around. At the end of the day though I think both the front and rear mount design is weak, so best not crash

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
What ever you use take time to prep the surfaces you plan to glue. My Zephyr tipped a wing on a failed launch yesterday arvo and did the usual damage to the front and rear wing mounts. I noticed when I was prepping the surfaces that the old epoxy pealed away quite easily, and never took any foam with it in the separation. Not a good sign. So this time I cleaned, then scratched up the surfaces before gluing again. I'm giving the Gorilla CA a shot this time around. At the end of the day though I think both the front and rear mount design is weak, so best not crash

Mick
Or "land"... in some cases.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,673 Posts
I concur with Bravo47. Regardless of glue and foam combination one needs to prep the surface and make sure to totally remove the layer with the silicone mold release agents. I think that just about anything that won't melt a given foam will stick if the silicone is completely removed. However, I have found that a careful cleaning/sanding/cleaning with about 320 grit is a bit more effective than "scratching it up" though the principle is the same.

Once that thin layer is gone is when you scratch it up with some heavier grit to get a better physical bond. Obviously, the same applies to paint as I learned the hard way!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:36 AM
KK4BTL
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Feb 2011
219 Posts
I love choppas too! I use jr pcm 10 sx ii only...one for helis and one for planes.

I love modules! Got Dragon Link on that heli and a plane.....Spectrum on another heli and this zephyr....72 mhz pcm on two other planes. Since i use same make heli and plane radios...modules go into whichever tx im using at any time. By the way....Dragon Link is undisputed champ...imho.

Couldnt load the original pic from my phone....
dustydonnay is offline Find More Posts by dustydonnay
Last edited by dustydonnay; Aug 16, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:54 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys!

I got rid of the mix and it flew really well! I also hot glued in a coffee cup thrust tube and she flew really well on 4s. I've strengthened the wings with a carbon strip in each side and had no flutter, but to be honest I was flying in a smaller field and it was getting out of site really quickly so only had 2/3 throttle max at a time. The 2200mah only gave me about 4minutes!

Also, anyone using flaperons? I'd really like to slow this thing down on landing!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Last edited by Teamsherman; Aug 16, 2012 at 02:00 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:59 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Also, anyone using flaperons? I'd really like to slow this thing down on landing!
Read back through the thread and you can see it was tried. Appart from the tip stall problem, dropping flaps on a belly landing wing never work out. Set it up for sploilerons for a better outcome.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:59 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
What battery have you guys decided on that works best for this thing?
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:58 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Hi folks,

Just re-maidened the Zeph with a 2200mah 4s and got a flight time of 2 minutes 34seconds before low voltage cutoff kicked in and I wasn't above 2/3rds throttle at any time!

I tested the battery cells voltage and they all came in at 3.8v. Is this low flight time common? I really don't have fun flying something for only 3 minutes! I tried to fit in a 3000mah 4s but it just wouldn't fit in!

Any suggestions on gaining more flight time?

Also, can I lower the voltage cutoff to about 2.75-3.0v per cell? And if so can someone tell me how to do it on the esc?

Cheers,

TS.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman