HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:11 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
668 Posts
After much cutting and hacking, I got the new fan in.......this is not a very good platform for mods. I ran the new fan up on 5s and I am getting much less watts than expected. Only about 950.... and less thrust that bench testing too... It seems that the blades are restricted by the air intakes. Flight tomorrow....
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,508 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the intakes are a limiting factor, dcame002. A loooooong time ago, when glow powered ducted fans were new, a lot of people tried to model their favorite jet and discovered that the scale intakes resulted in very poor performance. For that matter, it took many years of building full scale jets before the deign of intakes caught up with the engines. This was particularly problematic, with both jets and fans, with split intakes. The interaction of the two streams would cause all sorts of problems; perhaps most famously on the XF-102 prototype (To be fair, there were other aerodynamic issues too.) which simply wouldn't go as fast as it "should have".

It would be interesting to see if blocking off one duct, making sure that whatever you use doesn't get sucked in, would actually increase the static thrust. I seem to recall that one of the early successful A-4 kits only used one functional intake with the smoothest possible duct back to the fan. It's just a thought that's been bouncing around my head.

Either way; have fun with the flying and I hope it's all you expect once it's in the air. The disappointing thrust might not be an issue once it's at flying speed.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:43 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanpekin View Post
I am just a bit confused? Is it about edf or is it about performance gliders? Watched a friend fly the v-70 on the weekend, apart from that sound, i'm not convinced. My stinger out of the box goes just as well, and my e-hawk will climb better and then glides! And hardly a performance glider.
Get back to the jet shape for edf I say and as for the pylon racer, too fast for me, whole new senario. Grab a funfighter, I still find my rare bear slippery enough. I have followed this thread from the beginning, 4s wing flutter/low terminal speed disappointment, low wing mount landing issues and cramped canopy space. As well as the usual hk check everything or it might just drop of. Remember 'model of the year'? Not quite. Good luck all

(monday morning ramblings)
Pretty fair appraisal I guess. The V70 is a bit on the heavy side for a glider of its size, but it does have a certain appeal still for me. I've abandoned any 4S ideas I had and have found that simple thrust tube gets the V70 as close to terminal on 3s as is comfortable. I still find it exciting to fly. It hasnt really caused me any serious grief since I modded out the drag the wing off its mounts part which i view as its main flaw.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:45 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
After much cutting and hacking, I got the new fan in.......this is not a very good platform for mods. I ran the new fan up on 5s and I am getting much less watts than expected. Only about 950.... and less thrust that bench testing too... It seems that the blades are restricted by the air intakes. Flight tomorrow....
Nice one. Will you be doing a slow vertical launch from your hand like my Yak55 does? just kidding and looking forward to hearing about your outcome.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:54 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanpekin View Post
I am just a bit confused? Is it about edf or is it about performance gliders? Watched a friend fly the v-70 on the weekend, apart from that sound, i'm not convinced. My stinger out of the box goes just as well, and my e-hawk will climb better and then glides! And hardly a performance glider.
Get back to the jet shape for edf I say and as for the pylon racer, too fast for me, whole new senario. Grab a funfighter, I still find my rare bear slippery enough. I have followed this thread from the beginning, 4s wing flutter/low terminal speed disappointment, low wing mount landing issues and cramped canopy space. As well as the usual hk check everything or it might just drop of. Remember 'model of the year'? Not quite. Good luck all

(monday morning ramblings)
i too hovered over the button ready to order when the "Slick" video was released but doing a little video work my self there was something not quiet right. So i hung off and i'm glad i did, although this thing looks everything i dreamed of ages ago it has not won me over with what i have read and seen in vids here and it will not be joining my fleet now i'll wait for something a little better

"Idea Of The Year" YES! plane of the year hahaha who are they trying to fool!

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:06 AM
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
Hey Chuck, your welcome to come out to A51 and have a look at the zephyr in person.
I have purchased one as i liked the concept. It does sound pretty cool for a stock edf.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:09 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
Nice one. Will you be doing a slow vertical launch from your hand like my Yak55 does? just kidding and looking forward to hearing about your outcome.
I don't think there's enough thrust. It was about 1kg. I'm gonna give it a shot with 6s . I'm thinking that these blades are stalled static because the watts don't increase much between 3/4 and full throttle

Cool sound with the change sun. Even more like a turbine.
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:07 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
Hi folks,

Today while flying my V70 for the second time, it tip stalled again and nosed in. Zero damage, but I'm wondering why it did it? I wasn't exactly flying slowly but I did at the time have aileron/rudder mix and it stalled in a turn as it did the first time. Should I get rid of the mix? Or could it be possible my rudder is moving the wrong way in the mix?

Right aileron comes up, right taileron goes down, left aileron goes down and left taileron comes up.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:27 AM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
When your right aileron goes up, your left taileron goes up
When your left aileron goes up, your right taileron goes up
Killadan is offline Find More Posts by Killadan
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:03 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,042 Posts
V Tail

If there's any confusion about V Tails, it was explained to me in a way that made sense. I tried using aileron/rudder mix when I first got the Z, but I found it didn't really like it. It does want to pitch down when a lot of rudder is applied(more than most.) I rarely use the rudder on the Z except for knife egdes, or maybe a little on landing if into a crosswind. Make sure you don't over rudder this thing or it will nose over like a Banshee. Obviously, up/down elevator is the same as an X tail. When you look at a V tail from the tail, rotate it 45 degrees(either way, doesn't matter) until one of the V's is vertical. Now move the rudder left/right. The "V", when turned vertical, should move the same way as a normal X tail rudder I.E. left rudder, left tail deflection, right rudder, right tail deflection. If your'e still not sure if it's correct, it should be OPPOSITE of the way the ailerons are traveling.
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Last edited by kmdunnster; Aug 14, 2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:07 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,273 Posts
Not sure if you notice but your right rudder / elevator hinge is starting to rip
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Not sure if you notice but your right rudder / elevator hinge is starting to rip
That's the reason I had it out this morning is for some hinge repairing
Has lasted over 100+ flights now.
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Hey Chuck, your welcome to come out to A51 and have a look at the zephyr in person.
I have purchased one as i liked the concept. It does sound pretty cool for a stock edf.
Cheers Jim one day i'll make a trip down there to meet you guys and have a fly just a long way

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:14 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdunnster View Post
If there's any confusion about V Tails, it was explained to me in a way that made sense. I tried using aileron/rudder mix when I first got the Z, but I found it didn't really like it. It does want to pitch down when a lot of rudder is applied(more than most.) I rarely use the rudder on the Z except for knife egdes, or maybe a little on landing if into a crosswind. Make sure you don't over rudder this thing or it will nose over like a Banshee. Obviously, up/down elevator is the same as an X tail. When you look at a V tail from the tail, rotate it 45 degrees(either way, doesn't matter) until one of the V's is vertical. Now move the rudder left/right. The "V", when turned vertical, should move the same way as a normal X tail rudder I.E. left rudder, left tail deflection, right rudder, right tail deflection. If your'e still not sure if it's correct, it should be OPPOSITE of the way the ailerons are traveling.
Kev
So the fact I had 70% rudder mixed into aileron could be why it nosed over both times in turns?
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:29 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
So the fact I had 70% rudder mixed into aileron could be why it nosed over both times in turns?
70% rudder in your average bank is a lot. Think about how much rudder you use in a turn when it's not mixed in - not very much. This plane has a tendency of being to wag its tail like crazy with even moderate rudder input. Try flying it with no mix and see how little rudder is needed to fly this plane.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper