HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:53 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Yes, check control horns and maybe give them all a dab of hot glue or epoxy. When my ailerons pulled off, one control horn also pulled out.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:34 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
Have torn a control horn plus hinges.
The plane does fly well after a bunch of mods and stuffing around but it still doesnt excite me.
If a Zephyr does'nt excite you then perhaps CP heli's might do the trick. I came from heli's to planes in order to lower my pulse rate a bit
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:52 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,041 Posts
Hinge repairing

Hey Guys,
Check this out...
Kev
HOW TO FIX A BROKEN AILERON on your RC AIRPLANE #127 (5 min 52 sec)
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Last edited by kmdunnster; Aug 11, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:50 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdunnster View Post
Hey Guys,
Check this out...
Kev
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLfRWJ_pgGA
I posted this a few pages back. I tried it on my separated ailerons. It does work but there is a "however" ............................ After the contact cement has cured, the ailerons are extremely stiff, even after working them up and down many cycles. On the very first post-repair flight, I found the aileron movement stiff and the response to be very slow (like molasses). When I got back home, I actually went in and cut the repaired joint in two places, leaving a section at each end and one in the middle attached. At these points, I added hinge tape. The ailerons now move as freely as they did originally. In retrospect, I should have applied the contact cement only in those three places. Cool repair, though.
I believe that had I added the hinge tape when the ailerons were intact, they would not have separated. A "pre-incident" prevention procedure would have been much better than a repair.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:54 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
If a Zephyr does'nt excite you then perhaps CP heli's might do the trick. I came from heli's to planes in order to lower my pulse rate a bit
That ought to do it. I mirror your scenario. I still have all my helis but have not flown one since last fall. I haven't missed the helis yet. Planes are still more interesting for me but I imagine that a time will come when I'll pick up the helis again. Still a lot of unfinished projects left in mid-stream. EDFs have really become an addiction. Haven't run its course yet.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:15 AM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
I have ~7 planes, I bought this as it was 'different'.
I have had a heap of flights on it, like I said, doesn't float my boat anymore.
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:54 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
That ought to do it. I mirror your scenario. I still have all my helis but have not flown one since last fall. I haven't missed the helis yet. Planes are still more interesting for me but I imagine that a time will come when I'll pick up the helis again. Still a lot of unfinished projects left in mid-stream. EDFs have really become an addiction. Haven't run its course yet.
When I started with planes a little under a year ago I used to arrive at the field with maybe 6 helicopters and one glider. Now I turn up with around 6 planes and one or two helicopters. Usually a 450 CP and a little 4F180 and they rarely cause me any grief, but planes are a growing addiction. Fast gliders like the Zephyr are appealing as they enjoyable regardless of the wind conditions. Well up to around 25km/hr winds for me anyhow.

The Shark Racer also interests me, but there is very little in the way of consumer reviews around and I dont want to get burnt.

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20629

Anyway I've got a Vampire and a little Edge540 racer inbound ATM so the Shark can wait
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:42 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
I have ~7 planes, I bought this as it was 'different'.
I have had a heap of flights on it, like I said, doesn't float my boat anymore.
Same here it has become ho hum.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:31 AM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
I havé this one, Its better!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=860
Killadan is offline Find More Posts by Killadan
Old Aug 12, 2012, 05:44 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killadan View Post
I havé this one, Its better!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=860
Granted its likely a better product, but also $199 vs $112 for the ARF. Having seen how quickly these things can go from sleek and shiny things of beauty to pile of sticks, or crumpled foam I generally seek out the budget concious option.

Back to the Zephyr I was flying on Pheonix this afternoon because the windy conditions on the east coast grounded me on Saturday morning. Anyway I was searching through the models looking for something that behaved a little like the V70. What settled with looks nothing like the Zephyr but seemed to me to fly in a similar way was the "A10 Turbine". Do you think i'm missing the mark here?
1. agreed its similar
2. disagree your losing it, go back to heli's
Does anybody else here use Pheonix?

Mick
Last edited by Bravo47; Aug 12, 2012 at 05:45 AM. Reason: typo
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:43 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
I use to until they went with V4 and it kept crashing (my computer) now I use real flight 6 which is good.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Last edited by Banjofrog; Aug 12, 2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:34 AM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jan 2007
952 Posts
New Stuff

I ordered a roll of 18" wide x 5mil and will sell by ft if you need some.
I just need to figure an economical way to ship. Not interested in making a profit but 200' is way more than I will ever use and do not mind sharing.

Tim
w4yn is offline Find More Posts by w4yn
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,225 Posts
Quote:
Anyway I've got a Vampire and a little Edge540 racer inbound ATM so the Shark can wait
I've had the Vamp for a while now. You'll really like it. It's probably the one I fly the most, even on the windier days when I won't fly much else. The V70 goes up on windy days, too and still keeps me entertained. I may also get the upcoming Sea Vixen. Take a look at the X8 Skywalker wing. It's huge and looks crazy in the air. Just watch out for your throwing hand.
I have 20 planes and counting, so I spread my flying over all of them. It takes me a while before I get bored of any particular one. So far, none have bored me. They all get flown or at least till they get destroyed beyond repair. Can't say that about my helis. Many became shelf queens before I got into planes.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
652 Posts
Quote:
When I started with planes a little under a year ago I used to arrive at the field with maybe 6 helicopters and one glider. Now I turn up with around 6 planes and one or two helicopters. Usually a 450 CP and a little 4F180 and they rarely cause me any grief, but planes are a growing addiction. Fast gliders like the Zephyr are appealing as they enjoyable regardless of the wind conditions. Well up to around 25km/hr winds for me anyhow.

The Shark Racer also interests me, but there is very little in the way of consumer reviews around and I dont want to get burnt.

Link- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20629

I'm also heli guy turned plank flyer. I fly planes just because helicopters are so time consuming . I can get a plank up in the air in half the time it takes for me to level a swashplat and tune a gyro. I still love my helis, they just get alot less airtime
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,219 Posts
?here's a pretty kettle of fish?

I am just a bit confused? Is it about edf or is it about performance gliders? Watched a friend fly the v-70 on the weekend, apart from that sound, i'm not convinced. My stinger out of the box goes just as well, and my e-hawk will climb better and then glides! And hardly a performance glider.
Get back to the jet shape for edf I say and as for the pylon racer, too fast for me, whole new senario. Grab a funfighter, I still find my rare bear slippery enough. I have followed this thread from the beginning, 4s wing flutter/low terminal speed disappointment, low wing mount landing issues and cramped canopy space. As well as the usual hk check everything or it might just drop of. Remember 'model of the year'? Not quite. Good luck all

(monday morning ramblings)
mustflynow2 is offline Find More Posts by mustflynow2