SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2012, 09:38 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
My 5s batteries came! Gonna balance the fan n motor then go wreck my plane this Saturday!
Remind me again ............... What did you do to make the wings stronger, to prevent them from doing the funky chicken flutter dance? If you can get this thing up to Funjet speed realm, I may have to get me some parts.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:52 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Remind me again ............... What did you do to make the wings stronger, to prevent them from doing the funky chicken flutter dance? If you can get this thing up to Funjet speed realm, I may have to get me some parts.
I laminated the wings with 5 mil new stuff on both sides. They're also glued onto the fuse permanently. Ailerons have carbon rods. I still think I may need to glass rather than laminate, but we'll see.

I only expect to get about about 1k watts so I don't think I will be in funjet territory unless I go for 6s, then again, I have no clue of how fast the efflux is coming from this unit.
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:52 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Hi folks,

My Zephyr is being delivered today, and I'm wondering if there are a few things I should do whilst I build it to ensure its flight ready! Also, will I be able to fly it with 2650mah 3s batteries as I have quite a few here already?

Cheers,

TS.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Aug 07, 2012, 11:19 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Hi folks,

My Zephyr is being delivered today, and I'm wondering if there are a few things I should do whilst I build it to ensure its flight ready! Also, will I be able to fly it with 2650mah 3s batteries as I have quite a few here already?

Cheers,

TS.
You'll probably need to add weight in the nose as the 2650 will be much lighter than the recommended 3200 - check balance. Also, ensure that the "C" discharge rating is at least as much as the recommended (25c). Flight times will also be greatly reduced unless you plan on just poking it along most of the time. Full throttle may only give you less than 3 minutes.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 12:16 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
You'll probably need to add weight in the nose as the 2650 will be much lighter than the recommended 3200 - check balance. Also, ensure that the "C" discharge rating is at least as much as the recommended (25c). Flight times will also be greatly reduced unless you plan on just poking it along most of the time. Full throttle may only give you less than 3 minutes.
To add to that, make sure u reglue the aileron servo covers, front wing mount (gorilla glue, liquid nails, etc.) , and check that servos are in securely.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:23 AM
madjeff
United Kingdom, Stockton-on-Tees
Joined Mar 2008
543 Posts
well haven't flown mine for some time due to really crap summer in the UK,but this last few days got quite a few flights in at last.settled for a 2200 3s 35c added 30 grams to the nose.
average flight is 4 mins and is just not enough time to get my flying fix for me so going to try a 2650 3cell.
as for things falling off or coming loose,iv had to glue the wing on as the plate at the rear for the bolts to go in came loose and the front wing plate came off all together.
other than that flys well sounds better than the vampire and worth the money.
sssss18 is offline Find More Posts by sssss18
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:54 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Hi folks,

Cheers,

TS.
What the other guys said and drip a little CA into the rear mounting block avoiding threads. I also use cloth tape on the front joint in the wing to tie it together before fitting. then once fitted run a small piece of tape over the front wing mount so the grass does not catch in it. If you don't have a healthy head wind on your maiden you better allow plenty of room for landing. Get a friend to launch for you on your maiden also, as it will dip if you don't have a little up elev dialed in for launch. I've watched some Youtube of guys breaking the wing joint on maiden first launch, so take care.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:48 AM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,890 Posts
Ok so I've set it all up, glued bits and taped bits here and there.

Now, with the v-tail, if I set up some rudder:aileron mix, should the tail surface move the same direction as the same sided aileron? So if the aileron is moving up for a right hand turn, should the right tail surface move up like the aileron or do they need to move opposite? I've never owned a v-tail before.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Aug 08, 2012, 06:31 AM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
70 Posts
For thé rudder its inverted!!!

To Go right with thé rudder its left up and Go left its thé right up
Killadan is offline Find More Posts by Killadan
Old Aug 08, 2012, 08:59 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Ok so I've set it all up, glued bits and taped bits here and there.

Now, with the v-tail, if I set up some rudder:aileron mix, should the tail surface move the same direction as the same sided aileron? So if the aileron is moving up for a right hand turn, should the right tail surface move up like the aileron or do they need to move opposite? I've never owned a v-tail before.
I realized that after all of my v tail headache, I barely even use it. Maybe 10% of the time if that much lol
Old Aug 08, 2012, 09:21 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
I realized that after all of my v tail headache, I barely even use it. Maybe 10% of the time if that much lol
I don't use it either except on rare occasions when I actually remember I have rudder control and I want to straighten out a banked turn. Or when I'm goofing around and "wag the dog". Bank and yank works just fine for this one. I also have a V-tail on my Pterodactyl. Only use it to wag the tail for show. Both planes land fast enough, cross winds don't seem to bother them much, so rudder is not needed much.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:15 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:

So if the aileron is moving up for a right hand turn, should the right tail surface move up like the aileron or do they need to move opposite? I've never owned a v-tail before.
Opposite
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Aug 08, 2012, 03:36 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,669 Posts
If a V-tail confuses you, don't think of it as a V-tail. Think of it separately as a rudder or an elevator. If you are looking at it as a rudder, look at it as 2 vertical surfaces. Right rudder, control surfaces to the right. Don't think of them as up or down.
If you are looking at it as an elevator, look at it as 2 horizontal surfaces. UP elevator, control surfaces go up. Don't think of them as left or right.
Old Aug 08, 2012, 11:04 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
162 Posts
Quote:
Hi folks,

Cheers,

TS.
I'm getting 8 minutes with a 40C -80C 2650 mil. 3S, with 15-20 seconds left for landing set up. Of course that's not full throttle all the time, maybe 20 %...
banjo328 is offline Find More Posts by banjo328
Old Aug 09, 2012, 12:10 AM
Philippians 4:13
Seward, NE
Joined Nov 2006
5,739 Posts
kind of wish the Zephyr was in stock... as well as the 3300 zippy compact!
ty_horn is offline Find More Posts by ty_horn