See our website, matterhorns flyers.org
Killadan is online now Find More Posts by Killadan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
http://jepe.org/indek.htm <--- very good tutorials here on foam glassing if you're interesting in glassing those foam jets.

Just be careful with your resin. Epoxy doesn't stick to epo very well. I was able to peel off the glass layer on my clouds fly after a few flights using epoxy resin on the glass. The part that I did with bondo resin stuck very weil. Although most would advise against using it It works well for me (stinks like hell).
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
74 Posts
Nice
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:06 AM
Russian Federation, Moscow
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Awesome plane! I love it.
Durafly Zephyr V-70 High Performance 70mm EDF V-Tail Glider 1533mm (6 min 2 sec)

Durafly Zephyr V-70 High Performance 70mm EDF V-Tail Glider 1533mm + HK wing Camera (5 min 58 sec)

Durafly Zephyr V-70 High Performance 70mm EDF V-Tail Glider 1533mm + HK wing Camera (7 min 52 sec)
LonelyDragon is offline Find More Posts by LonelyDragon
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:59 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
265 Posts
Nice flights, nice landscape (reminds me of Sweden)
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Jul 12, 2012, 01:29 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Had our first maiden flight this morning with the V70.

No issues with launching or landing. Had a little too much throw in the V-Tail for loops on the first flight, it would roll out of the loop, just using 40% on the end points for the rear elements now.

Had a few troubles with trimming the plane, seem to need trim on each flight not sure whats going on there. Looks nice...sounds nice. Just need some smoke out the tail and people would think it was a turbine.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:11 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Funny thing happened today..... There was a someone drilling a hole in a wall and I thought I heard a zephyr. The plane is a flying drill!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Oct 2011
168 Posts
good news looks like flite test is going to be doing a review of the v-70 soon. just look in the background of the h quad build
some87 is offline Find More Posts by some87
Old Jul 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,971 Posts
Everything going great till I lost contact with the plane. Seems the Spektrum AR500 may have had a brown out. However, it could have been due to the RX and antenna being jammed in the cockpit space so close to the battery and ESC. The signal appeared to come and go near the end and I was able to shut power off just before the crash. Once I got close to the plane, all control surfaces worked as they should. Broke the nose off but it's all repaired now. Wing and wing mounts are fine, didn't budge. Will most likely run the antenna to the outside or ditch the AR500 altogether. Will do a range test before the next flight. Pardon my French near the end.

HobbyKing V70 Zephyr brownout crash (3 min 23 sec)
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:47 AM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
First!

4s Maiden Report

I'm going to start this by saying, do NOT fly this on 4s.
Started out with perfect CG with a 3300 4s, everything looked solid. I had a friend hand launch for me, used about 3/4 throttle and it got up fine.
After all was trimmed out I tried a couple of high speed passes @ WOT. I have never seen wing flutter like this in my life, violent and I was expecting the plane to snap a wing or take a dirt nap. Down wind or up wind it would flutter aggressively. The wing itself shows strength with the resin/foam construction and the CF rod plus the glass strip but where the evident weakness is the cavity where the aileron servo is mounted. I don't think trying to strengthen the cavity with resin will fix the problem, the flex in the wing is not the issue, it's the lateral twist.

Another problem I encountered was the ailerons at high speeds were showing huge amounts of blow-back, almost no response at all until the plane slowed. The servos seems to be of good quality and I don't think the problem lays with them, its the length/size of the aileron plus it is still foam with flex. Also the tail surfaces were evidently twitchy and unstable at WOT, from either too much air speed or thrust from the fan? Hard to say.

All in all, it was a successful maiden, it is a nice flying plane. The stock electrics/setup seemed to handle 4s quite well, speedy and motor were only just warm after a few WOT passes.

So my recommendations:
  • Do my ESC cooling mod
  • ~360g 3s 35c+ Lipo
  • High rates, this is a warm-liner at best, it's clear it is a aerobatic sport flyer. Chasing speed with this will encounter a sad panda face.

It's not a plane for beginners, not that it is hard to fly it's just that it's fairly quick, hard to slow down and not self leveling. Fly it within it's envelope and it's a fantastic plane, I am now going to try turn this in to a aerobatic MACHINE. The tail has so much throw to play with

Pros:
  • Cheep plane with great gear in it.
  • Fun to fly.
  • The noise.
  • Not many models like it.
  • Awesome aerobatics and decent gliding capability.
Cons:
  • 4s/highspeed instability within the wings.
  • Fairly specific Lipos needed.
  • Needing to reglue most things that were done from the factory.

I'm not going to lie, I was disappointed that it did not fly well with 4s and I don't think the issue could be rectified but now aiming to go for a more aerobatic path with it. Flys well, holds great lines and glides fairly well for a overweight glider. It looks sexy as heck and sounds insane. I'd buy another, "plane of the year" I'm still yet to feel that but it is a good plane overall.
A follow up with running 3s!

I'm not going to lie, it flys better on 3s then on 4. The overall weight is only slightly less but for what ever reason the glide and the aerobatic capability is largely better on 3s.
Firstly, the glide. I'm running 4000mah 3s, I had a flight that lasted well over 20 minuets this morning. Blast it up then back right off to a fairly fast gliding circuit, there was almost zero wind and no thermals, just had to use the speed that plane encourages in a glide to keep altitude and not fight it too much with heavy elevator. When flying with power on, 6.5 mins is fairly safe.
The aerobatics are a bunch of fun, most basic IMAC maneuvers it can complete easily, inverted it's great, the only slight improvement I'd like but I already have is a slight increase to roll rate but I already have the servos at max throw. Something to work on
CoG, I found 80mm to work the best for me, the stall was subtle and the plane seemed to fly better, also no trim needed on the elevator.
Thrust tube! Tried a DIY tube, 58mm exhaust, it did quieten it down but I did gain a 15% increase in thrust. The extra thrust is very evident with back to back tests, with and without the thrust tube.

With about 10 flights on 4s with this plane I was not super excited about the plane, with only a handful of flights on 3s I can't wait to get back out there! It flys like a different plane, super fun! The overall speed between 3s and 4s is not huge, mainly 3s I have not encountered any signs of wing flutter like I do with 4s.
For all the people still humping the dream that this plane will do amazing speeds I still highly recommend to buy another plane to do that with. This plane on 3s is plenty quick enough(with a thrust tube it is more so), I think the denial on terminal velocity on a large wing span of foam is the limiting factor.

TLDR: 3s FTW
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:58 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdunnster View Post
OK guys,
Here's the deal. I've got 11 flights now. 3 on 4S 14.8V 2650mAh, and the rest on 3S 11.1V 3300mAh 35C.
This is a really cool plane if you just don't f!@# with it! Fly it just like the R&D guys say. I'm sure they have a lot more than 11 flights and am also pretty sure they've tried all different combinations with this airframe. Like I posted before, this is not a Hotliner. If you fly it as advertised(which is a blast), and don't try to Jam a 6S and go 160MPH, it flys great. Does everything that I'm capable of as a RC pilot. Snap rolls, 4 point loops, knife edges, etc..
11.1V 3S 3300mAh 35C, like is recommended, is perfect. Power, balancing, flight time, etc..
Kev
P.S. What's the matter just flying around about 70mph doing Half Cubans. If want speed, get an Electrifly Rifle. I put a H.K. Funfighter Motor & ESC with a 4S Lipo in one. About the same price($150.00USD) it'll go twice as fast, but nowhere near as fun.
Video posting soon
I'm with you Wretcho, I posted this 2 weeks ago Got about twice as many flights in now, and still feel the same way.
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:40 AM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
325 Posts
big fan of your work guys..
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:33 AM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
74 Posts
Enyone try To glued thé 2 demi wing, and try To glassing thé wing?????
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:18 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
finally crashed my plane this morning.......This thing is tough. It took a nose dive into the dirt and the only thing affected was my front wing mount. :-) Turns out I had my ailerons reversed when I plugged them back in. **facepalm**
Old Jul 13, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssss18 View Post
bye the looks of it. its on its way probably to the airport. some times my orders get so far down the chain then just sit there some times. think it will start to show movement any day imo.
My parcel has been in the UK customs for 2 days now. Last time it came through then in one day. But my last parcel has spent over 2 weeks in customs and I got charged £8.98 in VAT + £13.50 for parcelforce. So whats next??? sssss18 you have done this before, can I have your tracking please.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34