HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:44 AM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Next time I go to Starbucks, I better keep the cup.
Did you do any calculating to come up with 56mm or was that just what you ended up with?
Read a bunch of theory's, the long and short of it is to get the exhaust of the thrust tube to 80% of the internal diameter of the fan unit. Need more testing on length though, that is more trial and error afaik but not as much gain as the exhaust size overall.
All i used was a cup from a fast food place also :P
There is some software going around where you can punch in your measurements and it will give you a template you can print out, then using the template, cut it out form some ~1mm sheet of plastic and roll it up. Or go lazy and buy them premade lol.
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 10, 2012, 02:06 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdunnster View Post
Hey Mick,
What did you use for the thrust tube? Does it make it sound "throatier"
Any quick install instructions? If nothing else, it looks cool.
Kev
Hi Kev

I used X-ray film to make the tube. (At my age I've got plenty of pictures lying around of my knee's). I was planning on buying a Wemotec one Junglegym recomended in his blog, but they were nil stock, so I just used the same dimensions 70mm dia x 120mm x55mm exit dia. I rolled it to size then secured it with tape so I could CA the seam. Then I just secured it with duct tape to the fan, before refitting the fan with some attention payed to the direction of the tube. It ended up at 100mm long as I overlapped the fan housing a bit. The sound may disappoint some people as the tube offers quite a large sound reduction. It flys very quiet so the perception of crazy speed is lost even though it probably has a higher top end speed. More relaxing and more like a glider I think.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:22 AM
Cross your Fingers
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
Read a bunch of theory's, the long and short of it is to get the exhaust of the thrust tube to 80% of the internal diameter of the fan unit. Need more testing on length though, that is more trial and error afaik but not as much gain as the exhaust size overall.
All i used was a cup from a fast food place also :P
There is some software going around where you can punch in your measurements and it will give you a template you can print out, then using the template, cut it out form some ~1mm sheet of plastic and roll it up. Or go lazy and buy them premade lol.
Hey Wretcho,
Got any links to the thrust tube software?? I work at a LHS, and have access to all kinds of different stuff. We've got the 1mm plastic in 12" x 10" in different colors. Red, clear, blue, tint(I think I'm going to try that.)
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:41 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,047 Posts
I've also made them from old Xrays.
Heres the calculator I've used. Hope it helps.
http://www.red-bag.com/engintools/calccone.php
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:50 AM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdunnster View Post
Hey Wretcho,
Got any links to the thrust tube software?? I work at a LHS, and have access to all kinds of different stuff. We've got the 1mm plastic in 12" x 10" in different colors. Red, clear, blue, tint(I think I'm going to try that.)
http://www.pulserate.com/
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:15 AM
Cross your Fingers
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
997 Posts
Your'e the best, thanks guys
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Last edited by kmdunnster; Jul 10, 2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:31 AM
madjeff
United Kingdom, Stockton-on-Tees
Joined Mar 2008
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I tested out a skid version this afternoon and i'm pleased to say it worked beautifully with ground impact resulting in a dolphin effect like my other belly landers when the approach is too steep or fast, rather than like stock with an abrupt halt as the wings locked into the turf.

Mick
skid looks good, what did you use for it.
sssss18 is offline Find More Posts by sssss18
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:44 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssss18 View Post
Its part of an EPO canopy off my old Radjet. I put a little time in with a knife and shaped the underside to mate nicely with the existing skid and body. Then glued it in place with some of Hobbykings EPO glue. Then just ran some cloth tape down the underside so there was no catch point to drag the skid off. In the test flights I came in quite hot and landed well down the field. When it finally did touch I pleasantly surprised to see it pop up again and glide a few more metres before a gentle stop. The second landing was the same, so i'm calling it a success

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:05 AM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Hi guys,
It would be better when i glue thé demi wing and had some tape like thé blizzard wing???
Killadan is offline Find More Posts by Killadan
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:16 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
601 Posts
It would be really cool to see this plane hover. Im sure its possible with a 3 axis gyro. That would look amazinge . it would require a significant power upgrade,but imagine hovering then shooting straight up and coming back down in a flatspin.
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:39 AM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
Whats is thé best combo in 3s for that baby??? 4s possible?? But thé wing dont support or Its ok?!?
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:10 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
It would be really cool to see this plane hover. Im sure its possible with a 3 axis gyro. That would look amazinge . it would require a significant power upgrade,but imagine hovering then shooting straight up and coming back down in a flatspin.
Sounds like a nice dream...
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:37 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssss18 View Post
Can I have your tracking number please for the delivery of this plane. Because my plane was suppose to have arrived today and got into customs but it still stays it is in transit from Hong Kong to UK.
And I am sure it does not take 24 hours to fly form HK to UK.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:00 PM
Fastflydan
Joined Jul 2012
58 Posts
And what do you think about this motor for this baby;

RC Lander 68 mm 4370kv 3S Metal Fan with Brushless Motor
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:10 PM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
I received my HK Zippy Compacts 3700 & 4000 today. Perfect fit. No clue how they work, but perfect fit, plenty of room for rx and esc. :-)
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence