HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:40 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Flair View Post
This is intermittent and sometimes they work fine. So I've lost confidence in the stock unbranded servos.
The rudder/elevator are working ok, but as they are the same type of sevro I'll be changing all four out for a good branded servo. HS65's are identical size so will fit 4 of these this week before its first test flight.
I cycled mine on the servo tester for about 3 minutes.....so far, so good. It's a crap shoot with these inexpensive servos.....I've had $15-$25 servos give up, too!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:40 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Finally made it to Alabama..it took longer for HK to transport it from the "back warehouse" to the "front warehouse" than it did to get it from HongKong to Alabama!

No damage, and everything works. The EDF even runs smoothly, very little vibration. I checked ALL of the plastic mounted "hardware", and they glued this one very well. Still going to wick some thin CA where I can.

Also, going to the LHS to obtain some plastic wing skids...thought I had some..nope. I've used some on my Phase 3 U-2, and they did not catch in the grass/weeds..worked as intended. I did, however auger that plane in, they do not do well with half a wing!
I think the plastic that they use does not stick well with ca. Id go with gorilla or liquid nails like the other guys here. Good luck on the maiden!
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jul 08, 2012, 05:32 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I don't think the 4s in causing the wing flutter but the speed that is introduced by using a 4s battery. So if you increase the speed by other means you will still get the flutter.
I think you are correct. I witnessed the wing flutter yesterday during a full throttle down wind pass, and I'm only running on 3s.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:40 PM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I think you are correct. I witnessed the wing flutter yesterday during a full throttle down wind pass, and I'm only running on 3s.
It's not a nice feeling is it
I've still been running mine on 4s while I wait for 3s lipos from HK, just putting around on 1/2 to 3/4 throttle on down lines and flats, only using full throttle on uplines.
On a flat pass I get wing flutter @ 3/4 throttle on 4s, not sure what the air speed is though.
Once I get my 3's, I have a 56mm thrust tube to try, will post the thrust/watts with and without.
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:51 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
Once I get my 3's, I have a 56mm thrust tube to try, will post the thrust/watts with and without.
I knocked a thrust tube up as well this afternoon out of some X-ray film. I've got zero experience in that area, but I like to tinker. Probably wont get a flight test though until next Sunday.

When you get your 3S you will probably get annoyed trying to fit everything in. I was working on mine this arvo trying to find a good spot for the RX whilst giving me some length way battery space. I ended up trimming a small amount of foam from the upper rear of the housing. Added some velcro and inverted my rx. I taped the battery leads flat to the battery where they exit the battery. Now it slides in a neat fit below the rx with cables to the rear with the esc tucked in alongside. At the start I was planning on fitting small piece of flat carbon fibre I had from an old heli frame as an rx mount high at the rear, but I found only a very small amount of foam needed to come out to square off the recess.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2012
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
I would use CA. Epoxy will not give a nice strong bond to EPO. Others here have said Gorilla Glue is best for EPO but we dont have it here down under so i cant comment.
Good news, it looks like we do have GG in Australia.......

http://gorillaglue.com.au/
Terra is offline Find More Posts by Terra
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:00 AM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I knocked a thrust tube up as well this afternoon out of some X-ray film. I've got zero experience in that area, but I like to tinker. Probably wont get a flight test though until next Sunday.

When you get your 3S you will probably get annoyed trying to fit everything in. I was working on mine this arvo trying to find a good spot for the RX whilst giving me some length way battery space. I ended up trimming a small amount of foam from the upper rear of the housing. Added some velcro and inverted my rx. I taped the battery leads flat to the battery where they exit the battery. Now it slides in a neat fit below the rx with cables to the rear with the esc tucked in alongside. At the start I was planning on fitting small piece of flat carbon fibre I had from an old heli frame as an rx mount high at the rear, but I found only a very small amount of foam needed to come out to square off the recess.

Mick
My 3s lipos turned up today, to be honest the 4s 3300's fitted better then my 3s 4000's. Got the 3s 4000's to fit without much drama, had to add 25grams to the nose to get a CoG of 78mm ish.

My test thrust tube is just a home made jobbie, it's very basic but I just want to test before I purchase one, also would like to test different lengths and exhaust sizes. Will do this tomorrow morning, I am le tired

Another thing I have done is to apply strips of clear heavy duty packing tape to parts of the wing. Mainly from front to back on the wing across points where it shows large amounts of twist, mostly the outer half of the wing. Places about 3 strips front to back, some over the aileron servos and near the wing tip. Also have one strip from wing tip to wing tip on the underside.
I had a engineering mate look at it for me and also the video I posted earlier with the wing flutter, the placement on the tape was his idea, so if it doesn't work I'll just blame him :P
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Last edited by Wretcho; Jul 09, 2012 at 06:05 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:50 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,405 Posts
Terra, there are two Gorilla Glues used for EPP.

This is the brown stuff which we get here and works OK but looks pretty ugly IMO. It is probably very similar to most other expanding polyurethane glues like Selleys and Sika.

The Yanks love the white stuff which dries twice as fast and gets the nod as the best, but as far as I know but no one keeps it here any more as it has a more limited shelf life.

You can buy it at reasonable cost on the Internet.... but then the postage is the usual US minimum $17 or whatever.

Best way is to find a friend who will bring you some back.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Good news, it looks like we do have GG in Australia.......

http://gorillaglue.com.au/
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:55 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Terra, there are two Gorilla Glues used for EPP.

This is the brown stuff which we get here and works OK but looks pretty ugly IMO. It is probably very similar to most other expanding polyurethane glues like Selleys and Sika.

The Yanks love the white stuff which dries twice as fast and gets the nod as the best, but as far as I know but no one keeps it here any more as it has a more limited shelf life.

You can buy it at reasonable cost on the Internet.... but then the postage is the usual US minimum $17 or whatever.

Best way is to find a friend who will bring you some back.

John
If you guys want a package of GG sent to AU let me know. Its only a few $ to purchase at the local hardware store and I doubt shipping would be more than $10 (need to double check) for a bunch of bottles of GG. Then someone can distrbute within AU.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:11 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,405 Posts
Thanks, that's a great offer. I have some but I encourage others to take you up on it.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
If you guys want a package of GG sent to AU let me know. Its only a few $ to purchase at the local hardware store and I doubt shipping would be more than $10 (need to double check) for a bunch of bottles of GG. Then someone can distrbute within AU.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:22 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,399 Posts
Gorilla Glue is available from Autopro or Auto One not sure which but it is available.

Shaun.

Just looked it is Auto One
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:58 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
So CA would work fine for the plane???
And has anyone tried transporting the plane in a car?? I cant fit it in one piece but i have to travel to my flying field?? so any suggestions?/
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:04 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
I just came up with a pretty cool idea.

Since I'm not running the stock esc, and the one I am using supports up to 7s, I think I will go with a 5s setup for my power upgrade.

I already have a CS 10 blade fan on the way, I think I will order the HK L2855 motor and slap those together. I'm leaning more towards the 2100 kv. Should have around 900 watts.

A 5s 2200 has around the same energy as a 3700 mah 3s, but drawing much less amps. I think I can squeeze some extra flight time out. Also, the 5s pack is much shorter lengthwise.

The 5s packs are also about the same cost, or cheaper than the equivalent 4s pack.
I wonder if this setup will work
turnigy 2200mah 5s pack
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9461.
2100kv edf
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18541

I'm really just looking for unlimited vertical, Not trying to set airspeed records, There are better airframes for that.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have ordered some "new stuff". It's cheap and it looks like it probably does a much better job than packing tape.

This is an interesting post regarding wing flutter

http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...CATING_FLUTTER
Last edited by dcame002; Jul 09, 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:05 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
So CA would work fine for the plane???
And has anyone tried transporting the plane in a car?? I cant fit it in one piece but i have to travel to my flying field?? so any suggestions?/
I have a 96 Honda civic 4 door and was able to fit mine in my back seat fully assembled. It just takes some careful maneuvering
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
But can it fit in a Matiz-http://www.careos.com/pics/BiblioPHO/net/matiz_2005.jpg

I dont thing so.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34