HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
Not a good day.

I"ve had several successful flight with the zephyr until today. Today was sunny. little to no wind. I launched, add a little elevator and the plane banked hard to the right nosed into the ground. Nose is in pieces. The plastic piece that is set into the fuselage that the hex screws, screws into to hold the wings inplace ripped of the fuselage. And it's broke. The nose piece is fixable. But the plastic peice with nuts attached needs to be replaced. From day one, I've had FMA Copilot II installed for stabilization. so launches have been smooth. After launch, it would loose a little altitude and start climbing. Today was roll right and nose dive. After closer examination, the right aileron control horn was loose from the aileron. Could mine, like others have come loose from a factory defect on glueing???????????. The front piece that the front wing pegs slided into, I had to reglue during assembly.
Ineedmoreparts is offline Find More Posts by Ineedmoreparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:05 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedmoreparts View Post
I"ve had several successful flight with the zephyr until today. Today was sunny. little to no wind. I launched, add a little elevator and the plane banked hard to the right nosed into the ground. Nose is in pieces. The plastic piece that is set into the fuselage that the hex screws, screws into to hold the wings inplace ripped of the fuselage. And it's broke. The nose piece is fixable. But the plastic peice with nuts attached needs to be replaced. From day one, I've had FMA Copilot II installed for stabilization. so launches have been smooth. After launch, it would loose a little altitude and start climbing. Today was roll right and nose dive. After closer examination, the right aileron control horn was loose from the aileron. Could mine, like others have come loose from a factory defect on glueing???????????. The front piece that the front wing pegs slided into, I had to reglue during assembly.
I actually brought that issue up on the HK discussion section. Hopefully HK puts some fire on at least stocking spare parts.

Sorry to hear about your crash bud......
dcame002 is online now Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Look at this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1682080
Very interesting.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Also.
What glue did you use to glue the horns onto the wing and the plastic wing holder onto the foam?
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
If the question on glue is to me. I didn't glue the horns. It came preglued from the factory. The other piece that broke is mounted inside the fuselage, where the hex screws for the wings screws into. it pulled out when the nose hit, then the wing hit the ground. pulling it out.
Ineedmoreparts is offline Find More Posts by Ineedmoreparts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:54 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I managed a much slower landing today into a approx 18km head wind, but the glider still came to an abrupt halt as soon as the wing contacted the grass. There was a small tear in my cloth tape bracing, so I dare say that if I didnt brace the front wing joint I would have need the glue again. Anyway I picked up a set of the wing skids that people have mentioned here but after much thought on the wing position to fit them I decided against. The whole purpose of the exercise is was to reduce stress on the front wing mount. I thought the skids would be another catch point on landing adding leverage on the stress point. I was also concerned that a wing mount skid could catch and drive the nose in resulting in an end over end roll over. I think a forward mount centre skid idea is better so I've fashion a piece of an old EPO canopy and fitted it over the existing front skid. Glued in place and a little cloth tape to make the EPO more durable. No test flight yet on the new skid.

My research did lead me to a Parkzone F4F skid that somebody may be interested in trying out. Link- http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ1921

I find it a little nerve racking, but I love flying this bird, so I hope we can overcome a few teething issues.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:51 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,307 Posts
Got a nice shot of mine landing today. Sort of captures the unique look of the model I thought.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Got a nice shot of mine landing today. Sort of captures the unique look of the model I thought.
Nice!
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Last edited by ozzi supercub; Jul 08, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
What glue is the best to glue the tail and reglue the plastic horns (and the rest) onto the foam?
I got cheap 5min epoxy or HK CA (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8449)

????????
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:29 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
I would use CA. Epoxy will not give a nice strong bond to EPO. Others here have said Gorilla Glue is best for EPO but we dont have it here down under so i cant comment.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Why are you not advised to go into a dive??? I love doing a dive downwing leg.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
I have a CS 10 blade EDF unit along with a Castle PI75 sitting around. Any takes on how the Zephyr will do on this setup? It should add a nice bit of thrust, speed and a nice jet sound too. all o 3S without the 4S wing flutter. Maybe I should put some "New Stuff" on for added strength and durability. Hmmm…
Putter is offline Find More Posts by Putter
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:42 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,282 Posts
I don't think the 4s in causing the wing flutter but the speed that is introduced by using a 4s battery. So if you increase the speed by other means you will still get the flutter.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hemel Hempstead
Joined Feb 2010
62 Posts
Like many on here I had the front wing mounting pull out during a test assembly due to lack of glue in the joint, but that was easy to fix. A more worrying problem was that while setting up the servo throws in a space of a just a few minutes both Aileron servos failed - jittering followed by a whining noise and spinning gears. This is intermittent and sometimes they work fine. So I've lost confidence in the stock unbranded servos.
The rudder/elevator are working ok, but as they are the same type of sevro I'll be changing all four out for a good branded servo. HS65's are identical size so will fit 4 of these this week before its first test flight.
Flying_Flair is offline Find More Posts by Flying_Flair
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:34 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,645 Posts
My Zephyr is Here!

Finally made it to Alabama..it took longer for HK to transport it from the "back warehouse" to the "front warehouse" than it did to get it from HongKong to Alabama!

No damage, and everything works. The EDF even runs smoothly, very little vibration. I checked ALL of the plastic mounted "hardware", and they glued this one very well. Still going to wick some thin CA where I can.

Also, going to the LHS to obtain some plastic wing skids...thought I had some..nope. I've used some on my Phase 3 U-2, and they did not catch in the grass/weeds..worked as intended. I did, however auger that plane in, they do not do well with half a wing!
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy