HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:33 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
I personally think that both the front and rear wing mounts have to be glued in with CA. Especially, if you epoxy the front mount in, in case of a bad landing, you will either rip out the middle front part of the wing with the two carbon sticks (difficult to repair) or you will rip out a big chunk of EPO coming with the mount (as bad as the first option).

I may repeat myself, but brittle CA coming off is much less prone to cause structural damage to such an important part/location.

Luckily (??), I still have that high grass to land on/in. I now permanently use flaperons with elevator up to get velocity out. I take a downwind leg far away, (beware of stalling on the last 180 degree curve) and try to flare her down the last 3-5 seconds. Maybe I'll put up a video of that.

That being said, my 3S 3000mah 20C are beginning to give out, getting warmer and warmer after each flight. So I have to stay easy on throttle and wait for the 3700mah Compacts...
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:58 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
691 Posts
I used the same technique, but my tx is cheap so no flaps. It takes forever to bleed off the speed! Switching to a 9x this weekend.
dcame002 is online now Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:01 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,659 Posts
Sticking Stuff to EPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
For what it's worth I reglued my wing front attachment with UHU Por and it feels rock solid. Used it as a standard glue not contact mode and left it overnight to cure.

UHU Por and EPP do get along - and it seems to grip the plastic as well.
+1, Agree! Another semi-flexible, rather sticky adhesive is a Liquid Nails product available at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. I've used it to affix motor mounts with great success....and I will be re-gluing stuff on my Zephyr when it arrives.

Info and photo...http://www.lowes.com/pd_90834-12-LN-...t=liquid+nails
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jul 06, 2012, 09:23 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
I used the same technique, but my tx is cheap so no flaps. It takes forever to bleed off the speed! Switching to a 9x this weekend.
Make your downwind leg farther away...

If you're coming in just a meter or 2 too high, you have to snake your way in, always with that ugly stall picture in your mind...
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:00 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
Todays third flight. If you make a long approach she glides in without any problem.

Denny's Zepher part 1 (4 min 21 sec)
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4J Denny View Post
Todays third flight. If you make a long approach she glides in without any problem.

http://youtu.be/gja_5y-6zTk
Hey that's right beside my house I recognize that hill! It's a landfill. I would love to bring my zephyr there and fly. Is there a club there?
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:08 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
691 Posts
Ordered this fan for my zephyr
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22069

I wonder what the difference in thrust will be, if there is any.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:13 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Ordered this fan for my zephyr
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=22069

I wonder what the difference in thrust will be, if there is any.
Sure there will be thrust difference in return of 15 amps approx.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4J Denny View Post
Nice landing. You made landing look as simple as a Bixler.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:32 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
Quote:
Hey that's right beside my house I recognize that hill! It's a landfill. I would love to bring my zephyr there and fly. Is there a club there?
The flying field is at Vista View Park, Davie, Florida. Yes, the club is called VistaViewFlyers. We fly off the top of the hill, nice grass runway. You can download an application from our web site, Vistaviewflyers.org or see me for one. Must have a AMA.
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:45 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Sure there will be thrust difference in return of 15 amps approx.
+ or minus 15 amps? I assume plus 15 amps. Good thing I have an 80 amp esc now.
Do you know where I can find performance numbers specifically thrust, voltage, amps, and efflux data.

I'd still call myself a noob when it comes do EDF's
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
I have an idea for a mod but I wanted to get a few opinions before taking the hobby knife to the side of my Zephyr's fuselage. I don't think the integrity of the fuse would be compromised too badly considering the carbon bar and Glass fiber rods would still be intact. There would still be about 3/4 of the foam having not been cut. The whole point is just to put the Rx in a better spot.

I thought to cut a chunk out from the fuselage (outlined in RED) and make a cavity where I could place the Rx. I would take the removed piece and hollow it out just enough to fit the RX, then use clear tape to hold it back on. The BLUE dotted line would be where I'd cut a slot to put in another servo extension for the esc. The dotty YELLOW spot would be an area I'd try to hollow out and route the Rx antenne through. I'd also have to cut a hole clean through the fuse to pull the servo wires over form the other side which would be removing a bit more than 1/4 size piece out.

So dumb idea or could it be feasible? The only reason Im considering this is because I thought it might be a bit better than mounting the Rx almost right in between the esc and motor. This does seem it bit overly complicated so I may just mount it in the canopy like other people have been doing.

Thanks

Matt
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Jul 08, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 10:42 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,436 Posts
Just check them when they arrive.

I got some 3S 3300 and a 4S 3700 Compact yesterday and the cell size is identical. That is the 4S 3700 is exactly 4/3 the thickness of the 3S 3300 and identical in width and length.

Running some more rigorous tests today on the CBA so I can have an argument with HK but the 3700 showed up as 3250 on the first discharge cycle on the FMA PL8 at 5Amps which is not even 1.5C rate. Same capacity as the 3S 3300s. It's a 4S 3300 for sure.

I'm betting they have put the wrong labels on the 3700 - deliberately or accidentally I'm not saying.

Just possible they did the same on other Compact 3700 batteries.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aender69 View Post
That being said, my 3S 3000mah 20C are beginning to give out, getting warmer and warmer after each flight. So I have to stay easy on throttle and wait for the 3700mah Compacts...
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:39 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
+1, Agree! Another semi-flexible, rather sticky adhesive is a Liquid Nails product available at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. I've used it to affix motor mounts with great success....and I will be re-gluing stuff on my Zephyr when it arrives.

Info and photo...http://www.lowes.com/pd_90834-12-LN-...t=liquid+nails
The best glue by far for foamies is the white Gorilla glue. I thought that what every one used.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Incredibl...item4cff311b2b
http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Glue-5.../dp/B001L6CVS6
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/a...ive-54286.html

You put the glue on one side, wet the other side with water and press together. The glue foams a bit which helps fill small voids.

It is best to wipe of the excess as it dries.

I've used it on the Radian and Radian Pro. I haven't had the opportunity to use it on the V70

Cheers,

Peter
phomann is offline Find More Posts by phomann
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:32 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phomann View Post
The best glue by far for foamies is the white Gorilla glue. I thought that what every one used.
You put the glue on one side, wet the other side with water and press together. The glue foams a bit which helps fill small voids.
Peter
+1 on the WHITE GG! Peter forgot to mention that it should be clamped (or taped) for 15 to 30 minutes while it is setting up (oozing) for best results. The original, brown colored GG had a much longer clamp time and expanded a lot more. You also want to use a VERY small bead of glue. I only use this GG and the Liquid Nails product that I mentioned earlier on all my EPO/EPP planes.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy