HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
So what is thebest way to fix the wing (breacking) problem?? by the way i will need to dismantel the wins in order to transport them.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:08 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
So what is thebest way to fix the wing (breacking) problem?? by the way i will need to dismantel the wins in order to transport them.
Its a little early to suggest the "best" way.

1. The front mount needs to be glued in securely. For a lot of us this mount fell out in the first couple of flights
2. The pin lock in setup design of the front mount is very weak. Which is only a small rod mounted in a let than durable plastic mount has the entire leverage length of one wing pitted against it on landing. I didnt want to glue the wings together, so I've used cloth tape to tie the front wing joints together fairly securely. The wing can still be removed easily. Its just one piece now.
3. Land on a field free of all obstructions that may catch the wings.
4. Bleed off speed before ground contact. Thats not as easy as it sounds with this aircraft. Some have reported success with a flaperon/elev mix for braking.
5. Some people have fitted a variety of skids with a hope of reducing landing stress on the wing joint.

Thats the best summary I can offer at this point. I guess the project will evolve with mods over the next couple of months. I just hope Hobbyking release the spares soon, because a lot of $140 Zephyrs will be grounded waiting for wings in the very near future. The front wing joint is a terminal flaw for this otherwise great aircraft.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 05, 2012, 05:15 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
On mine I used parkzone stryker fin retainers as covers to protect the rear bolts from snaging on the grass. You can still remover the wing if needed.

HobbyKing Durafly Zephyr wing bolt cover mod (0 min 24 sec)
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:31 PM
madjeff
United Kingdom, Stockton-on-Tees
Joined Mar 2008
543 Posts
well finally got to maiden mine today. i went with a 2200 45c nano with 85g of led stuffed right up the front.cg was at the 80mm mark.
glad i had some one else to throw it for me as it dipped very low before it started to clime.if i was on my own then it would of hit the ground before i got to the sticks.
strangely it was nose heavy,timer was set for 4mins and once trimmed started the test flight.
so speed wise i think its not super fast, just fast but this might be partly the lipos fault.
does loops ok but it wont go vertical for long,rolls are not bad but i find it noses up so maybe a little differential will help. the big grin factor is the edf sound its fantastic and almost as good as the vampire.
landing i was bit shocked how far it takes to land, and my locale park is out for this plane.
come in hot with this one and the wings will part company.
as i had all the led in the nose the lipo was very warm with no airflow but the esc was cold with it being in the hatch.
so more tweaking and setting up before i give judgement, at the min im not excited like my vampire and skyraider.
sssss18 is online now Find More Posts by sssss18
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:43 PM
Miami, Florida USA
Joined Aug 2007
234 Posts
Maidened mine this morning with a ThunderPower 3800 45c 3cell. Cg was around the 80 mark and she flew great with only a few clicks of up elevator. Nice flying plane. Second flight was even better with the pland being trimmed out. Here is the maiden video my friend took with his little keychain camera. Best viewed with full screen and HD. Tomorrow I will have a better camera so she wont look like a little dot in the sky.

http://youtu.be/ma67d838luI
F4J Denny is offline Find More Posts by F4J Denny
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:12 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
visitied hk to to raise the attention of the issue with the wing mount, and received this reply

Quote:
We never had a problem with it, simple as that, when we built prototypes and glued that component in, we never had an issue. As for re-gluing it and loosing it again, sorry to hear it but I would suggest that the glue and/or preperation were not up to the job, far more plausible than the model having such a simple and obvious flaw.
^ I hope they inspect the planes in the future and listen to feedback or there may be some people that write bad reviews because they're upset from the hype.
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:21 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,737 Posts
dcame002;
What type of glue did you use?
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:48 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Thick ca. I even left it for a day
Old Jul 05, 2012, 11:59 PM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
Thick ca. I even left it for a day
Thanks....I know CA "sticks" rather well to EPO foam, but not very well to some "plastics"; could that have been a part of the problem?
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:40 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I just used HobbyKing's 2 part 5min epoxy to glue my wing retainer back on. It seems solid so far.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:08 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
As has been documented throughout this thread alot of items on the zephyr either require glueing or have insufficient glue.

I found that the aileron servo covers, aileron servos are not glued from factory
The plastic part at the front where the wing attaches needs extra glue. Also reinforcing in the area the wing pins attach to the wing is required (i filled with hot glue)
Where the wings bolts connect is not glued in (purely captured in the foam. Rips out after one non perfect landing)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4J Denny View Post
Maidened mine this morning with a ThunderPower 3800 45c 3cell. Cg was around the 80 mark and she flew great with only a few clicks of up elevator. Nice flying plane. Second flight was even better with the pland being trimmed out. Here is the maiden video my friend took with his little keychain camera. Best viewed with full screen and HD. Tomorrow I will have a better camera so she wont look like a little dot in the sky.

http://youtu.be/ma67d838luI
What field is that. Looks like Davie.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:10 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I just used HobbyKing's 2 part 5min epoxy to glue my wing retainer back on. It seems solid so far.
Be weary of epoxy and epo....

I just hope hk puts some fire on getting spare parts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:41 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
Be weary of epoxy and epo....

I just hope hk puts some fire on getting spare parts
+1
Epo and epoxy do not get along.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:06 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,606 Posts
For what it's worth I reglued my wing front attachment with UHU Por and it feels rock solid. Used it as a standard glue not contact mode and left it overnight to cure.

UHU Por and EPP do get along - and it seems to grip the plastic as well.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:09 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Ive got some UHU Creativ which I'll test on some scrap epo.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub