SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Aug 2011
161 Posts
mine showed up yesterday! Only mod I've done was to tape the box right side out. and take a good look at all the parts, mess around with balancing the fan. She sure is purrdy. Hope I get mine up and flying soon. I have a few ideas for mods and whatnot. Theres many great things to do already in the thread.

happy 4th o July!
Mattacks is online now Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Jul 04, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 10:14 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Hey guys how would you rate rudder performance. I haven't even bothered using mine lol. I may go try some soaring later
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:13 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
Hey guys how would you rate rudder performance. I haven't even bothered using mine lol. I may go try some soaring later
I don't use the rudder much but I can wag its tail like a dog waiting for a Milkbone.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
So what do you use rate for??????
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Jul 04, 2012, 03:24 PM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
265 Posts
Took off early today, to test out thermal ability.... a bit disappointed, definitely no soarer. Everytime I thought, ah there's a bubble of hot air and tried to turn, I fell out in a spin...

Zephyr performs better at the slope or in slermals. She's too fast for normal thermalling. Maybe it works if you get her over 600 feet, where thermals tend to get bigger, but at that height, she's becoming frightfully small...
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:22 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
A little disappointed today.....I was flying and noticed that the plane kept rolling to the left. After checking the plane, the screw mounts came loose. In addition, I lost the plastic piece that the wing pegs go into. Good job hk.
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
A little disappointed today.....I was flying and noticed that the plane kept rolling to the left. After checking the plane, the screw mounts came loose. In addition, I lost the plastic piece that the wing pegs go into. Good job hk.

Lesson learned.. it's not hks fault.. you have to check EVERYTHING that's "done for you" by manufacturers.. it's not a lamborghini or a ferrari.. it's mass production
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 04, 2012, 04:42 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
No lesson learned. I checked everything out of the box. Those screw mounts are in the inside of the foam. One wouldn't expect to have to glue those back in place. The plastic piece is understandable, but these are embedded in the foam.

Yes, hobbyking did advertise this as their Lamborghini or ferarri.
That's also a poor example, comparing cars to hobby planes. You wouldn't expect to have to go back and tighten all of your belts after buying a brand new Volkswagen?
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:09 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,073 Posts
Quote:
My little piece that the LE of the wings hook into the fuselage came off and lost it the second flight. I had to fabricate one out of birchwood.
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Aug 2011
820 Posts
As has been documented throughout this thread alot of items on the zephyr either require glueing or have insufficient glue.

I found that the aileron servo covers, aileron servos are not glued from factory
The plastic part at the front where the wing attaches needs extra glue. Also reinforcing in the area the wing pins attach to the wing is required (i filled with hot glue)
Where the wings bolts connect is not glued in (purely captured in the foam. Rips out after one non perfect landing)
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Jul 04, 2012, 07:39 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,874 Posts
Surely this one is absolutely critical.

Mine fell off just trial fitting the wing. As supplied there was a minimal glue surface between glossy foam and some smooth raised ribs. It is loaded in tension (weakest) not shear. If this comes off in flight under even slight -ve G the wing will detach at the FRONT. Can imagine some pretty exciting separation events at high speed.

I am impressed by the innovation of the Zephyr in general but this is a real design weakness IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
As has been documented throughout this thread alot of items on the zephyr either require glueing or have insufficient glue.

I found that the aileron servo covers, aileron servos are not glued from factory
The plastic part at the front where the wing attaches needs extra glue. Also reinforcing in the area the wing pins attach to the wing is required (i filled with hot glue)
Where the wings bolts connect is not glued in (purely captured in the foam. Rips out after one non perfect landing)
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jul 05, 2012, 12:40 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
705 Posts
Sadly I glued mine and waited a day, and it still fell off. I'm made a replacement from foam and fiberglass. I'm still gonna run screws though the wing. That's the weakest point imo.

The wing area setup really opens up the possibility to use another wing set wisignificant airframe mods. That may ultimately be the easiest way to fix the 4s flutter
Old Jul 05, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Aug 2011
161 Posts
ya gotta check those glues..
Last edited by Mattacks; Jul 05, 2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Has anyone tried running a strip of silk, Sky-Loft, or very thin glass fiber alone the thickest part of the wing? Leading edge? Trailing edge? All of the above? Or, What about covering the whole thing with a low temp covering material? Laminating just about anything should help to damp flutter.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
161 Posts
Yup, laminating film was mentioned. a few pages back I ordered myself a roll of 5 mil CP laminating film.
Last edited by Mattacks; Jul 05, 2012 at 06:43 AM.