HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:43 PM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
so .. commiing in this thread after 20 pages.. have yoou all gone 4s as I predicted or not yet?
Tried 4s with no such luck. The main issue I found was the main wing could not handle the increase in speed reacting with violent wing flutter. You can fly it on 4s at lower throttle ect but you cannot use the gains for the extra cell.
If you do decide to stick to 4s either look at spending a large amount of time trying to get this $130 foamies wing 'stronger' with CF or wraps without changing tha airfoil which has proven to be quite good.

Other option is fly the heck out of it on 3s and have a ball or change the motor to a ~2600kv and run on 4s with not much gain over 3s.
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:07 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
268 Posts
new stuff

Gents,

Do any of the Perth based crew know who sells the "New Stuff" covering refered to in this thread?

cheers Brad.
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:21 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.T.K.F View Post
Gents,

Do any of the Perth based crew know who sells the "New Stuff" covering refered to in this thread?

cheers Brad.
There is a link in the post.
Aloft Hobbies
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
Last edited by ozzi supercub; Jul 03, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:01 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
There is a link in the post.
Aloft Hobbies
Cheers, got that one. I wanted to try any places local to Perth for p/u this week?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Possibly Perth rc? Pretty much the only/best place for plane stuff locally imo.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:47 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
Possibly Perth rc? Pretty much the only/best place for plane stuff locally imo.
Thx Wretcho.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:53 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,309 Posts
Guys the "New Stuff" Wayne at Aloft is stocking is not from a modelling supplies place.

It is the laminating film used for enclosing name cards, protecting books etc etc.

He gives some details of thicknesses etc on his web site. We use the very thin stuff in place of solar film for indoor planes and the like. He is talking about thick name card laminating film I would think.

You will find it at Officeworks or library suppliers or label suppliers or similar stores I'm guessing.

It's this stuff in the correct thickness.

http://www.lamination.net.au/index.p...d338abb783fa17

Wayne says, "We like the 5 mil for most normal projects, and the 10 mil for heavy planes where we are not as concerned about weight, or need a super tough skin.The 3 mil is great for molded foam planes with a lot of compound curves, and the 1.7 mil is excellent for super light builds"

250 micron is about 10mils so it looks like you need the 125 micron or 250 micron thicknesses.

Do a Google search for "laminating film suppliers" "Perth" site:.au.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Last edited by jj604; Jul 03, 2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:08 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Guys the "New Stuff" Wayne at Aloft is stocking is not from a modelling supplies place.

It is the laminating film used for enclosing name cards, protecting books etc etc.

He gives some details of thicknesses etc on his web site. We use the very thin stuff in place of solar film for indoor planes and the like. He is talking about thick name card laminating film I would think.

You will find it at Officeworks or library suppliers or label suppliers or similar stores I'm guessing.

It's this stuff in the correct thickness.

http://www.lamination.net.au/index.p...d338abb783fa17

Wayne says, "We like the 5 mil for most normal projects, and the 10 mil for heavy planes where we are not as concerned about weight, or need a super tough skin.The 3 mil is great for molded foam planes with a lot of compound curves, and the 1.7 mil is excellent for super light builds"

250 micron is about 10mils so it looks like you need the 125 micron or 250 micron thicknesses.

Do a Google search for "laminating film suppliers" "Perth" site:.au.
PERFECT.... well done on the info jj.
I just found some A3 150 micron at wk to try.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:28 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,042 Posts
New Stuff

Hey guys,
Yeah, like I posted earlier, I had some left over New Stuff from a Le Fish sloper that I put on the bottom of my Z70. If nothing else, it cleans up the airfoil from the servo cut outs and it'll prevent scrapes and scratches
Flew 3 more times again today for a total now of 14 flights and still rock solid. I've been flying 11.V 3S 3300mAh 35C Zippy compacts. I'm getting about 6 min of flight time WOT with 800mAh to spare on the bat.
On 3s, This is a solid warmliner.
Hobby King Zephyr V-70 Long Beach, Ca (2 min 17 sec)

P.S. The Video, I'll put it up again is with the 1.7mil new stuff on the bottom of the wing. Never had any wing flutter problems, even with the flights on 4s, but it's happier with 3s..
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
My new benchmark for planes, if the wings are not about to collapse you're not pushing it hard enough.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:56 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
268 Posts
pack choice

F.Y.I

I ended up with 11.V 3S 4000mAh 25C Zippy compacts.
From what I found on the HK site, the size was the same as the 3300 and still in the weight sweet spot for this little sucker... (hate hate hate, adding dead weight)
Will see if the gamble has paid off soon I hope???
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:40 AM
Joined Jan 2012
16 Posts
speed increase

Never thought I'd want to increase the speed but these conversations peeked my interest. Would those in the know state the advantages and disadvantages of
1.Thrust cones/tubes
2. 10 blade fans vs 6 blade

could HK have plans of new product accessories if there are advantages?

And my last newbie question, could HK released this model with a detune the esc thru timing? Could speed be increased thru esc timing?
Ineedmoreparts is offline Find More Posts by Ineedmoreparts
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:30 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
I've always kept ESC, Bat, and RX appart in the past. Isnt there a high risk factor packing the ESC and battery together regards heat transfer, and also having the RX hard up against the battery another risk with interference?
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Jul 04, 2012, 01:42 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I've always kept ESC, Bat, and RX appart in the past. Isnt there a high risk factor packing the ESC and battery together regards heat transfer, and also having the RX hard up against the battery another risk with interference?
The few flights I've had with this thing would indicate that heat doesn't seem to be a concern. The small holes in the nose appear to give just enough airflow through the compartment to not let things get hot. I'm using 3300, 3s, 30C battery. The battery comes out "luke warm". There's not much space in there, so the ESC gets shoved down beside the battery. I'm using an AR500 (the one with a short wire and a long wire as antennas. It sits on top of the battery at the back. The canopy just barely clicks down onto the magnet. After even a gentle landing, the magnet lets go. I'm going to start using a rubber band on the rear portion of the canopy as I'm beginning to fly it harder as I get more used to it.
Balance becomes a consideration, so re-locating the ESC aft of the fan would require ballast up front. I wish they would have designed the cockpit with more space. A slightly longer or wider nose would have been doable without ruining the overall looks of the plane.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jul 04, 2012, 02:13 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
The few flights I've had with this thing would indicate that heat doesn't seem to be a concern. The small holes in the nose appear to give just enough airflow through the compartment to not let things get hot. I'm using 3300, 3s, 30C battery. The battery comes out "luke warm". There's not much space in there, so the ESC gets shoved down beside the battery. I'm using an AR500 (the one with a short wire and a long wire as antennas. It sits on top of the battery at the back. The canopy just barely clicks down onto the magnet. After even a gentle landing, the magnet lets go. I'm going to start using a rubber band on the rear portion of the canopy as I'm beginning to fly it harder as I get more used to it.
Balance becomes a consideration, so re-locating the ESC aft of the fan would require ballast up front. I wish they would have designed the cockpit with more space. A slightly longer or wider nose would have been doable without ruining the overall looks of the plane.
I've got almost the same set up there xviper and never gets more than luke warm..
Kev
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster