HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:23 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Since i blew up my stock 6 blade zephyr rotor and i am waiting for Scott to advise on replacement spares i have installed a wemo 5 blade rotor into the stock zephyr housing for the interim.
Amp draw on 3s is down to 32A and on 4s is 52A (static bench tests in airframe.)
Measured thrust still seemed pretty good for 3s at around 550g
Will have to wait until the flight test on Saturday to determine if performance is comparable.
Flight times should be better as it is drawing alot less current.
One thing i have noticed on the bench tsting is it doesn't have that same woooosh sound the stock 6 blade rotor.
We'll make sure to capture everything on video (good or bad)
hot many grams of thrust stock? I'm not well versed in edf, but that thrust to weight ratio doesn't sound fun.

How'd you break the stock fan anyway?
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:29 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
My Zephyr-rating on HK has been removed... (I can only imagine it was because of lacking server space ;-))
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:31 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post

How'd you break the stock fan anyway?
let your servo wires get sucked into the fan, go back a couple of pages and watch the video.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is online now Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:07 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aender69 View Post
My Zephyr-rating on HK has been removed... (I can only imagine it was because of lacking server space ;-))
Did you curse the zephyr or rate it with less than 5 stars lol?
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:25 AM
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2009
5,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim350 View Post
Since i blew up my stock 6 blade zephyr rotor and i am waiting for Scott to advise on replacement spares i have installed a wemo 5 blade rotor into the stock zephyr housing for the interim.
Amp draw on 3s is down to 32A and on 4s is 52A (static bench tests in airframe.)
Measured thrust still seemed pretty good for 3s at around 550g
Will have to wait until the flight test on Saturday to determine if performance is comparable.
Flight times should be better as it is drawing alot less current.
One thing i have noticed on the bench tsting is it doesn't have that same woooosh sound the stock 6 blade rotor.
We'll make sure to capture everything on video (good or bad)
That 550g thrust sounds a bit low to me Jim for the weight of the plane, well for handlaunching atleast. I'd be going straight for 4S, if you decide to still try 3S I'll film this time and someone else can chuck it
jbc is offline Find More Posts by jbc
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:40 AM
Joined Aug 2011
793 Posts
From memory we measured around 600g with the stock rotor so i wouldn't think it should be that noticeable. I could prove to be wrong :-)
I would expect eflux could be higher as there is less load on the motor.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:59 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
261 Posts
Quote:
Did you curse the zephyr or rate it with less than 5 stars lol?
Rating was 5-4-5 (ov. rating-value-quality)

Imho it was objective, and I tried not to trample on their marketing efforts etc. Pity I haven't saved the text, I'm too na´ve...
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:27 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
675 Posts
I was very disappointed when I saw the production video. Waaaaaay too overproduced. It actually made me cancel my initial order until I saw other people had it first. They would have won over the rc crowd by doing much less. (not saying that this plane isn't a winner)

I was even more disappointed at hk with the way they handled product questions. They could have been much better with answering questions about the product.

I'm still very happy i purchased this plane. It's a blast to fly.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:31 AM
Don't Move I've Dropped My Nut
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2009
1,645 Posts
Quote:
I was even more disappointed at hk with the way they handled product questions. They could have been much better with answering questions about the product.
???? I did not see any "problems" with their answers...I must be missing something.
bamaguy is offline Find More Posts by bamaguy
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:27 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
675 Posts
when we would question about 3s vs 4s all they would say is "it provided the best balance" (3s) but that really doesn't say much. When I asked for the battery they used during the test videos, they replied 3300-4000. They eventually revealed the battery that was used for some of the video.

My main point is that the Scott was very subjective rather than objective when describing the product.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 02:54 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
They were sidestepping the violent wing oscillation when using 4s.

"We decided 3s was the best option."

lol
It would be hard to come out and say "under no circumstance should 4s be used, it just can't handle the speed".
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:51 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
so .. commiing in this thread after 20 pages.. have yoou all gone 4s as I predicted or not yet?
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoRip View Post
Maiden flight had a receiver brown out (orange receiver w/satellite). It flew perfectly fine this day with a Spektrum receiver w/satellite. I think with the cramped cockpit, large battery, 2.5 ounces lead in the nose and esc that the signal got lost on a straight towards me approach. This is my 2nd flight. I flew a total of 3 times this day.

Spektrum DX8, Blue Lipo 3300mah 40C (extremely tight fit)
The sound alone is worth the $$$ of this plane.

http://youtu.be/E1_TvtFE-H8
don't even think of using the oranges with the 8.especially the ones of the latest batch.. never had any luck with them.. there is a full range 4 channel original spektrum receiver for these planes now for just 25 bucks
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:06 PM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,381 Posts
Hey ya Pav, I use oranges 6 & 7ch with out any issue what so ever and I fly edf's, gliders and warbirds, but I have had brown outs with Spektrum.

Shaun.

Oh that is with DX6i and DX8
Banjofrog is online now Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
futaba oranges are just fine because the actual manufacturer is frsky that's what I was told at least
the first batches of oranges I literally flown them beyond eyesight.. the latest ones are crap and the quality had gone bad.. real bad.. I checked them side by side and there are many diferennces.. between the older and the new versions