HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
This is very frustrating. According to Scott, they tried many configurations. 3S, 4S. Surely they must have encountered this flutter problem somewhere in its development. I think they must have and as a result are telling everyone to stick to 3S due to "balance"
I'd find it hard to believe if they say they didnt have this problem seeing as the first flight on 4S has shown it up so vividly.
ozzi supercub is offline Find More Posts by ozzi supercub
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Aug 2011
160 Posts
can I has a cheezburger?
Mattacks is offline Find More Posts by Mattacks
Last edited by Mattacks; Jun 29, 2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
This is very frustrating. According to Scott, they tried many configurations. 3S, 4S. Surely they must have encountered this flutter problem somewhere in its development. I think they must have and as a result are telling everyone to stick to 3S due to "balance"
I'd find it hard to believe if they say they didnt have this problem seeing as the first flight on 4S has shown it up so vividly.
I don't know why you're frustrated, it should be obvious that this this thing isn't a hotliner.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
I don't know why you're frustrated, it should be obvious that this this thing isn't a hotliner.
I fly this thing like a "luke-warm" liner and I like it that way.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:03 AM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:10 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
Quote:
The 4s configuration we tried was with a lower kv motor....and that should have been obvious....flutter was not an issue during testing because there is no way we would have even considered trying a 3400kv motor on 4s!! We tested 2600kv~2800kv which is far more realistic....flutter had nothing to do with not opting for 4s.....the overall balance of the airframe was the reason for the power train chosen.....because the Zephyr is simply not about going fast in straight lines.

The people that are really getting the Zephyr seem to appreciate that it is very rewarding & exciting to fly, once set up, it is nicely balanced and very precise for a foamy giving it an excellent aerobatic capability, it is a totally different concept from the normal sport and glider models offered, not only in terms of flying but also looks and sound and to really appreciate it, you have to appreciate it's abilities, it's wide flight envelope and the overall experience it offers, which is like nothing else out there....nobody ever said it was a pylon racer, nobody ever said it was a hotliner.....there is so much more to the V-70 than that!
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
I fly this thing like a "luke-warm" liner and I like it that way.
Yep, does what it says on the box, no more no less.

Getting a bit tired of people trying to gain large performance boosts out of foam planes only to start whining when the airframe can't take it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:35 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Well I had some success today and got three flights in (no video, no curse), she is not as fast as I expected, but adequate, as for "Plane of the Year" I have planes that are better all round packages and with the three flights I had this afternoon no it is not, but that is my opinion.

Once I got the trimming out of the way she is a lot easier to launch, just full throttle and push, I used 100% throws on aileron and elevator and 35% expo on aileron and none on elevator ( I forgot to change it), for now I have settled on 80% aileron throw with 30% expo and elevator 70 % throw and 40% expo and I reckon I will change it again. The battery I used is Turnigy blue 3s 3300mah 30-40c, after 5 min flight mostly 3/4 to full throttle the esc was cool and the battery is luke warm and about 15% left of juice.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Old Jun 30, 2012, 01:53 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2012
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdunnster View Post
You consider 100 MPH "not too fast" After 8 flights now, 3 with 4S, and 5 with 3s, you'll be lucky to hit 100 with this airframe, but it's a blast zoomin' around 80mph doing snap rolls.
Nice landing Wretcho.
Kevin
P.S. As far as adding strength to the wings/ailerons, you can try "new stuff" laminate. Goes on clear, apply like monocoat.
Hey Kevin, do you think the new stuff would work on here? I still have some. How did the v70 do at Eldog?
Putter is offline Find More Posts by Putter
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:35 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
The big problem is that modellers rarely leave things the way they are. There is not a single person at my field that flies any of their models stock for very long. When the Zephyr was announced then released, speedfreaks all over the world got excited. Look at how many in this thread started talking about 4S. I would tire very quickly of many of my models if I didnt modify them in one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Yep, does what it says on the box, no more no less.

Getting a bit tired of people trying to gain large performance boosts out of foam planes only to start whining when the airframe can't take it.
I have many many foam models that I've pushed way past their intended limits and have never had a catastrophic failure. I have a bone stock Funjet with upgraded motor that does 130+mph. It handles it with ease. I have an ARC Mig15 with 1000 watts. No mods, no probs. I have a Parkzone BF109 with twice the stock power, again no probs. I could go on. My point is that a minor increase in performance has shown up a problem. This has the potential to cause catastrophic failure. My friend will be maidening his tomorrow morning, weather permitting, and we will video what happens.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:39 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
The big problem is that modellers rarely leave things the way they are. There is not a single person at my field that flies any of their models stock for very long. When the Zephyr was announced then released, speedfreaks all over the world got excited. Look at how many in this thread started talking about 4S. I would tire very quickly of many of my models if I didnt modify them in one way or another.

I have many many foam models that I've pushed way past their intended limits and have never had a catastrophic failure. I have a bone stock Funjet with upgraded motor that does 130+mph. It handles it with ease. I have an ARC Mig15 with 1000 watts. No mods, no probs. I have a Parkzone BF109 with twice the stock power, again no probs. I could go on. My point is that a minor increase in performance has shown up a problem. This has the potential to cause catastrophic failure. My friend will be maidening his tomorrow morning, weather permitting, and we will video what happens.
Not saying performance can't/shouldn't be increased, just saying don't moan if the stock airframe can't take it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 02:50 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
So a 20mph increase in speed is asking to much of an airframe then?
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:11 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
So a 20mph increase in speed is asking to much of an airframe then?
If it takes it over the limit, then yes. You do realise that all airframes have a limit?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:20 AM
WiggleWiggleWiggle
South Australia
Joined Jan 2008
6,066 Posts
Yes I do. It seems this ones limit is very low.
Also, how do you suppose the limits of these models is found? Should it say on the box how fast to fly it? The limits are found by people pushing the boundaries. Wretcho did this and to his credit discovered a potentially fatal problem.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 03:25 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,994 Posts
Quote:
Yes I do. It seems this ones limit is very low.
Also, how do you suppose the limits of these models is found? Should it say on the box how fast to fly it? The limits are found by people pushing the boundaries. Wretcho did this and to his credit discovered a potentially fatal problem.
This plane is sold as seen, with no promise to fulfil your modding desires. Some modding experiments end in disappointment - get over it!
RCG Plus Member