HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:27 AM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
New Point of Order

You are not allowed to post to us poor yanks if you are from Australia and don't say the word "kangaroo". In that same vaine, it also gives the rights that our Brit friends have to use the words "wence, hence" and other similiar terms that seem to be proper in the Queens English.

I also believe the question of measuring the COG from on top or bottom of the wing is determined by being above or below the equator??? :-)

hey, youse guys with this new bird, just keep keeping us posted so we know what to do when slow boatload #2 arrives here in the USA. Thanks....

Sorry to you Brit guys about that whole little dust-up thing in the 1770's.
lotsaturbulence is offline Find More Posts by lotsaturbulence
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:34 AM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
If this power system is asking mid 40 amps, lets say 50 amps down hill... (remembering this is all static and probably close to +20% more then what this airframe will incur with it's sleek frame)

Recommended Lipo is a 3300 30c, basic and rough amp napkin math is MAH x C discharge= best possible amp rate.
3.3x30=99amps.

This ignores voltage ect, that is another story. So in my basic rough guesstimate math, you could go 2200mah 3s 45c, you would lose run time but still pump roughly the same amps. You'd also lose *roughly* 75 grams, from reports people are chasing weight up the front so I don't know if this will be an ideal decision.
I'm running 4s so, who has two thumbs and doesn't care....
ME
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:42 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
If this power system is asking mid 40 amps, lets say 50 amps down hill... (remembering this is all static and probably close to +20% more then what this airframe will incur with it's sleek frame)

Recommended Lipo is a 3300 30c, basic and rough amp napkin math is MAH x C discharge= best possible amp rate.
3.3x30=99amps.

This ignores voltage ect, that is another story. So in my basic rough guesstimate math, you could go 2200mah 3s 45c, you would lose run time but still pump roughly the same amps. You'd also lose *roughly* 75 grams, from reports people are chasing weight up the front so I don't know if this will be an ideal decision.
I'm running 4s so, who has two thumbs and doesn't care....
ME
Remember you mAh is going to go down during the flight. I am still looking for good nano-tech batteries, may be 3300 35C I rather rave tail heavy for my first flight that nose heavy.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
Remember you mAh is going to go down during the flight. I am still looking for good nano-tech batteries, may be 3300 35C I rather rave tail heavy for my first flight that nose heavy.
Hence "best possible amp rate"
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:14 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix racing View Post
Hmmmmm, wings were not level Shaun, can't see if you had any up elevator fed in but that would be a no, no....launch needs to be wings level, full power, very slightly nose up and hard push as opposed to throw......see vid....I have never yet failed to launch a Zephyr in hundreds of flights.

The Zephyr will fly out of your hand with little more than a push on a 3300mAh pack in the nose, as indicated already (30c min as common sense should dictate) it will fly well but may not be to your personal taste.....THEN add noseweight if desired.

The set up in the video is 3300mAh 3s 30c Turnigy or 4000mAh Zippy Compact in the nose.....no additional noseweight.....the exception is the flight footage of the all white test models which flew with the same packs and as much as 60g in the nose to experiment with C of G.....so there is no reason yours would not go that I can see unless it was a bad launch......and I have to agree with Aender69....it was a stall.
I hope this is the correct battery.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21360
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:40 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Australia, WA, Parkerville
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Ok here are some answers, I have recently got a DX8 and I selected "normal wing" and "V Tail" I plugged one servo into rudder and the other into elevator and all worked normal, I left at 100% throws on the Tx and 35% expo, I thought I had full throttle as I did read it in the manual, Pav the white piece that came off the wing is the servo arm cover, so people check yours as some are not glued.
I have had a good look and repair won't be hard, but beware that if you land and touch wing tip first the same damage is likely to happen. I dunno about the rest. When repaired I will try again with out the extra nose weight and see how I go, Scott you know I did not give up with the Vampire and The Black Swan is still fying so I won't give up on the Zephyr because I believe it suits that place I have been flying, I have joined a club in the suburbs but they are not aloud to us edf because of noise.

Shaun.
Banjofrog is offline Find More Posts by Banjofrog
Last edited by Banjofrog; Jun 23, 2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Yokine?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:24 AM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Is that Australian for kangaroo????
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:37 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Yokine?
Every Sunday morning just off Alexander Road, come over and check us out "electric only"

Shaun.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
700 Posts
what do u guys think?
These:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-25c-3300-3s1p.html
287 grams
Or these
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3300-3s1p-40c-3333.html
296 grams
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjofrog View Post
Every Sunday morning just off Alexander Road, come over and check us out "electric only"

Shaun.
Have just recently joined, think I'll be more of a mid week visitor there as it's very close to home. Fly with friends on the weekends
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:11 AM
Geez That's A Big Fly
Joined Sep 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Have just recently joined, think I'll be more of a mid week visitor there as it's very close to home. Fly with friends on the weekends
That's where I will be tomorrow morning, I have a P51 to maiden.

Shaun.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:42 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzi supercub View Post
Whether you balance a model inverted or not does not make any difference. I have done both and never noticed any difference. If you did launch it at half throttle then thats probably the main reason it didnt get on step and fly away. I will be suggesting to my friend to mount the ESC in that cutout behind the fan. Removing some foam and burying it with just the heatsink being exposed.
I'm with you on this one. You and I may be in the minority here. RC modelers can tend to be extremely anal about all kinds of stuff. Many of the guys where I fly will change to a different battery between flights (different size and weight) and just before they take to the air, they do a quick balance with a finger under each wing at where the CG is supposed to be. I've done it often myself. The initial part of the flight is the trimming phase. Any slight off balance can easily be compensated for by a few clicks of the appropriate trim tab. I mean, that's those little slider buttons on the TX is for, isn't it?
Scot knows well from the Vampire thread that people fly that plane with the CG as published and there are those who fly it with the CG 20+ mm different. They all fly. I fly my Vampire with 2 vastly different sizes of batteries. Both pushed up as far forward as possible. The only difference is the number of clicks on the trim tab.
Then there's the guy in the X8 thread who states that he had to move his CG 5mm. Note that this is a HUGE wing, so 5mm might represent a few clicks of trim at most. Another guy says wing are very sensitive to CG and he even had one that didn't fly if the CG was varied by +/- 1mm. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one. Unless that plane was a total of 10mm long, 1mm shouldn't make any difference. Of course, maybe his TX had no trim tabs. It's just really hard to believe. There's got to be something else going with these people and their planes.
Banjofrog, thank you very much for having the courage to post a vid of a failed first flight. Some guys would be just too embarrassed to do it. Like you, I could care less. People learn from stuff like that. In looking at your vid, I just think it was a simple case of the plane not having enough airspeed (or you couldn't get your thumb on the stick fast enough) and it just plain stalled. I've done that lots with my Funjet. Not enough power, wrong angle of toss, wrong trim setting. Funjet actually tells you to add several clicks of UP elevator for the toss and then trim it out once it gets flying. My U2 EDF spy plane was the same way but worse. I could not throw it and get my thumb on the elevator and aileron stick fast enough. Only when I had someone else throw it for me, that I could get it into the air. I used to hate hand tossers but I'm getting better at them now.
That first flight on a hand tosser can be most difficult. It won't fly till it's trimmed right but until you get it to fly, you can't trim it. Catch 22. I'm having the same problem currently with my BD-5. I'm going to go to the top of a good size hill (a near cliff would be best) and toss it so I can have some altitude to give me time to trim it.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:53 PM
Northwest Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2012
44 Posts
Don't get too close to the edge xviper. Remember, the wind will be at your back??? :-)
Old Jun 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
700 Posts
I wonder if belly takeoffs will work with this.
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002