HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:47 PM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Well that seems simple enough! No 'size of cup' dimensional concerns/goals, then? Have any test results / meaningful comparisons to stock config been published?
Nope, just qualitative anecdotes. Generally, quieter, faster, less thrust.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:16 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,400 Posts
Thanks Scotty & JJ too. I'll jam some conical stuff in thar & see what happens.
(Now, where'd I put that set of Dollar Tree funnels?)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:41 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,601 Posts
Star, there's a bunch of stuff on EDF thrust tubes if you search around including calculators etc. More than you would ever want to know. The take away message is I think that the sound changes, the thrust drops off a bit (lower acceleration) but the speed goes up a bit.

My reading of it all is that the max. restriction should be no more than 80%. That is the area of the arse end should not be less than 80% of the area swept by the fan blades. You can calculate the percentage by dividing the dia. of the tube output squared by the difference between the dia of the fan squared and the dia. of the motor mounting squared.

Alternatively use the time honored aeronautical design method - suck it and see.

JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Thanks Scotty & JJ too. I'll jam some conical stuff in thar & see what happens.
(Now, where'd I put that set of Dollar Tree funnels?)
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:41 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,400 Posts
Rah-jo, JJ.....now there's an answer I can -- hate to say 'wrap my head around' but....
will sure be helpful in optimizing!
Noted well, and THANKS!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:30 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,840 Posts
I think it is time to break my V70 out of the mould and strip the decals off and go for a custom paint job. Fly this weekend stock and then get prepped I think!
BennyT is online now Find More Posts by BennyT
Last edited by BennyT; Feb 22, 2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,840 Posts
Packs charged ready to head out in the morning - anyone get a good fly in today?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:56 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post
Packs charged ready to head out in the morning - anyone get a good fly in today?
Low pressure system hitting the east coast. Too wet and windy here.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,840 Posts
Not good to hear - see how we go in the morning.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:09 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
698 Posts
I feel terrible. Ever since I redid my zephyr for 6s I have not flown it. Only a little bench testing. Its not the wrlorst thing ever- as long as its shelved, I can't crash it!
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:46 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
I feel terrible. Ever since I redid my zephyr for 6s I have not flown it. Only a little bench testing. Its not the wrlorst thing ever- as long as its shelved, I can't crash it!
And you'll never know for sure if something will disintegrate or burn up on re-entry.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:52 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
as long as its shelved, I can't crash it!
Not entirely true if your clumsy like me. I've tripped over my Goshawk once in my garage busting off the vertical stab, and another time I busted an aircraft putting it in the car. I guess the shelf is pretty safe though.

Mick
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:36 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,840 Posts
Yeah I always catch the vtail of the V70 putting it in the boot!

On the weekend I experienced 2 things that were not fun (a) tip stall (buggered the nose up again) and (2) orientation loss.

No 2 was the worst as I had to fly around behind myself at speed and had no idea what way I was up as I had to fly behind a tree for a sec and a half - anyway recovered and came out OK but had a full pair of jocks when I was done. PHEW!

Anyway after that pack and the wind getting up I didn't fly pack 3 as I thought I would be pushing my luck, better to walk away in one piece....

B
Old Feb 26, 2013, 03:03 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post

On the weekend I experienced 2 things that were not fun (a) tip stall (buggered the nose up again) and (2) orientation loss.

B
Funny you should mention the tip. I had become so comfortable with flying my V70 I got caught with a tip stall when I let the air speed drop to low when climbing out of a pass a few weeks ago resulting my first hard nose in crash with this aircraft. It took me a few hours work to bring her back flight ready. The battery was the only write of as it was a train wreck. Made mental note "very low pass, with steep climb out, does not leave much altitude for stall recovery"

Oh well, I got cocky and sloppy and paid the price

Mick
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:28 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
272 Posts
Dead Zephyr's EDF recycled

Proof of concept:
Attached are some photos of an upgrade to this rather underpowered Mig 15 available from HK http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Red_PNF_.html.
The 70mm EDF from the Zephyr was almost a drop in replacement. Upped the original ESC from 45A to 60A. Went to a 4000maH nanotech 5 cell. 1st flight test flight time caught me by surprise. Came in dead stick at 3 minutes? Had the timer set for 3:10
How did it fly? It was a thing of beauty!! Coupled with that unique Zephyr sound (but different) Amazing stuff!
Where is the flight footage you may ask?
Well forced landings on a salt lake can result in loose debris, rocks etc. Thought I got all the rocks out of the fuselage during the subsequent repair session. Sadly, I was wrong.
2nd test flight. Spooling up, just starting to taxi, a stray bit of salt lake went through the impeller, throwing shredded plastic out the back of the plane at an impressive rate!!
Anyway, new Zephyr EDF is on my wish list. Hopefully, successful flight footage will then result??
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Last edited by GavDorro; Feb 26, 2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:40 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,840 Posts
Nice! Bet that would have gone like the preverbial 'shower' ....