SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:07 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,730 Posts
Well I made it back (and so did the V70 ) in one piece. So tired after a long day but the flights were a hoot - no major dramas.

I will post a rundown at a later date - but man can't wait to get back out again!

Ben
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:56 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
Has anyone run into any noise complaints with the V-70.

An RC Flying Club not too far from my club, has run into noise restriction issues and my club is trying to be proactive in this area...setting up certain guidelines for this coming season.

I have a V-70 that I haven't, as yet flown. So just curious as to anyone running into any club/noise related issues with their V-70.

Thanks,
-mike-
The guys at my flying field call my V70 the "Hoover". It's probably the most distinctive sounding plane there and about the noisiest. They don't care because the flying field is on native land and they make their own rules.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,730 Posts
Yes it is a loud beast - if you were flying anywhere near a built up area I could see some issues cruisin around with this thing!

Bit of a rundown from yesterday's maiden;

(1) I stressed way too much about the launch - it was way easier than I thought although I did give it quite a decent throw!

(2) Ended up going with 6x 20c pieces (for you brits and yanks that is about 67g) in the nose as 77 (or $1.40 AUD) was a bit too much.

(3) Battery was 3300Mah and I put the ESC on top of it underneath the canopy - both were warm (not hot) when I bought it down (but flew most of the pack on 2/3 - 3/4 throttle)

(4) Trimmed a bit of up elev in to get it flying nicely - had a fair breeze when we flew.

(5) It does like a fairly long approach glide (my instructor mate bought it in dead flat and in a nice run on the 1st pack - on the second pack 'someone' cut the corner of the approach, came in mid field and then touched down about 12ft inside the boundary fence - then the nose was arrested by the boundary wire! Note to self - investigate the spoileron option to pull it up.

(6) Flight times was on the 5 minute mark - first pack forgot to set the timer and I ended up running out of puff almost - you could hear the throttle drop off easy (best part about it being noisy!)

(7) LOVE THE SOUND!!

(8) NEED MORE PACKS!! A real hoot to fly and had an absolute blast. Going to look into John's bungee launch option too.

SUMMARY: Not really the rocket ship it was hyped up to be (IMHO) I am a bit past beginner - more intermediate pilot and thought this thing may have been a bit more blistering fast than what it is. To anyone a bit concerned that it will be too fast for their skill level (as intermediate pilots) I found this fairly tame to control, not too twitchy and easy to land. You just need the room to fly it. I have also heard some of you guys mention about the elevators being overly responsive but I actually thought that they actually needed a bit of work to do what you wanted - once again my thoughts only. I flew the thing on 25% expo and 100% throws - had 100, 90, 80 set up on the switches but never used them. I would back off the 25% expo a tad maybe but need some more flights under the belt to get the real feel. The nice banking turns are great and got a lovely loop over in and it looks very graceful. I am very happy with the first time out (except that it was too short.) Will try and get some pics / vid up soon.

Ben
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:56 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
If you find yourself laying on the ground gingerly holding your nuts, you went to far.
I am still laughing about this post Scott 3 weeks later - I was thinking about the bungee launch ramp today and this sprang straight back into my head. LOL

@John - how long are the top struts and how wide is the launcher? Can you give us some overall and piece by piece dimensions or is that asking too much? Plus does the servo on the launch hinge have to be hi torque?

Regards

Ben
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:04 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, MI, Hell
Joined May 2009
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post
I am still laughing about this post Scott 3 weeks later - I was thinking about the bungee launch ramp today and this sprang straight back into my head. LOL

@John - how long are the top struts and how wide is the launcher? Can you give us some overall and piece by piece dimensions or is that asking too much? Plus does the servo on the launch hinge have to be hi torque?

Regards

Ben
Not even going to tell how I learned this.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:44 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,374 Posts
Ben it was precision designed using the well proven TLAR (that looks about right) method combined with the cheapskate rule. Cut the whole thing out of two 2m (6ft) lengths of pipe without any wastage.

One 25mm (1") pipe provided the two rails and all the rest was made from one 19mm (3/4") pipe. The outer dia of 19mm pipe fittings is almost exactly 25mm so there are no bumps at the end of the rails.

The rails ended up 350mm spaced apart and the uprights are 210 and 360mm .

Any old servo will do as the load is downwards onto the shaft not against the turning force which only has to overcome the friction of the plastic arm sliding on the metal hinge.

Great use for that daggy ancient servo with the broken off lugs you meant to throw out since neither size nor speed matter - and what is the worst that can happen if it doesn't work?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post

Regards

Ben
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:34 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,730 Posts
Thanks John - project now officially has green light.....
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:18 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,046 Posts
Yeah....thanx for the info! Been thinking about something like this for awhile.....might go ahead with the project!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:02 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
687 Posts
Anyone interested in a 6s setup for a zephyr, I haven't had enough to fly mine so its just sitting on the shelf.....
dcame002 is online now Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:54 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,730 Posts
You know I was seriously considering the bungee launch system and got out on the weekend for a fly. I ended up hand launching the machine myself and didn't really notice any problems from the outset with launch. In fact my prob seems to be with a good landing!

First approach I came in too long and didn't wash off enough speed, went for a go around and the EDF didn't kick in before the tip stall as I banked out and the nose went in - soft grass etc but still a little bent up in the nose.

Second approach I left it wider and longer but it just kept going - got it down but the wing caught a little in the grass. Have noticed that the bolt mounting holes have come a little loose now and the wing shifts about 5mm either way.

I am going to cut out the mount and then epoxy it back in place so nice and firm. Would be interested on other standard mods people are doing too.

Gonna concentrate on putting some more packs through before committing to the bungee cord.

I really loved some of the big loops and rolls I was getting out of this on Sunday and as the wind was up a bit I was also managing some quite good 'hang' time.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
395 Posts
anyone noise tested this plane?
apriliamgt is offline Find More Posts by apriliamgt
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:38 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,046 Posts
Hi guys;
Still haven't completed reading the whole thread yet, but something's come up. I've searched but didn't find, info regarding 'thrust cone' mods I've seen some pix of guys doing on the Zeph. Can someone point me to where this was covered in here?
TIA!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Feb 18, 2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:53 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, MI, Hell
Joined May 2009
6,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Hi guys;
Still haven't completed reading the whole thread yet, but something's come up. I've searched but didn't find, info regarding 'thrust cone' mods I've seen some pix of guys doing on the Zeph. Can someone point me to where this was covered in here?
TIA!
Jam a starbucks cup over the output of the motor. Just remember to remove the bottom of the cup. (I'm sort of simplifying here, but that's the jist of what you do)
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:55 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,374 Posts
Here's a picture somebody posted earlier - sorry can't remember who it was.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:19 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,046 Posts
Well that seems simple enough! No 'size of cup' dimensional concerns/goals, then? Have any test results / meaningful comparisons to stock config been published?
RCG Plus Member