HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,715 Posts
You know what! I think you guys that know this stuff should start a thread on these catapults. I just happened on this thread, and now see this launcher that I'd like to have for my stryker! Is there a thread on launchers?
Thanks
Mitchie is offline Find More Posts by Mitchie
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:08 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,278 Posts
Most people say 3x to 4x the unstretched length of th erubber. Depends how much oomph you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin View Post
Thanks for the idea and pics.

I've got one about to maiden..... as soon as travel and crappy weather allow me a day to get out.....

Never bungeed anything before. How far do you stretch the darn thing??
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:13 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,278 Posts
There are quite a few scattered around. Do a search on catapult launcher. And catapault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
You know what! I think you guys that know this stuff should start a thread on these catapults. I just happened on this thread, and now see this launcher that I'd like to have for my stryker! Is there a thread on launchers?
Thanks
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:19 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin View Post
How far do you stretch the darn thing??
If you find yourself laying on the ground gingerly holding your nuts, you went to far.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:37 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
230 Posts
Zephyr write off

Well it was a lot of fun. It had already suffered 2 partial rebuilds, but this time there is no coming back.
What happened?
One of the aileron foam hinges finally decided to part from the wing. My own fault. I saw it happening over a few weeks and just did the Australian thing and said
"she'll be right!"
I was wrong......It let go mid flight and the zephyr ploughed into the salt lake. You know things aren't good when you have to pick up the motor 2 metres away from the fuselage!
Lesson learned. It IS a fast flyer. It DOES pull a few G's. The foam hinges DO fail eventually!

I note that the ARF version is now in the local warehouse......
I will be re-hinging mk II sooner rather than later......
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:16 AM
.--troll-o-copter--.
United Kingdom, Warks
Joined Jun 2012
214 Posts
I have a BNIB Zephyr PNF for sale in Warwickshire UK. PM me if you're interested. 90 if you collect.
phoxache is offline Find More Posts by phoxache
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:06 AM
"We gave them the bird...."
Australia, SA, Athelstone
Joined Jan 2011
1,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
+1

I learned to fly helis first too and you have the orientation skills but planks don't slow down and this one in particular would be a handful because it's fast. If you slow it down like you would a heli it doesn't respond as it needs speed to be controlled (air over control surfaces). I'm sure you knew that as I did but it's very different to experience it when flying. Then there is the main thing, landing. Completely different skill and the Zephyr glides and glides making it tricky to land for a 1st plane. If it was me I would start with a trainer to get it all down, it would just be more fun. I started with a warbird and crashed it many times learning to land. Good luck!
OK I didn't listen - well I sort of did. I bought a wing wing Z84 about 3 mths back and have been flying that heaps to learn orientation and hand launches and landings on the belly etc.

I know that they are not the same beast but I figure any stick time I have is beneficial. I have also put nav lights on the Z84 and have been doing some dusk flying and into the darkness as it is challenging (all in a controlled area of course!) Check out post #229 here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...701769&page=16

Well, anyway, had my birthday on the 18th and of course the Mrs says buy yourself what you want and with a free reign like that the V70 was next on my list.

Guess what came this afternoon ?? Just breaking it out the box now and all I can say is WOW I did not think the EDF was that large just from checking out the pics.

Lucky I have an instructor mate to help me with this little handful when I maiden.

Where do I fit my battery? the 3300 3S is a tight fit and to get the ESC and the RX in there too? Serious?

Hmmmm......
BennyT is offline Find More Posts by BennyT
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:11 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post
Where do I fit my battery? the 3300 3S is a tight fit and to get the ESC and the RX in there too? Serious?

Hmmmm......
You have to do some creative arranging. In mine .............. ESC on its edge along the side, with the battery also on edge next to ESC. RX sits on top of the battery at the rear, run the antenna out the top (between foam and canopy) with a piece of velcro to prevent it from getting sucked into the fan.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:42 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,649 Posts
Well tail and wing were glued last night and I only have the electronics to do tonight - have to try and find some spare XT60's as my batts came with bullets on them.

Not sure when the maiden will be but also have my new DX8 to try out that I got this week too.

That placement looks really tight XVIPER but I will try and get a little creative...

I am seriously thinking about running 2 channels for the ailerons AL and AR but has anyone played with this before...?

Ben
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:41 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyT View Post
Well tail and wing were glued last night and I only have the electronics to do tonight - have to try and find some spare XT60's as my batts came with bullets on them.

Not sure when the maiden will be but also have my new DX8 to try out that I got this week too.

That placement looks really tight XVIPER but I will try and get a little creative...

I am seriously thinking about running 2 channels for the ailerons AL and AR but has anyone played with this before...?

Ben
I think that's a good idea -- especially if you need to slow it to land or have a short field.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,649 Posts
Would you mix in some down elev with some up elev like dive rudder - just a small setting or would you do it vice versa - up ail and down elev? Slow it down a tad and then switch off just above the strip to avoid catching the ailerons if down?

B
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:00 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Jan 2012
29 Posts
Hi guys. I hope you can quickly advise me of this simple issue.

I have just received my Zephyr and as I was connecting everything to the receiver to test the parts, I noticed that the servo connectors from the 4 servos don't have the slightly shaved corners on one side that I am used to seeing. This prevents these wires from plugging into my receiver which is keyed for that little shaved part.

You'll see what I mean in the screenshot. I am holding one of the wires from the servos and comparing it to the plug on the ESC noting that slightly smoothed edge.

Is it as simple as shaving the edge myself. It will be very awkward to have to solder new connectors on

Thanks very much
mahd is offline Find More Posts by mahd
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:04 AM
Joined Aug 2011
789 Posts
Yes if you need to shave the connector with a hobby knife.
jim350 is offline Find More Posts by jim350
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:45 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,649 Posts
Razor blade will fix that mate no dramas. Just fired up my EDF for the first time in the shed and OMG the noise!!
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:20 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Jan 2012
29 Posts
Yeah this didn't stop me connecting up the battery and motor to experience the IMMENSE sound this unit produces as the ESC connector is the one which fits!

I am blown away (no pun intended) by the sound and air movement!

I know it is probably quite regular for an EDF but I only have the SkySurfer (basically a bixler) and this is my second RC plane. It is a beauty too. I find the aesthetics very appealing and can't wait to get it to the field. That said, I'm pretty nervous as well. I imagine my first few flights being very boring and safe.
mahd is offline Find More Posts by mahd