Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:19 AM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
5,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Where are you located, as I destroyed my Zephyr and was thinking of purchasing a new body, wings & tail since they become available.

I'm in IL USA
if you're getting that much.. consider the ARF -- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...33mm_ARF_.html
$99.79 + $50 shipping

Or get the PNF from the U.S.A for $150 -- + $12 shipping.

Getting Body, Wings and Tail will cost the same or more then the AFR from China along with shipping -- If you include the decals and shipping it's like $145.

If you buy the PNF from the U.S.A. you'll have it toot sweet and it will be receiver ready -- but for only about $15 to $20 more than the other options -- but you could save $6 on the part route if you didn't get the decals.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2011
96 Posts
I'm in VT and would be happy to overpay for a canopy if you or anybody else has one or buys a fuselage and doesn't need the canopy. Let me know
supertoyz is offline Find More Posts by supertoyz
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:53 AM
Joined May 2009
5,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertoyz View Post
I'm in VT and would be happy to overpay for a canopy if you or anybody else has one or buys a fuselage and doesn't need the canopy. Let me know
Yep, it;s time the 3D printer became a standard hobby tool.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:43 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
So you think I would like this thing Scott or is it to slow?
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:05 AM
Joined May 2009
5,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
So you think I would like this thing Scott or is it to slow?
It's not fast by your standards. But it's is really cool looking and also has crazy turbine like sound. I think if the wings were reinforced like a ritewing you might be able to put a 6S 10 blade fan in it and then you'd get your rocks off for sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:03 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
It's not fast by your standards. But it's is really cool looking and also has crazy turbine like sound. I think if the wings were reinforced like a ritewing you might be able to put a 6S 10 blade fan in it and then you'd get your rocks off for sure.
Uh I wish i had time to fly this thing. I been so preoccupied with rotorcraft (new tricopter and micro heli). I'm surprised that no one else has attempted 6s on the zephyr, or at least a permanent 4s setup.

I forgot to mention. I also did this as reinforcement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
Finished my custom battery compartment. I gained about 1-2 cm from removing the bottom foam. I'm thinking of wrapping the tail in a thin layer of glass tissue...
Looks a bit different now because it's sanded smooth.
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:29 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
I had my hopes set to high I believe Scott. I was hoping for Adrenaline Rush performance out of this plane which obviously isn't going to happen at this price point. (The Adrenaline Rush is a 24 inch balsa winged stick fuse plane that does 95 with my power system for those that don't know what they are.) After reading some more about the Zephyr last night I honestly think the best way to fly it is on 3s like it was designed for. It looks to be a decent sport/park flyer with a few small mods for a really attractive price. If you want hair on fire fast out of a plane there are better options out there.

How is your dad doing Scott ? Shoot me a PM on here or Facebook please.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
I have the Zephyr and fly it all stock. It is a lot of fun and is a great grab and go flyer. I didn't have to reinforce anything until after I had crashed it (oops), and even then it was a quick fix. The only trouble I'm having is slowing it down for landing. We live in an area where there is always wind and she loves to be up but doesn't like to come back down!
ZombieJB is offline Find More Posts by ZombieJB
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:10 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieJB View Post
I have the Zephyr and fly it all stock. It is a lot of fun and is a great grab and go flyer. I didn't have to reinforce anything until after I had crashed it (oops), and even then it was a quick fix. The only trouble I'm having is slowing it down for landing. We live in an area where there is always wind and she loves to be up but doesn't like to come back down!
It's a fast lander. That's just the nature of this plane. If you want to slow it down for the landing, you have to land it into a good wind. Otherwise, you have to plan a long approach and know when to stall it just before touch down.
xviper is online now Find More Posts by xviper
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:24 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance View Post
I had my hopes set to high I believe Scott. I was hoping for Adrenaline Rush performance out of this plane which obviously isn't going to happen at this price point. (The Adrenaline Rush is a 24 inch balsa winged stick fuse plane that does 95 with my power system for those that don't know what they are.) After reading some more about the Zephyr last night I honestly think the best way to fly it is on 3s like it was designed for. It looks to be a decent sport/park flyer with a few small mods for a really attractive price. If you want hair on fire fast out of a plane there are better options out there.

How is your dad doing Scott ? Shoot me a PM on here or Facebook please.
It does 87 on a 4s battery....not too far off - just make sure u shift cg forward
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined May 2009
5,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieJB View Post
Set up the ailerons on separate channels and try using flaperons to slow it or spoilerons to set it down hot. You'll need to mix in some elevator with the deployment either way. It will need some experimenting to get it right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:28 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
Finally maidened the Zephry, well sort of. First launch and it veered violently to the left and into the ground and expecting the worse but to the Zephrys credit was okay. Second launch more or less the same so before the third launch added some right trim and this time after still a hairy launch managed to get airborne. Having balanced the cg spot on i found i had to put a lot of elevator trim in to get it to fly straight and level but after doing so found it to fly well. just wondering if being nose heavy to start with gave me a disadvantage when launching but wondering why the turn to the left.Any thoughts on this
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:36 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees View Post
Finally maidened the Zephry, well sort of. First launch and it veered violently to the left and into the ground and expecting the worse but to the Zephrys credit was okay. Second launch more or less the same so before the third launch added some right trim and this time after still a hairy launch managed to get airborne. Having balanced the cg spot on i found i had to put a lot of elevator trim in to get it to fly straight and level but after doing so found it to fly well. just wondering if being nose heavy to start with gave me a disadvantage when launching but wondering why the turn to the left.Any thoughts on this
It has been noted in a couple places in this long thread, that to more successfully launch this plane, one needs to apply between 6 - 12 clicks of UP trim just for the launch. Once up and flying, remove the trim as needed for level flight. Also, when maidening this plane, it's always nice to have someone else launch it for you so you can have your fingers on the sticks from the start. Additionally, FULL power is needed for launch.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:19 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,539 Posts
Will try the trim but on the maiden flight i used full power and had some one launch the Zephry for me.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:44 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees View Post
Will try the trim but on the maiden flight i used full power and had some one launch the Zephry for me.
Go for high ground and someone with plane throwing experience. A bad tosser can also spell disaster.