HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,472 Posts
Been flying mine with 2 batteries. Both are 3300mah, 3S. 1 is 25C, the other is 30-40C. No difference. I sometimes fly "pedal to the metal" and sometimes take it up high and glide it down, repeat. No difference in battery performance.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:35 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
926 Posts
Zephyr V-70 - Overly Pitch sensitive?

Each time I watch a video of the Zephyr V-70 flying it appears to me...to be more CG/Pitch sensitive then other designs..

As long as you have some speed your OK...but slow it down and it appears to get pitch sensitive, leading many times to a stall. Tail heavy maybe..

Thoughts..?

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:21 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
Each time I watch a video of the Zephyr V-70 flying it appears to me...to be more CG/Pitch sensitive then other designs..

As long as you have some speed your OK...but slow it down and it appears to get pitch sensitive, leading many times to a stall. Tail heavy maybe..

Thoughts..?

-mike-
A friend of mine had his expo dialled in the wrong way, as soon as he worked out his error it smoothed out nicely. He is not one to be too perdantic re: cg using various batts 3 and 4s. For mine the best improvement he made to his was to add a thrust tube, got his launchs away no hassle, so I didn't have to toss it for him, having that fan scream in my ear. The tube quietened it down too. There's no space up front to move much, and he doesn't add weight, sometimes it appears to flare a little, approaching stall speed I guess, wind? Try move your cg a little forward if you can, fly inverted and check. Good luck
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:08 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo47 View Post
I often run a 2800mah 30c Zippy without any issue so far. I think battery choice varies so much for different pilots flying styles. If you fly the Zephyr flat out constantly like an EDF jet then you need a higher battery spec, but if you just power up to gain altitude as in glider flight you can get away with a much lower battery spec.

Mick
Still need to be a little careful.... even when gliding!.....Both my power outages/ crashes occured whilst applying 1/3rd throttle straight after a glide approach.....
I have OVERspecced it now as I did not want to get caught short again. 3300, 45/90 Nanotechs have not let me down since.
GavDorro is online now Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post

Thoughts..?

-mike-
The Zephyr goes slow???!

Seriously though - I am running a bit of weight in the nose. The lead post cut off an old car battery to be exact....Seems to give good balance, great inverted flight, serious glide speed and no nasty stall tendancies that I can see?
GavDorro is online now Find More Posts by GavDorro
Last edited by GavDorro; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:03 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2011
70 Posts
Zephyr V70 inspection,build and maiden.

Hello all zephyr v70 fans
B4 putting the model together like most ppl i like to inspect all the parts and found a few things needed attention the white rods running down each side of the fuzz need gluing into place,wing dowels needed gluing as well plus canopy magnets on the fuzz very minor and an easy fix.I Managed to fit a 3,900 mah 3s lipo without any issues and calibrate the esc to the throttle on my tx. To the flying field full throttle applied and a firm lob saw the zephyr a way a couple of right clicks on the aileron saw her fly level.As for speed well I'm used to f5d pylon racers say no more.......But this model excels in the aerobatic department nice slow graceful maneuvers, take it up high shut the power and soar and of course that turbine like sound. All said I'm very pleased with my zephyr.
pollster is offline Find More Posts by pollster
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:14 PM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Nice one Pollster, its a fun aircraft. Dont forget a drop of CA on your control surface horns as they will eventually separate, and dont go full travel on your elevator surface or it tends to tear the foam hinge.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:52 PM
Lipo Burner
United States, FL, Sunrise
Joined Mar 2012
691 Posts
Finished my custom battery compartment. I gained about 1-2 cm from removing the bottom foam. I'm thinking of wrapping the tail in a thin layer of glass tissue...
dcame002 is offline Find More Posts by dcame002
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:27 PM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
691 Posts
Did some cg testing with all of my equipment on the plane and i;m 64 mm from leading edge. Will the plane fly like a rock? what are you guys' experienced flying this bird nose heavy?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:43 PM
|Taranis|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcame002 View Post
Did some cg testing with all of my equipment on the plane and i;m 64 mm from leading edge. Will the plane fly like a rock? what are you guys' experienced flying this bird nose heavy?
You need a healthy level hand launch -- consider an ear plug on the side you launch from. It's a bit easy to stall if you try to horse it up -- so let it get speed and then enjoy the ride. A bit nose heavy is far preferable to any tail heavy. I use 3 cell 3000 mah but also needed 21 grams of lead inside of the canopy.

Also suggest using a strap to hold the battery in -- if you plan any inverted flight -- don't ask me how I know.

I flew it several times at a end of the year fun fly this weekend .... and there was tons of interest as the winds were into the high 20's mph and it still flew like a champ.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:17 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
700 Posts
Yep, I second the strap idea. I lost the battery 100 feet high inverted and down it came. Just a little damage to the nose and wings detached. I fly with a 4000mah 3S and no lead.
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:44 AM
Lipo Burner
Joined Mar 2012
691 Posts
Hehe. I lost my magnets for my canopy a long time ago. I fly with clear packing tape wrapped around my canopy. Plane is now officially ready for the first 6s flight. Just gotta check the control surfaces one last time. Should I add cf strips to the tail boom and v tail?
Last edited by dcame002; Oct 16, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
28 Posts
Can someone please advise me on my case I boguth a Zephyr and everything is damage out of the box

Kindly please go to this link and read
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...d3855a33b1bc33
sookainian is offline Find More Posts by sookainian
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:25 PM
|Taranis|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,337 Posts
If anybody finds themselves with an extra Zephyr canopy cover in the states please send me a PM. I'd like to acquire a replacement.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:34 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sookainian View Post
Can someone please advise me on my case I boguth a Zephyr and everything is damage out of the box

Kindly please go to this link and read
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/f...d3855a33b1bc33
Like one of the respondents said in your thread you need to lodge a complaint with Hobbyking first, which you have done. If you have to mail the item back, its at your cost, and if your unhappy with the outcome then you have 45days from purchase to lodge Paypal dispute. The predicament that Hobbyking always has is deciding whether the item did come out of the box like that. I'm not doubting you but Hobbyking must have to sift through many complaints and decide which are legit. Good luck.
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47