HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Thanks, ridge_racer. Looks good.

For the piro rate try increasing your rudder EPA's.

The swashplate limit (Setup L) is used to give you more cyclic range, if you feel the cyclic is too slow.

The control behavior (parameter B) is like changing a built in expo and perhaps DR setting. A lot of people set this to radio/transmitter (blue) and then rely on setting the expo and DR in the Tx. You may also find it removes some damping, which you are seeing mostly in the pitch.

For the heading lock gain (parameter D) most would not set this past high (blue flashing). With MB v3, when you set this to high, no tail compensation is requires (at least this is the case with my Gaui X5).
+1 on everything BeenFly said. I used the futaba 9257 and gain was at F and did not experienced any wag with FF and turns.

Ridge thanks for the video man. looks great!
HobbyCool_tech is offline Find More Posts by HobbyCool_tech
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2012, 09:57 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyCool_tech View Post
+1 on everything BeenFly said. I used the futaba 9257 and gain was at F and did not experienced any wag with FF and turns.

Ridge thanks for the video man. looks great!
Thank you for the opportunity to test this great product. I made the suggested changes and will hopefully get some film with sport flying/mild 3d in.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old May 25, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Jan 2012
142 Posts
awesome Ridge, looking forward to the video.
Old May 25, 2012, 11:30 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
Installation (Align 550E, DS610 cyclic, HK47110DMG tail):

Installation went very well. Having a digital pitch gauge makes life easy. The supplied leads are generously long and made of good solid wire. I side mounted the gyro (with ZYX foam) upside down and had no issues with setup. I had to reverse elevator, pitch and rudder in the Aurora 9 Tx. The Rx is an Optima 9.

For the maiden I set +/- 12 degree pitch and 10 degrees cyclic. Tail gain was set to a true gain of 32 and the F led was lit.

For the parameter setting I had B on blue (radio) and C & D on the red (medium). Tx expo was set to 40 for cyclic and 30 for the tail.

My 550E has a lowered head using the 600DFC rotor housing, which gives it good cyclic response, and looks a lot better, as well. I've left the 3G gyro on the rotor housing until I'm sure the Hobbymate is a step in the right direction. I don't think it will be there for long.

Test Flight (front section - not a lot of space for a 550)

I'm impressed. It feels good and very stable. This heli makes my front section feel very small, so I was a bit too nervous to throw it around much.

All pots were set to center. The tail felt good and held well but the stop was a bit soft, so I will increase pot 3 a small amount. Piro speed was just right for me. The tail has a lot of travel and I'm using 90mm blades.

I'll see if the other pots need adjustment, when I can throw it around a bit more.

So far I'm very pleased.

Hover test video:

Hover Test 550E with the Hobbymate FBL unit (3 min 30 sec)
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old May 26, 2012, 12:55 AM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
893 Posts
Those videos look very promising for use in scale on the default settings.
It's going to take me a little longer to get Mine together because I had to pull my bird out of the fuse so I can put the HK in it and I have to get my head sorted out.
I got it together But dont have the RX on it yet so not able to do the programing and trimming yet Hope to test fly the air frame tomorrow to make sure that every thing is good Before I take a chance on My Fuselage
Im going to test it on the cheaper side of things to see what I can get away with on it.

Air frame is a HK450 Plastic version
cyclic servos are Turnigy's TGY-1800a
rudder is DS65HB Digital High Speed Servo 6.5g/1.5kg/.07sec
ESC is Hobbyking SS Heli Series 50-65A ESC
Motor is Turnigy L2815H Brushless 450 Heli Motor 3450kv (430w)
325mm Carbon Fiber main Blades
Stock plastic tail blades
going to use My Orange 9ch RX
The only High dollar part is going to be the Align 450DFC head
Hoping every thing well work like this and be tolerant of it.
(If it dose Good it well Find its way onto My HK600GT)
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old May 26, 2012, 09:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
142 Posts
Outstanding gentlemen! Great photos and videos.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,310 Posts
I still have alot of tail blow out on pitch pumps but I suspect the head speed might be low. I will try a 13T vs 11T with the Turnigy 2215T.
Last edited by ridge_racer; May 26, 2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,260 Posts
Black_heart, Im not someone to talk down on cheap servos....but those 1800a's might be a bit marginal. Just look inside, that motor is super small compared to something like the HXT900 and others. The gears are flimsy. I just think there are better and safer options for about the same price.

---

I hope my gyro will arrive soon. being in Europe must have delayed it somewhat.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old May 26, 2012, 05:00 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
893 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Black_heart, Im not someone to talk down on cheap servos....but those 1800a's might be a bit marginal. Just look inside, that motor is super small compared to something like the HXT900 and others. The gears are flimsy. I just think there are better and safer options for about the same price.

---

I hope my gyro will arrive soon. being in Europe must have delayed it somewhat.
Like I said Just checking tolerance of the gyro to see what you can get away with.
I dont plan on keeping them its only a test
Shoot the tail servo is sh by its self and its something I well only be using for test reasons.

I did get it all setup

Using the BeastX V1 guide was a cake walk it only took about 15-20 minutes to complete.
Hardest part was hitting the control but I kept double clicking it so I would have to go all the way back around to get back to where I started from.
I have to agree with beenflying and ridge_racer that The letters are very hard to see when the led is lit beside it.
Sure would be nice to have a PC interface to do it by.
I took it outside to do final trim out But did not go as planned I ended up ripping out my main gear HK plastic junk gears.
sure am glad I got 3 kits wasn't going to be any flying today any way as we have a steady 19mph wind with gust upto 25mph so I got time to replace the gear.
Black_heart is offline Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old May 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,310 Posts
Have any of you experienced any failed initialization? So far it has happened twice. This is with the Turnigy 9x and 6 ch hobbyking rx.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:43 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
No I haven't, but if you leave the gyro for too long after powering it, before turning on your Tx, it will timeout and not initialize until repowered.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:16 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
Maiden:

I managed to squeeze in one pack at the field before the rain set in. To start with the tail gain was too high, causing a wag, so I landed and reduced the Tx tail gain to 28. So two videos Maiden 1 & 2.

Sorry, not my best flying. I didn't want to do too much until I had more confidence with the new setup. I'd increased the cyclic limits to 12 degrees, but I still need more cyclic. I'll increase the elevator and aileron EPA's for the next flight. Perhaps increasing pot 2 a bit, might help as well.

Tail stop was better after increasing pot 3 a small amount. The tail seems to hold well, especially in the short bit of FBF I did. FF piros also seemed fine. More of this to come in another video.

I definitely prefer the way the Hobbymate flies. No strange wobbles and bobbles like the 3G has. I was hoping to do more on the second pack, but mother nature put a stop to that. It's Winter here.

So all up, this is a very good gyro. I wouldn't hesitate to put one on another heli, if the price is right.

Maiden 1 550E with the Hobbymate FBL unit (2 min 49 sec)

Maiden 2 550E with the Hobbymate FBL unit (3 min 25 sec)
Last edited by beenflying; May 27, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old May 27, 2012, 03:32 AM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,260 Posts
Impressive BF. Seems smooth and precise. Tail hold is a bit hard to judge from video's. its more of a feeling thing. The traveling backflips on the end were a nice touch. I know im practicing that next. I'm doing them only forward right now.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old May 27, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,310 Posts
BF...In the first video at 2:20 it sounded like the tail was wagging a bit. Please confirm? It sounded like the same issue I had going into fast banked turns. I only got it to stop by lowering the tail heading lock gain to red (solid)
Old May 27, 2012, 05:52 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,879 Posts
Sorry, I should have said the "tail" gain was too high, causing a wag. I've edited the post above. I dropped the Tx tail gain from 32 to 28 (which is where most of my other FBL gyros are set). I already had the gyros tail heading lock gain parameter (D) on solid red. After lowering the gain, on the second video, I did the same backward flight, as if entering into a fast funnel and the wag was gone.

I still need another flight to make sure the tail is really locked in. I'll do a backwards loop, tail slide and all going well a backwards hurricane, in my next video.