HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
Its been rain all week in NYC...still no test flight yet..
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
I hate it when that happens and I'm itching to test something new.
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old May 24, 2012, 07:01 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
you can totally test fly in the rain.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old May 24, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
you can totally test fly in the rain.
I flew a lot in the rain this season when it was calm and not pouring.
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old May 24, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
Yeah it probably would be fun to see stuff spark and smoke flying in a heavy downpour..lol
Old May 24, 2012, 09:53 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
What about this setup with an umbrella mounted on top:
inverted training kit.mpeg (1 min 45 sec)
!
Old May 24, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
That contraption looks so cumbersome...lol Did ppl really buy that for inverted training?
Old May 24, 2012, 11:03 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
I don't know how many bought it, but it was certainly advertised on quite a few sites and still is:
http://www.cnchelicopter.com/servlet...nverted/Detail
Old May 25, 2012, 07:21 AM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Bench test and 1 hour burn in of the Hobbymate flybarless gyro went well. No drift or any strange issues. Programming looks like it will be a breeze.

The unit with leads weights 39g and without leads 24g.

Some things I noted.
1/ It takes quite a while to initialize.
2/ All the setup menu settings were set to blue (the end option), so be careful if you are not using digital cyclic and tail servos.
3/ The letters beside the leds are hard to read when the led is lit.
4/ And a minor thing, my label is peeling off on one corner (by pot 3) and wont stick back down.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Hoping to fit it to the 550E tomorrow (Saturday), family permitting.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:30 AM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
Some things I noted.
1/ It takes quite a while to initialize.
2/ All the setup menu settings were set to blue (the end option), so be careful if you are not using digital cyclic and tail servos.
3/ The letters beside the leds are hard to read when the led is lit.
4/ And a minor thing, my label is peeling off on one corner (by pot 3) and wont stick back down.

I'm pretty pleased with it so far. Hoping to fit it to the 550E tomorrow (Saturday), family permitting

Been on no 2 you said all blue its factory setting
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Old May 25, 2012, 01:01 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
What about this setup with an umbrella mounted on top:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lRu2...ayer_embedded#!
It sure keeps the 450 tail out of the grass
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M
Old May 25, 2012, 03:58 PM
Texas NewB
United States, MD, Princess Anne
Joined Dec 2011
916 Posts
I got my DFC head in today so I well be putting my airwolf fuselage together tomarow with
This gyro on a HK450
Black_heart is online now Find More Posts by Black_heart
Old May 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
Review of the Hobbymate 3 axis gyro

Tarot 450 Pro V2 FBL kit
Turnigy 2215 with 11T pinion
Turnigy AE-45 ESC
Turnigy MG-90S cyclic servo
Fitec 9357D tail servo
Turnigy 9X radio

Well guys we got a break in the rain that we have been having here in NYC so I was off from work today and had a bag full of charged batteries. So I decided to finally do a test flight of this gyro. I installed the gyro on my new Tarot 450 Pro V2 FBL. Setup isn't too bad providing you use the Beast-X version 1 manual. I set the cyclic gains a little higher than half. I did the same for swashplate direct gain. Finally for the tail dynamic gain I initially started at the midway point but during my hover test I have a little bounce on left rudder. In the end I left it at minimum setting. For the gain setting I initial started at H which is displayed on top of the gyro. However it had a wag so I dropped it back to (F). I really enjoy the fact that you can visually see that current true gain settings on top the the gyro. You have two separate rings of LEDs that go from A which is the lowest gain setting to N which is the highest setting. You also have a status light that tell you if you are in rate or head hold mode. The control behavior was set to Pro and cyclic pitch set for 6 deg. I think this is a good setting for most Sport and mild 3D fliers. The swashplate pitch up behavior was left stock at medium. Finally the tail heading lock gain was set to high. During my hover tests the heli felt very stable but the cyclic felt a little slow. Pirouettes were just as lock in as my ALZRC 3GY aka Robird G31. Only complaint is that they were slow and I haven't figured out how to increase the speed. I proceeded to do some sport flying but noticed that during FFF and turns the tail would wag. I suspect that I needed to reduce the tail heading lock gain from high to medium. As for stability performing transitions from upright to inverted flight, the controls were very crisp and the heli felt very stable even when the wind pick up a bit. I do have one major complain in regards to cyclic and collective controls. I noticed while doing full positive to negative pitch pumps that there seems to be a control loop delay. I don't think it will be a problem for the average pilot but a Pro will notice it while throwing a heli around close to the deck. Overall I think this is a very good gyro and is on par with the other offerings.

Pros;
Fairly easy to set up using the tx sticks and Beast-X Version1 manual
Solid aluminum case with intuitive LED status lights for all the settings/options
Separate servo leads with plenty of length for connecting the unit to the rx
Great stability with stock 6 deg cyclic and Pro setting for control behavior
Solid tail hold and hands free pirouettes....

Cons;
No PC link available yet...DO-NOT connect or update with the Beast-X firmware
Pirouettes are slow...need to see if I can increase the rate in Pro control behavior
Noticeable control loop delay
Minor wag on tail in FFF and turns but I suspect this was caused by having the gyro setting for tail heading lock gain too high...will try again tomorrow with a lower setting
Pro cyclic setting felt more like Sport. Not as aggressive as my Robird G31.
Need an option for collective to tail comp for slower and/or lower torque servos.
Slow to initialize and letters a little hard to read next to the LED when lite.

Hover test of Hobby Mate 3 axis gyro (7 min 13 sec)
Old May 25, 2012, 07:14 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,912 Posts
Thanks, ridge_racer. Looks good.

For the piro rate try increasing your rudder EPA's.

The swashplate limit (Setup L) is used to give you more cyclic range, if you feel the cyclic is too slow.

The control behavior (parameter B) is like changing a built in expo and perhaps DR setting. A lot of people set this to radio/transmitter (blue) and then rely on setting the expo and DR in the Tx. You may also find it removes some damping, which you are seeing mostly in the pitch.

For the heading lock gain (parameter D) most would not set this past high (blue flashing). With MB v3, when you set this to high, no tail compensation is requires (at least this is the case with my Gaui X5).
Old May 25, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
2,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenflying View Post
Thanks, ridge_racer. Looks good.

For the piro rate try increasing your rudder EPA's.

The swashplate limit (Setup L) is used to give you more cyclic range, if you feel the cyclic is too slow.

The control behavior (parameter B) is like changing a built in expo and perhaps DR setting. A lot of people set this to radio/transmitter (blue) and then rely on setting the expo and DR in the Tx. You may also find it removes some damping, which you are seeing mostly in the pitch.

For the heading lock gain (parameter D) most would not set this past high (blue flashing). With MB v3, when you set this to high, no tail compensation is requires (at least this is the case with my Gaui X5).
Thx BF....I will increase the EPA for faster piro rates. I will also reset the cyclic for 8 deg but 6 seems great for mild 3d...I lowered the heading lock gain to (red) medium so hopefully that cures the FFF wag.