SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:01 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
Barry, I used the tiled plans but increased the wing area by simply adding 1" total to the chord. I added 1/2" to the leading and trailing edges. I also used the same cut line for the aileron, which increased them by 1/2" on the trailing edge.

Check the post above this…it explains the stiffener.

The motor stick is a standard GWS size piece of balsa that is epoxied to the 3mm carbon rod. You can get the sticks precut here: http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=T151155
Or make your own, they are 3/16 X 5/16 or 5mm X 8mm.

No other note worthy changes… You will have to mount the battery farther forward. The CG comes out farther aft.
BGarrison is offline Find More Posts by BGarrison
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:04 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
For a happier motor you could try a gws ips C drive with a 11x7 HD prop (or 10x47 if you prefer, but a little less good for hovering etc). I've found this to be great for my T3D
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:10 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
Someone ...please make a small IPS motor replacment that is BRUSHLESS.... I like small airframes with small batteries....

I just burned up another CN12RXC. Rarely did I use full power... I estimated 15min total run time today.

jpflyer.... your the man for wearing out your mini GeeBee before the IPS.... What was the pack you were using on the GB again?
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:29 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
batteries

I used etecs 3 cell 250s exclusively on my A drives. Anything bigger and they tend to go away faster. Don't forget the heatsink and the thermal paste for longer motor life.
jpflyer
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Nov 17, 2003, 09:40 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
so you think the 340mAh 3s1p pack is making that much difference? I am showing Apprx 3A... I remember in an earlier post you said apprx 2A.. I was thinking that was on the 2s1p. Thats what I get for confusing Volts and Amps... Just getting the hang of this electric stuff.

I have the 8 roll special coming from fast-pack.com.

Thanks Larry
Old Nov 18, 2003, 12:51 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2001
1,292 Posts
The 340's are capable of keeping much better voltage under the draw of the ips motor than the 250's.

In my opinion pulling 3 amps into the ips motors will kill them quick.

Try a IPS C setup as it has a better gear ratio for three cells and still gives you a lot more power than the a ratio on two cells. That or drop down to the 250's.

I wonder if there is a nice light speed control that will take 4s lipo's and still allow for a bec?
Mikey-flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey-flies
Old Nov 19, 2003, 05:11 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
Mikey.... I can confirm your opinion is correct. 3A kills them in less than 15 min total run time run time!

I will try a C drive.
Old Dec 01, 2003, 12:12 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
Just thought I would post my successful motor battery combo with a link to the video.

I am using the GWS A box with an E-Tec 3s1p 250mAh and an APC 9X6 slow fly prop… I am up to 40 min of accumulated flying time with no signs of problems.

This combo yields an amp draw of 1.3 at full throttle!

Thanks again jpflyer for starting a great thread!

http://bgarrison.rchomepage.com/ulty2.wmv

Cheers
Bert
Old Dec 01, 2003, 02:17 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
jpflyer

I basically built the same reduced size Ulti but used blu cor all the way around uinstead of using 3 mm for the wing.

Mine was also a hoot to fly.

For power I used a C drive IPS with 3 Li Po cells 340MA and 700MA Prop was an 11x8

I'll post pics tonight

I'll probably build another lighter one
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Dec 01, 2003, 02:45 PM
Jax, FL
Joined Oct 2003
24 Posts
Hi all! This is my first post so please bear with me. I just wanted to put up a pic of my 23” UB and give you guys some info on it. I wanted some thing that could handle a little wind so I made a full fuse version of the UB (full fuse method that I stole from someone) using a GWS 350c D-gear & 2s1p1200 ET. It has plenty of power to hover and vertical climb & flies very nice in 10-15mph winds. This is my favorite plane right now because it seems the wind is always blowing. Thanks Tim H for the plans and all for the truck load of info.
Lefuler is online now Find More Posts by Lefuler
Old Dec 01, 2003, 02:47 PM
Jax, FL
Joined Oct 2003
24 Posts
One more pic.
Old Dec 01, 2003, 02:48 PM
TeamZiering
Chandler, AZ
Joined Mar 2002
1,859 Posts
Looks great. I'm going to try and make one of these. How is the knife edge with the full fuse?

-Josh
enigmabomb is offline Find More Posts by enigmabomb
Old Dec 01, 2003, 03:42 PM
United States, NY, Marion
Joined Sep 2001
494 Posts
Lefueler,

Is the whitish tape on the wings fiberglass reinforced packing tape? I'm looking for a cheaper reinforcing solution than carbon fiber.

Thanks for any info. She looks great!

Hugh Mason
ScienceGuy is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuy
Old Dec 01, 2003, 03:48 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
great flyer

B. Garrison, that was a great video and great flying too. It is always too windy to fly my little ulty outdoors, so mine is tweaked for indoor flying (with lots of obstacles). I've never had so much fun with an RC airplane. I hope everyone enjoys theirs.
jpflyer
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Dec 01, 2003, 04:20 PM
Jax, FL
Joined Oct 2003
24 Posts
Josh,
I dont know how it knife edges yet, i'm still learning. sorry

Hugh,
The tape is fiberglass packing tape but I also have a 4mm cf rod in the bottom wing.

If anyone trys this with the full fuse I would make the elevator a little bit bigger.

Patrick