HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2003, 02:31 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
jpflyer, I have followed your post and like your little ulty... however I can not seem to get a single IPS motor to last more than a few min with a small 3s1p LiPo and the Dual IPS a few more min???

I used a 340mAh, 3s2p with a single IPS A drive with heat sink and 1047 prop. On the meter it pulled 9.7 Amps full power... Ouch!

Earlier in the post you mention your using an IPS A drive, 1047 and 2A ESC.... What battery were you using? In the pics above, what battery/motor combo?

Just curious on your motor life?

Boy we need a tiny brushless for these IPS gearboxes!

Thanks
Bert
BGarrison is offline Find More Posts by BGarrison
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2003, 02:54 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
Batteries

I am using Etec 250s 3 cells. I don't think I've ever pulled more than about 2.1 A out of my setup. I had one motor last one flight (and I think it was a mislabelled 4.8 volt instead of 7.2), but most last between 5 to 10 hours. I run my Mini GB on the same set up and the GB is wore out but I am still on the original motor, probably pushing 20 hours or more. I limit my flights to about 6 minutes (I use a timer) and I let the battery and motor cool between flights. I only fly these indoors, as I burn up the motors flying outdoors fighting the wind etc. If I can ever find a PJS 300 I am going to try one of those on the little Ulty. On the twin drive setup, I use the 4.8 volt IPSD and a ThunderPower 2 cell 700 pack. I have never wore out the dual but only have a two to three hours on one of those. I like the light weight of the single drive for indoors.
jpflyer
jpflyer is offline Find More Posts by jpflyer
Old Nov 16, 2003, 03:14 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
Ok... I think the 9.7A was with a bad motor...I just ran a new IPS A on the 340 3s1p/1047 and full power was 3.6A. 2.1A just like you on a Thunder Power 860mAh...

Never thought about the outside flying being more of a strain, but that makes perfect sense!

Why the 4.8 V IPSD and not the 7.2V?
Old Nov 16, 2003, 04:28 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
4.8 vs. 7.2

The 4.8 motors on 2 cell lipo last longer than the 7.2 on 3 cells. There is a small weight savings from one less cell and the power is fanastic. I've run both and the power is about the same, just a matter of choice.
jpflyer
Old Nov 16, 2003, 06:51 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Good to see your sucessful fly result.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Nov 17, 2003, 01:38 PM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
859 Posts
Jpflyer,

Can you post the plans of the reduced Ultimate with the 23" wingspan but with the increases in the wingchord and aileron widths? I don't have any program that will scale the tiled pdf file I used to build my full-size, 30" Ultimate.

Thanks.

Barry
bmizes is offline Find More Posts by bmizes
Old Nov 17, 2003, 02:29 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
no plans

Sorry I don't have any plans. I used Tim's plans and when I made my templates I added one inch to the leading edge side of each wing and 1/4 inch on the aileron side. It flies fine with the stock wing, but just slows down more with the increased area wing. We fly in a small gym and the extra area helped.
jpflyer
Old Nov 17, 2003, 03:00 PM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
859 Posts
Ok, do you have the plans in which you created the shrunken, 23" wingspan version of Tim's original plans? I could add the extra amounts to these myself.

Barry
Old Nov 17, 2003, 03:20 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
plans

The shrunken plans are on page #1 post #8 of this thread. I don't know if they are tiled, but if not, save it to disk. Then take it to Kinko's and have them print the plans. It cost me less than $2 to have them print the plans.
jpflyer
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:09 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
Another 23" Ulty Flys!

Just got back from the maiden on my 23” Tim H. jpflyer, Ultimate. Thought everyone would like to see another successful example.

Thanks Tim for the original design and jpflyer for the idea/inspiration…. HappyHarry, Thanks for getting the tiled PDF (Saved me a trip to Kinkos)

The rain kept me in all weekend so I got out the “Sturdy Board” and went to work.

The Ulty flew great right off the board with little trim correction. Right aileron was needed, two clicks. I am not the best at 3D (reason I like these foamies) but it flew every aerobatic maneuver I could! Snap rolls are a snap! Inverted, outside loops, bla bla bla….. It was a mini IMAC plane.

Ok, the specs:

GWS A Gear Box
3s1p 340mAh LiPo (do not know the manufacturer)
GWS 1047
GWS Pico BB Servo X 3
GWS RX
GWS ICS100 ESC
Carbon Tape and rods
“Blenderm” tape for the hinges. (This stuff is awesome for smaller planes , very light and sticks very well)

5.4 oz ready to fly
3A full power

Whole lotta fun for $1.97 and stuff I had laying around the shop!

Keep those ideas coming!

Cheers
Bert
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:16 PM
USA, TX, Corpus Christi
Joined Oct 2001
799 Posts
great news

I'm glad others are finding out what a winner this one is. Now get to fast-pack.com and get some colored tape to make it look purdy.
jpflyer
Larry Cox
Probro # 67
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:17 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
Another...
Old Nov 17, 2003, 04:45 PM
United States, NY, Marion
Joined Sep 2001
494 Posts
Bert,

What a coincidence, i just stripped my first whole sheet of sturdyboard ever after school today. I wondered if it would be sturdy enough to take Depron's place with a mini-ultimate and here is a beauty posted on the thread I'm following. You did a great job!

A couple of questions:

Did one sheet really do the whole aircraft?

Is the fuselage doubled material? If so how did you glue the two sheets together?

Hope it flys as great as it looks!

Hugh
ScienceGuy is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuy
Old Nov 17, 2003, 05:14 PM
Aerial Photographer
United States, OH, Nova
Joined Mar 2003
516 Posts
Hugh, Thanks... Not to steal from jpflyers thread... but yes it fits on one sheet of sturdy board.

No, the fuse is one piece stiffened with a 3mm carbon rod. (tube would have been lighter but I used what I had on hand) I routed a channel with the dremel and glued it in with CA

It fly’s surprisingly well... I say that because for what I spent on other airframes of this size I could have built 100 of these small Ulty's. So the surprising thing is it's simplicity and cost for it awesome performance.

I hope that helps..
Old Nov 17, 2003, 07:53 PM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
859 Posts
BGarrison,

1. Did you use the 23" wingspan plans as is or did you add the extra width to the wing chord and ailerons?

2. Because of the reduced size, did you still use a 4mm tube/rod for the fuse or go with a smaller one, say 3mm?

3. What did you use for the motor stick to accommodate the smaller motor mount on the IPS Gearbox?

4. Did you make any other noteworthy changes on the little Ulty that you could share?

Thanks.

Barry