HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing ASW28 Fiberglass Scale Glider - Motor Help

I am picking up this baby as my next FPV rig: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...9_6in_ARF.html

I dont know much about gliders so I had some motor questions.

I am guessing lower KV bigger prop is best for a glider?

I wrote it all out and she should come out to about 4.5 - 5 lbs with a 5000mah lipo in there. Any motor suggestions?
airbagit13 is online now Find More Posts by airbagit13
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
GB
Joined Sep 2000
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
I am picking up this baby as my next FPV rig: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...9_6in_ARF.html

I dont know much about gliders so I had some motor questions.

I am guessing lower KV bigger prop is best for a glider?

I wrote it all out and she should come out to about 4.5 - 5 lbs with a 5000mah lipo in there. Any motor suggestions?

Hi,yes I have built the flyfly asw28,which i think is identical in size and manufacture as the one you mentioned...heres a link to my review/build/test thread... http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,86772.0.html

chris.T

PS...you will notice I have converted it and cut flaps into the wing.I beileve you can buy this model from HK with flaps now,you couldent when I bought mine.I cannot recommend flaps enough.Without them you will have to land an over weight bomb which will destroy its self on a less than perfect landing.Mine now with flaps settles down nicely and positively where i want it with a very short field landing.Without flaps it will take a very long approach to land it safely.I notice you are new to gliders...this will be a shock to you as a glider,It needs speed all the time.If you slow this baby down with no flaps it will drop out the sky.Dont get me wrong,I love it but have been flying gliders for over 30yrs.Its not really an ideal first glider...just thought I would warn you...chris.T
christopher.traynor is offline Find More Posts by christopher.traynor
Last edited by christopher.traynor; Apr 23, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Thanks ill check out your build/review.

I am building it more as a warmliner then a glider so that will be fine. Its my first glider but like my 1 millionth plane so I should be fine. I am concerned about the lack of flaps though. I cant find the model that comes with flaps on HKs site and since the wing is made of balsa/ply I am not sure how I would go about adding my own.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:30 PM
GB
Joined Sep 2000
69 Posts
Quote:
Thanks ill check out your build/review.

I am building it more as a warmliner then a glider so that will be fine. Its my first glider but like my 1 millionth plane so I should be fine. I am concerned about the lack of flaps though. I cant find the model that comes with flaps on HKs site and since the wing is made of balsa/ply I am not sure how I would go about adding my own.
This is the flapped version.You can bin the pilot though,its the wrong scale..this was not available for me as I bought mine 2.5yrs ago now.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14418
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Awesome! And its USA warehouse. Good find.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 03:59 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Any servo recommendations for a bird this size? Preferably not $30 a servo. I would like to grab something from Value Hobby, HobbyPartz.com or HeadsupRC. Thanks so much~!

What do you think about using Hxt900s?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
GB
Joined Sep 2000
69 Posts
Quote:
Any servo recommendations for a bird this size? Preferably not $30 a servo. I would like to grab something from Value Hobby, HobbyPartz.com or HeadsupRC. Thanks so much~!

What do you think about using Hxt900s?
Hmmmm.. Dont forget this is quite a heavy bird.On fast hotliner/warmliner passes its probably doing 60-70mph and weighs over 5lb..a lot of mass for a weak 9g servo to control,over and over again.

There are cheap servos with plenty of power...if you want to keep it cheap use these..i have had good results,they are fast, powerful and cheap,but like all chineese cheap servos their quality control is poor so 2 in 10 might be faulty.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23595

I test them fully with a servo tester for about 100cycles before use to weed out the faulty ones.for no worries at all use hitec 65mg but they come at a price.I have some 5065mg in mine(the digi version) and they are superb but pricey.You pays your money and takes your chance.There could be lots of other servos but like i say ,its a fast bird, the servos come under a lot of strain..chris.T

PS..they are a lot bigger than a 9g servo so could be a tight fit...but certainly up to the job if you get some that work!..me ,I would put hs65 allround for piece of mind and spend that little more..its a superb glider once built and you only want to install the servos once..
Last edited by christopher.traynor; Apr 23, 2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:37 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Oct 2009
522 Posts
I'm building my first version one of these HK ASW 28 gliders and converting to folding prop. What CoG are you guys recommending? I'm guessing circa 60mm from the LE at the root?

many thanks in advance,

Si G
Si Goodchild is offline Find More Posts by Si Goodchild
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:55 PM
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,500 Posts
Mine is still sitting in storage.. to many projects. My buddy just finished his. i will ask him tomorrow.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:16 AM
Gold Coast Australia
Joined Sep 2010
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Goodchild View Post
I'm building my first version one of these HK ASW 28 gliders and converting to folding prop. What CoG are you guys recommending? I'm guessing circa 60mm from the LE at the root?

many thanks in advance,

Si G
Go to the post under electric gliders ASW28, lots of info and answers to all your questions
Regards
Tony
Biggles51 is offline Find More Posts by Biggles51