HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:59 AM
United States, IL, Naperville
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Dirty Birdy Build Thread

Great Planes Dirty Birdy ARF Build Thread...coming soon!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXAYNV

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba*

*Futaba is imported by Hobbico Inc which owns Great Planes,Tower Hobbies and is the importer of O.S. Engines.
Berusty is offline Find More Posts by Berusty
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
Build...assembly begins!!

The Great Planes Dirty Birdy ARF was created from the original Bridi design, acquired in an acquisition by Great Planes (Don Anderson) many moons ago.

The fiberglass fuselage used in this ARF was created FROM AN ORIGINAL DIRTY BIRDY EPOXY GLASS FUSELAGE!!!!!!!!! I have read posts that inferred that Great Planes, insert your preferred uneducated, bad guess, erroneous comment of your choice, did not base the model on the original airplane. The model's nose has been lengthened in order to accept a variety of engines (modern engines are longer!!). In my opinion, the model is exactly the same from the firewall back.

The second picture clearly shows the beautiful canopy fuselage concave transition...better than my carefully built wooden Dirty Birdy kit!

Ruty Dose
Team Futaba
Old Apr 24, 2012, 08:11 AM
That's so classic you.
United States, NC, Stokesdale
Joined Jul 2006
347 Posts
From my RCU post:

Thanks Rusty. Looks like the GP engine mounting pattern is "square". Can you investigate the possibility of an up-right mounted engine? Other than the engine mount holes lining up, I'm wondering if the cowl will fit with the engine mount set to accept large case engine like an SF?
Generic Member is offline Find More Posts by Generic Member
Old Apr 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,842 Posts
Rusty,

it looks like there might be right thrust built in from the position of the mount bolts. If so, is the FW also angled or is that to be shimmed with the mount?

It would be interesting to know the component weights of the airframe (fuse, stab & tubes, wing, cowl) to compare this to a built up version. Given your wooden version is almost at the same stage, perhaps you could weight that airframe too (despite the flying surfaces not being covered).

David
doxilia is offline Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
CPA# 39
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
That is .... WOW!

There really doesn't seem to be anything to worry about anymore.

Looking forward to the rest of the review!

Brian
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
Fuel consumption and the tank size...

There seems to be some concern about the size of the included tank and fuel consumption. Pilots are commenting that they remember needing 16 ounces of fuel to feed the monster engines of yester-year.

My observations:

Props- The Zinger, Rev-up, Top Flite, MK glass, and even the trick DW props are infinitely less efficient and crappy relative to the APC props. Dave Guerin and I spent an afternoon flying a couple of airplanes with a half a dozen flights with the above props and endied with the APC. Fuel consumption was much different due to the throttle stick position.

Flight times- I am only able to concentrate for about 8 - 9 minutes so if I want about that much fuel. I have seen very good pilots fly the Hangar 9 Phoenix 7 for 12 - 13 minutes with the stock tank and the EVO and pipe...my brain quit calling the manuevers, let a lone flying.

Header tank- There is room to add a 4 - 6 ounce tank in the space in front of the servo tray in the Dirty Birdy. A drawing is below. Note that the pump line simply connects to the motor.

I belienve that the included tank will provide 8 - 9 minutes of flight times. I will test once I fly it.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,892 Posts
One man's opinion here..... First a question 'cause I don't know. How long does it take to fly a pattern sequence?

IMO, if the sequence can be flown with the amount of fuel on board, then the tank is big enough. Now I do realize a lot of these will be flown as sport planes, which is another ball game!

ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:03 PM
CPA# 39
United States, MN, Brooklyn Center
Joined May 2009
721 Posts
I would guess it could go longer... I saw someone post recently the Masters sequence took them almost 8 minutes... and that was taking his time and going long and wide on the returns.

Novice and Sportsman will go a lot faster.

8 minutes is a fair amount of time.... relatively speaking anyhow.

Brian
EscapeFlyer is offline Find More Posts by EscapeFlyer
Old Apr 24, 2012, 01:39 PM
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
721 Posts
Ken,

For the Sportsman sequence, I think you can fly through it in about 4 1/2 to 5 minutes. For the intermediate, I think it takes me about 5 1/2 to 6 minutes per sequence. This could be a very nice entry plane.

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
Assembly continued...more details

The retract bay is very innovative as it seals the compartment from the normal crap associated from glow fuel spray and supports the tank. (See photo)

How long does it take to fly the BPA Masters pattern?

7 1/2 minutes to landing if you have an organized and flowing turn around decisions. I typically use a 1/2 cuban 8 or a 1/2 reverse cuban 8 and a top hat with 1/4 rolls to move in or out due to wind conditions. I am going to add the header tank just because I want to fly the pattern 2x per practice flight.

Elevator and Rudder pushrod view. The photo shows the center tubes for the elevator pushrods, the large diameter on right is for the rudder pusrod and the skinny one is for a 72mhz antenna(?).

I will replace the pushrods with .06/.07 carbon fiber rod and Central Hobbies pushrod ends. Much lighter and super fast to create.

Glamour shot of my 1994 TOC Extra 300 sitting in the living room (my wife has not noticed it yet!)

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:51 PM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
871 Posts
Rusty,

Any progress???

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
Progress...

I have just about gathered all of the parts and considering building another DB without retracts and no tuned pipe. This is interesting from the perspective of how well the model flies for the least amount of cost. If it would be really terrific it is easier to make a case for promoting very aggressively as an all around high performance model attracting a larger group of modelers.

I have the weekend to build the model and could almost be ready to fly it Sunday afternoon...

The Robart retracts will not be available until late next week and I am too impatient to fly this thing.

I need to order another kit!

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba
Old Apr 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,905 Posts
Get a Phoenix 7! (Sorry, I couldn't resist )

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:49 AM
USA, CT, Farmington
Joined Nov 2003
871 Posts
I'll be getting my DB either tonight or tomorrow.

Just for Andy - been flying the snot out of my P7!! It'll be interesting to fly them back to back and see what the differences are.

R
imodel is offline Find More Posts by imodel
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Apr 2007
303 Posts
What is better than one Dirty Birdy?

Getting another!

Ordered and assume it will be here when I get the retracts and I will work to get one ready to fly by Sunday afternoon with O.S. 61 FX, muffler and minimal hardware changes from original.

Andy- I actually have (2)!! I also have the little UMX Gee Bee, UMX Beast and UMX S-Bach which I enjoy very much.

Rusty Dose
Team Futaba